Andy Entwistle

Smart Repairs

I'd be interested in hearing your views on the smart repair industry and suppliers. Its not an area we've touched on too much in the mag recently.

They've come under some fire and i've heard opinion from both sides of the argument and we all know that a bad smart repair won't last long and within a few months the customer will be back complaining about their paintwork, however with the way teh industry has moved on it does seem that there are some decent repairers out there.

How often do you guys need to call in smart repairers, have you had good or bad experiences. Do you actively shy away from vehicles that need small repairs, or is this part and parcel of life and smart repairs are a god send for helping us keep costs down and pick up a bargain?

Or do you still use a proper bodyshop for all your repairs and make good?

I'm very lucky in that both the SMART repairers I use ( one for dents the other for paint) are the dog's wotsits :) . I hope he is not reading this, but my dentman in particular saves me a fortune and enables me to buy stock other dealers shy away from.

In my experience, being able to do SMART repairs is a bit of a gift and you can either do it or you can't. Whilst training, practice and back up can get you to a certain level, you must have that natural hand eye coordination and be more of an artist than an accountant. 

For me there is nothing more satisfying than buying a grade 4/d car at the right money and being able to stick it on the forecourt looking like it's just come out of the box after a couple of hours worth of SMART reapir.

I've use a great 'Dent Man' but I don't really class that as a smart repair. as for bumper corners etc etc I refuse to use anything but a bodyshop. I've yet to see a smart repairer do a job that I class as to an acceptable standard. They many look glossy for about 2 minutes but as soon as you look again you can see the blend and the different shade of colour. Why would bodyshops invest in in ovens and expensive paint booths if the same result can be achived by a man in a Transit Connect with a tent and a compressor?

Walk around most BCA Centre's and you will see 'Smart' repairs at there worse, so call 'refurbed' alloys which you can peel the paint off, bumpers where you can see the masking lines and even body panels where you can see the dark shadow where the paint has been blended. Almost acceptable for the cheaper stuff but this is on BMW's in so called 'Top Car Sales'. I wish there would just sell them with the damage as it is rather then me having to repaint.

I feel half the problem is that the repairers start repairing panels rather then just sticking to bumper corners.

You may of guess by now.....I not a fan !!!

Smart repairs ! So so many so called smart repairs I've seen and tried a few over the years are appalling !  I WILL NOT use them ,even if its a bumper corner - all my cars go to the proper body shop. the only 'smart repair' I use but don't' class him as smart repair is dent devils  - Mr.Magic he really is , fantastic job, honest , decent man and always willing to do that extra to make it perfect.

I've seen cars so many cars with 'sub standard' finish and as we all know these quick fixes don't last and if the customer is going to come back to trade that car back in again you're going to have to pay again either if the customer notices it or when it comes back into stock !

I feel half the problem is that the repairers start repairing panels rather then just sticking to bumper corners.

I agree.  Anything that involves painting a panel or even blowing in to a panel is clearly not a SMART repair.

Our body shop was drying up as I think a few bodyshops are and we wanted to look at other options so invested heavily in smart repairs, windscreen chips, interior repairs etc. We done all the training, estimated £4,000 on tools and training, had a massive advertising campaign, PPC, press, direct mail, never saw a return. In the last two years we have seen two Chips away agency come and go. Think some guys are very good and I think a lot are very bad. It's a hard way to make a living in my opinion and credit to the guys who do well from it.

• Like 2

I Use a smart repairer for scuffs and he is very good, my body shop will only be used if its heavy damage.  I to use a dent man who is exceptional. 

We use a localy guy for repairs, and never use a smart repairer.

Used to use a local smart repair guy. He had an uncanny talent for colour-coding alloy wheels when he was doing bumper corners, or, worse still, managing to paint parts of a tyre Sparkle Silver on an alloy refurb.

Obviously, we've moved on since and now use a (not quite so local, but waaaaay better) bodyshop. But his legacy remains... A new verb was created: To Ron something is defined here as: "to be paid a fortune to make something worse".

• Like 1

We've rejected two cars this week from our paint man. Now gone elsewhere but paying more. You get what you pay for I guess.