Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Aston Barclay

Considering opening an account, any good or about the same as any other auction house?

1 minute ago, twerp said:

expensive and over subscirbed

Same as any other auction house then! :lol:

Stopped going there a few years ago as it got more and more expensive like the rest of them.

We used to do Chelmsford back in the day when we had a bigger operation.We only stopped because we could not get the stuff lifted quick enough for them as they were short of space.I don’t think that applies now.If it is half as good as it was 10 years ago,its worth a try.They had very good vendors then,a lot of high spec ex PLC Direct stuff ,you could not nick anything though because all the big boys were there.I recall,they were straightforward and generally good to deal with.

10 hours ago, trade vet said:

We used to do Chelmsford back in the day when we had a bigger operation.We only stopped because we could not get the stuff lifted quick enough for them as they were short of space.I don’t think that applies now.If it is half as good as it was 10 years ago,its worth a try.They had very good vendors then,a lot of high spec ex PLC Direct stuff ,you could not nick anything though because all the big boys were there.I recall,they were straightforward and generally good to deal with.

I've not been there since they moved from the old place across the road.

I get one or two bits off them online, but on the whole i find their online experience **** poor due to mechanical and bodywork appraisals that give me little confidence.

1 hour ago, met said:

I've not been there since they moved from the old place across the road.

Stories,stories........I said you could not nick any at the old Chelmsford,but I forgot,we did on one occasion and this is what happened.These were the days of fax back catalogues,you would make about 30-40 low bid selections and hope your buyer might get one or two.We used have about 4 buyers at different regional auctions most days.Every day you would nick something from somewhere.On this day,the sale has just started and our guy rings to say he has already got 3 and the big lads weren’t there and stuff is for ‘nowt’.So we just tell him ‘fill your boots’,use your own discretion.Half an hour later,he has got a dozen,then we hear nothing from him and his phone is switched off.I am thinking he must not want to be distracted etc.In the afternoon,I still cannot get him,so I ring the auction and ask how many we have bought and have you seen our guy ( who is a well known local ) at Chelmsford.They say,have you not heard ,he passed out during the auction,so we have taken him home.

What happened was,when the big lads arrived late,there may have been traffic problems ,I don’t know,but they probably heard that our guy had bought quite a few.All our guy could remember was that the big guys gofer who used to bring out trays of tea,gave him a cup of tea which must have knocked him out.We never found out what was in the tea,but we had our suspicions,however the Essex boys thought it was hilarious !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Stories,stories........I said you could not nick any at the old Chelmsford,but I forgot,we did on one occasion and this is what happened.These were the days of fax back catalogues,you would make about 30-40 low bid selections and hope your buyer might get one or two.We used have about 4 buyers at different regional auctions most days.Every day you would nick something from somewhere.On this day,the sale has just started and our guy rings to say he has already got 3 and the big lads weren’t there and stuff is for ‘nowt’.So we just tell him ‘fill your boots’,use your own discretion.Half an hour later,he has got a dozen,then we hear nothing from him and his phone is switched off.I am thinking he must not want to be distracted etc.In the afternoon,I still cannot get him,so I ring the auction and ask how many we have bought and have you seen our guy ( who is a well known local ) at Chelmsford.They say,have you not heard ,he passed out during the auction,so we have taken him home.

What happened was,when the big lads arrived late,there may have been traffic problems ,I don’t know,but they probably heard that our guy had bought quite a few.All our guy could remember was that the big guys gofer who used to bring out trays of tea,gave him a cup of tea which must have knocked him out.We never found out what was in the tea,but we had our suspicions,however the Essex boys thought it was hilarious !

Hahaha wtf must have been dog eat dog back then :lol::lol:

Hi Tradex

Enfield,what a place that was,full of Del Boys and the rest !We had to stop buying there because our transport company got ticketed outside the back gate loading our stuff and refused to go back.A while before that and before we had a buyer there,I went there a few times.The last time I went,I got a train from Stansted which was OK.However,after the sale I got the same train into London,never again.A few stations down,all these kids get on ( big kids ,mostly white ‘ ish ‘ but speaking / or shouting in  West Indian Patwah English .I was very uncomfortable to say the least .Every time the train stopped,more got on.However,we get to Seven Sisters ( I think) and everyone gets off and I have to stand in a queue to be searched by the Police with sniffer dogs.Apparently this was not unusual and this must have been in  about 2000 ! ....Isn’t on line buying wonderful......

3 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Tradex

Enfield,what a place that was,full of Del Boys and the rest !We had to stop buying there because our transport company got ticketed outside the back gate loading our stuff and refused to go back.A while before that and before we had a buyer there,I went there a few times.The last time I went,I got a train from Stansted which was OK.However,after the sale I got the same train into London,never again.A few stations down,all these kids get on ( big kids ,mostly white ‘ ish ‘ but speaking / or shouting in  West Indian Patwah English .I was very uncomfortable to say the least .Every time the train stopped,more got on.However,we get to Seven Sisters ( I think) and everyone gets off and I have to stand in a queue to be searched by the Police with sniffer dogs.Apparently this was not unusual and this must have been in  about 2000 ! ....Isn’t on line buying wonderful......

I'm lucky/unlucky as Enfield is my closest auction, about 20mins drive. I remember before the site was redeveloped and the auction stood in what is now their car park. The auction hall ran cars left to right and you would park on the A10. Back then they did evening sales too which I much prefer, shame the big two can't offer an evening sale inside 50miles of London?