Sign in to follow this  
umesh

Dealers - ATM

Very , very annoyed with a fellow motor dealer on ATM this morning!
BIG group – 308 Favourites (IF That means anything these days! ) Typically they always put ‘offers over’ never a price, cars are physical – never get through on the phone to give a price and buy so have to simply email a bid and hope for the best. Very annoying at times as a conversation would be easier and you know if you’ve bought it or not.
I’ve never had a reply back even when I’ve asked a couple of days later if I own or not! Last week I bid on a Passat and on the email I put ‘Offer is valid until close of business 17th March’  yesterday afternoon I got an email ‘ is it too late’  I replied No , is the car down to me? “Yes – here are the contact details of the branch where the car isâ€
I emailed both (Group seller & sales manager at branch) so say I have a driver who can collect this morning, please email invoice, bank details etc.
This morning no emails or faxes !  rang the dealer left message with receptionist to say PLEASE – can someone organise invoice etc as I don’t want the driver hanging around.
Just got a call to say “ the group buyer had jumped the gun – they got a lot more than I’d offered –sorry† !!!
Apparently they had a conversation last night /late pm about it ? so why not make a call or email me then – WHY wait until I’m chasing them ? The driver could have been there this morning at 8.00am waiting as I have a confirmation it’s down to me! 
How unprofessional ? and as for the 308 Favourites ..........

One of the main reason I stopped using ATM, your basicly dealing with a bunch of people who don't care about your business. It almost became a 'Retail' site a few years ago and there are no safegaurds in place to protect the buyer.

Sometimes the amount of unprofessional service in the motor trade amazes me and lots seem to be from Main Dealers. I know you don't like auctions Umesh (I'm sure you have said before but correct me if i'm wrong) but aleast you know what your getting as most have condition reports etc etc and you know if its yours or not.

Very , very annoyed with a fellow motor dealer on ATM this morning!

BIG group – 308 Favourites (IF That means anything these days! ) Typically they always put ‘offers over’ never a price, cars are physical – never get through on the phone to give a price and buy so have to simply email a bid and hope for the best. Very annoying at times as a conversation would be easier and you know if you’ve bought it or not.

I’ve never had a reply back even when I’ve asked a couple of days later if I own or not! Last week I bid on a Passat and on the email I put ‘Offer is valid until close of business 17th March’  yesterday afternoon I got an email ‘ is it too late’  I replied No , is the car down to me? “Yes – here are the contact details of the branch where the car isâ€

I emailed both (Group seller & sales manager at branch) so say I have a driver who can collect this morning, please email invoice, bank details etc.

This morning no emails or faxes !  rang the dealer left message with receptionist to say PLEASE – can someone organise invoice etc as I don’t want the driver hanging around.

Just got a call to say “ the group buyer had jumped the gun – they got a lot more than I’d offered –sorry† !!!

Apparently they had a conversation last night /late pm about it ? so why not make a call or email me then – WHY wait until I’m chasing them ? The driver could have been there this morning at 8.00am waiting as I have a confirmation it’s down to me! 

How unprofessional ? and as for the 308 Favourites ..........

Does there Company name start with S ? 

• Like 1

One of the main reason I stopped using ATM, your basicly dealing with a bunch of people who don't care about your business. It almost became a 'Retail' site a few years ago and there are no safegaurds in place to protect the buyer.

Sometimes the amount of unprofessional service in the motor trade amazes me and lots seem to be from Main Dealers. I know you don't like auctions Umesh (I'm sure you have said before but correct me if i'm wrong) but aleast you know what your getting as most have condition reports etc etc and you know if its yours or not.

Amen to that!

This is an interesting thread chaps. I know Kevin and his team care passionately about customer service. Have you tried contacting he guys at ATM and discussing this with them?

I did talk to Kevin a few years ago about certain points and he did listen but they have very little control over how dealers act on a given day. I know he talked about 3 warnings and then you were out (this was in relation to 'buyer's but i'm sure it was the same rule for all). The truth is that no one at ATM is going to compensate a dealer who has spent a day  travelling 200 miles to pick up a car only to find it's not a described. The same problem exsists on Dealer-Auction, dealers just want to get the highest prices for the car to balance to books, most don't care because it's not their money, its the people who are buying with their own money that lose out either financialy and or in time and effort.

