used car seller

Tax discs to be scrapped

i understand the basics of this and when its to be allegedly to be introduced, but i have a few questions, is this the end of selling a car thats "taxed" ? does the "road tax" when the new system comes in, belong to the car or the owner ? surely if youve bought the tax on the direct debit dvla are introducing  you aint going to continue paying when youve sold it ? cancelled immediatley electronically ? is this a back door way to ensure every vehicle is insured ? [ punter sells car, new punter has no tax, has to have it on mid to retax ] if said customer of dvla sells car and claims refund, whats to stop the refund going to new registered keeper ? [ its happened to me !]

i dont think enough has been told yet regarding this new system so my first thoughts of brilliant! customer can tax his own car! saves me paperwork ! has been put back :mellow:

when i heard my local dvla office was closing i guessed this was coming !

IS THE DAY OF INCLUDES TAX GOING ?

There are loads of things that will be impacted by this proposed change.

How will we (or anyone) know if a car is taxed or not? In our business, our ride home is usually "anything with rent and a ticket", so that will be a problem.

The whole issue of who gets any refund or whether the tax passes on automatically to a new keeper needs a lot of clarification, especially if it's being paid monthly.

However, on a brighter note, it will allow roadside traders to park up many more old klunkers opposite your dealership, as no-one will know if they're taxed or not. Happy days.

From our understanding, you will be able to check the tax status pretty much as you can today. This "should" show if the car has been taxed for the year, or if its just monthly.

But you are correct, its far less likely that the car will come with much in the way of tax left and it will be more difficult to tell for sure.

I woudl say that within 12 - 18 months, the majority of people will pay monthly, that the way we pay for pretty much everything else, i can;t see why tax will be any different ?

Seems like a recipe for disaster for me, at least in the short term. What about those of us who as stated drive home in motors that have rent and a ticket?

What did you expect? Joined up thinking?

As always it's a case of "bright idea first, consequences whenever".

Whatever happens, it'll end up costing us.

one more thought ?  theres a 10% charge on top  if you only get 6 months rent, if you paying monthly then punter may as well get 12 month, dvla looses 10% that they got off the poor :D

important update

most questioned is whether the vehicle you jump into that wont be displaying a disc is it still taxed ? change of registered keeper ? then no, its not taxed and you risk the penalties.

this new scheme is going to cost 8 million to set up and will deliver annual net effiencey savings of 2 million by year three :rolleyes:

in simple terms the road tax will not be transferable between keepers as is today.

because you cant see the road tax in the window the new owner wouldnt know [ because he probably hasnt got internet ] if the old owner had " weighed in " the rent.

so, every car, van, wagon, or bike  has to be retaxed by the new owner from date of purchase.

i suggest that car dealer magazine looks into this very important change and gives all the details to you that i cant hope to cover in just this short note :)

but yes, as per my first post the day of " includes road tax " is going :unsure:

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/264624/3._Vehicle_excise_duty_-_administrative_changes.pdf

copy post the above google

So the previous keeper will have paid tax to the end of the current month and the new keeper will have to pay tax back to the beginning of the current month. The dear old DVLA will therefore get paid double bubble for the month. Perhaps they could invest some of their windfall into the shambolic mess that is the cherished transfer process...

I know fuel is expensive and would cripple certain businesses but what if they just added it to the price of fuel - scary pricing for some, but a lot simpler

Will they be issuing a refund with a cheque like they do now or will they  just charge the customer they extra between the price of the new tax for the new car and what they are getting a refund for?

In a way it means that tax isn't a problem for dealers anymore as it's up to the customer to deal with it but how can the customer tax the car if it isn't yet registered in their name? Does the car even have to be registered in their name to get a tax disc? If it doesn't dealers can then tax a car, use it for a few months and claim a refund (like taxing it on the green slip at present)

Have any dealers been consulted on this issue? Maybe a job for CD magazine to see if they can get an interview with the DVLA to explain how us dealers will be affected.

• Like 1

Great stuff James, would be interesting if they speak to you as I guess the largest number of un-taxed vehicle will be sitting on dealers forecourts.

We've submitted the email request to the chief exec at the DVLA and are waiting on their response. I hope they'll accept our offer of publicity for this because it's needed.

Saw this this morning, clears things up a little.

www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

Just wondering how this will affect us, taxing cars that arent showing on the insurance database as not all cars are covered all of the time?

Anyone seen any more information anywhere?

• Like 1

Looks like we should still be able to tax vehicles at the post office using the 'Green Slip'. Then once the V5 is sent off the car and tax will be registered to the customer. Or we can give the green slip (V5C/2) to the customer when the pay a deposit on the car and leave it to them to sort out.

Nice of them to announce it comes into effect on 1 October... cheers for the consultation and opportunity to point out potential flaws in the plan, especially for us in the trade.

Am I the only one that is struggling to get a grip on how this is supposed to work? There are so many different scenarios with part exchanges, demos, cherished numbers, taxation class changes etc etc. How many hours in a day do they think we have?

We've historically used px's as our ride home as long as its got 'rent and a ticket'. Is this the end for that?

I hope there's going to be a definitive guide to how this will work, covering all possible eventualities.

But I know there won't be.

Chaps I've been following this with interest. If you could all ask the DVLA five questions what would they be - let me know here and I'll try my best to get them answered for you all.

You can ask them if they plan to change the way 'Trade Plates' work and are issued.  Maybe a system that we can text the reg number of the car we are driving on trade plates so it gets logged onto a database. No need then to carry plates around with us and it won't flash up as an untaxed on ANPR camera's.

Also as the largest number of un-taxed cars will be sitting on dealers forecourts why do they seem so unwilling to engage with us. In most cases we will be educating customer on the new system, if we are in the dark then their phonelines are going to be overloaded.

Why not give the customer the opinion of leaving the remaining tax on the car? A simple tick box could slove a lot of work for all.

Also do they plan to overhaul the cherished transfer system, yet again another product that us dealers do for (their) customers yet it causes us issues. The system doesn't work for dealers with part exchange cars. There must be an easier way. Why not talk to us and delevelop a system that is used friendly for everyone.

Trade plates will be even more important once the changes come. Once a car is sold to a trader, the tax is in effect cancelled, so everything you buy will be untaxed, therefore trade plates will be needed for everything you move around !