Sign in to follow this  
umesh

RE: Car dealer fined for pretending to be private seller

Stranger reading this , we all know it goes on and only last week I contacted a 'private seller' about a car he was advertising , I asked him what the service history was and he said " which car?" I asked had he got more than one for sale ? " 3 replied" I said so you're a trader ? " well I buy & sell a few was his answer" I asked why the ad stated 'private seller ' he didn't answer !

So many innocent buyers get caught out with this , the man in this article has got away conning customers and avoiding paying tax! the amount fined is a joke! I wonder if the HMRC are looking into this as well ?

It would be good if there was more public awareness of issues like these, such problems would  really make people think twice about buying off the side of the road/with private sellers. I would think that a lot of people do not know stuff like this goes on sadly.

Look through the classifieds and tell me the difference in price point between trade and retail sales. It used to be that a private sale was cheaper because  you got no support and come back etc.. however these days private sellers just look at what dealers are offering and ask the same. 

This can only be a good thing for trade sales surely?

I blame Ebay for inventing a new sort of seller, that is, one who is clearly 'trade', but doesnt obviously advertise the fact. Sort of trade but with a very small T! :huh:

• Like 1

I have to agree, we do have eBay and general internet boom to blame, that's even for private sellers asking top dollar for their car both in Px or as a private sale. I'm sure this has contributed to the increased rise of used cars