With the monthly price of ATM going up at will I finally lost faith with it.

James, I know Kevin is very passionate and to be honest he has over the years got involved with the odd one or two dealers who've not played the game.

At the end of the day not much Kevin can do, some dealers simply do not understand the frustration of what they do or the consequences of their actions.

In the above situation - I've lost a sale , wasted valuable time and effort ( whats that's worth? £££ ) luckily the driver managed to get diverted in time and has not 'billed' me for his wasted time.

This time I've not spoken to Kevin- .....

Does there Company name start with S ? 

I don't mind saying that every time i have bid on cars belonging to the Sinclair group ( not saying this is whom Umesh is referring to )   :)  i have never had a response so stopped trying . 

ATM will not reprimand or ban a dealer that are supplying them with stock, they can do without small dealers but the source of stock is something they will not jeopardise

I don't mind saying that every time i have bid on cars belonging to the Sinclair group ( not saying this is whom Umesh is referring to )   :)  i have never had a response so stopped trying . 

ATM will not reprimand or ban a dealer that are supplying them with stock, they can do without small dealers but the source of stock is something they will not jeopardise

If enough small dealers leave though, like I did myself recently, then surely they are going to have to take note.

I found ATM handy for getting bids on oddball cars I was afraid of but as for buying, given the choice of stock that is out there to buy on other platforms at the touch of the button, I really don't need ATM or dealers like s******* in my life.

Dear Umesh,

Firstly I would like to apologise to you for having had such a recent bad experience across Autotrade-mail and I would like your permission to contact the offender with possibly sending the following.

Dear S,

As you are aware a unique and powerful part of our system is that we allow dealers to trade directly amongst themselves. It is however, in everybody's interest that we take any complaints about dealers not "playing the game" very seriously.

We have received a number of complaints about your business and whilst I do not want to go into specifics of these complaints, it seems only fair to bring this to your attention.  Whilst I appreciate that there are always two sides to a story we do log complaints to see if a pattern emerges against particular businesses.

We have run a "three strikes and you are off" policy for a number of years which has served our Subscribers well. As much as we value all of our Subscribers it is vital that everyone involved with Autotrade-mail is "playing the game" and therefore no single subscription is worth affecting this balance.

Unfortunately I feel we need to notify you that this is strike 2. On the Legal page of our website we do have a Best Practice section designed to help Subscribers minimise any potential misunderstandings that could occur when dealing with other Subscribers.

Please be assured that it gives me no pleasure to write to you in this manner but I feel it is vital to the future of Autotrade-mail.com that we act on complaints accordingly.

I would like to thank you for reading this letter and if you would like a further opportunity of discussing any aspect of the above please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Kevin Watson (FIMI)
Operations Director
Autotrade-mail.com

Obviously the offender, having 308 favourites would indicate to me that they may have had a recent change of staff but once I engage with them, will I understand more.

Also Gavin is absolutely right; it is difficult to control how dealers act on a given day.

Therefore it is very important for us to monitor trends and take measured action, what is nice is that when we do have to send out a 2nd strike letter over 95% do not go on to re-offend, I like to think that it is due to a number of reasons, firstly, it is unwise to get a bad reputation in a close nit tough industry and closing doors just does not make good business sense, secondly I do think human nature is one of not wanting to be disliked, thirdly they hopefully take value from their subscription with us.

I appreciate that this be of small consolation, when the offender has caused a direct cost to you or your business but please do take some value and comfort from the fact that in all probability they will act more professionally going forward and not cause another fellow member aggravation or costs, (if we are informed).

Umesh, I’m sorry for so many words but as James Baggot mentions we do care about trying to improve the industry to whom we serve, supporting all of our vetted loyal subscribers, I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind Regards
Kevin

• Like 4

Kudos Kevin, Just one point though they have been like this for years maybe a change of staff but IMO company policy . 

Thanks Kevin again for acting so promptly to this situation.

I hope by bringing this to your attention and your response, it may stop them doing this to other fellow dealers.

After all the system can only work if WE all play by the rules, once the rules start to get broken the system will lose its integrity.