Sign in to follow this  
Cokebloke007

Mileage discrepancy

Hi all, I've got a customer demanding his money after his discovered a clear mot mistake by 33 miles, he's saying it devalues the car. Where do I stand legally.

ask him by how much it devalues it

preferably wear a red nose and very large shoes as he tells you and for his sake lets hope his doors don't fall off

signed coco

• Like 1

Politely tell him that you can't be responsible for a thick-fingered mechanic not looking at the speedo correctly, plus anybody (private or otherwise) who runs a Hpi check etc can put any mileage they like in-and that any reasonable person wouldn't worry about this, but would make an informed, intelligent decision..  

It's the sort of complaint I fire straight up to Lawgistics as it sounds like 'buyers remorse to me'.

We've got one at the minute who bought a PX To Clear 145k 13 year old Land Rover Discovery with a new MOT and a Pdi. 1 month engine and box warranty- with a clear signing of the Pdi sheet, warranty terms and Point of Sale satisfaction form etc:  they complained a month later of a couple of minor issues (power steering pump noisy and a small leak from the transfer box).   I referred them to the terms of the agreement but said as a goodwill gesture we'd have a look.  They took it to a local independant we use who said no problem to sort and they booked it in for another day.  That day comes and goes with them not turning up.  

We then get the inevitable recorded delivery letter demanding a full refund (plus extra for the bluetooth radio they had installed) due to the car being not up to scratch etc.

I fired it straight up to Lawgistics who informed them of their actual rights etc and to politely not to be so stupid.  Anyway, after another week or so we receive anther recorded delivery letter saying that they have taken it to Land Rover for a full health check! (145k and 13 years old).  Funnily, the report isn't too bad but mentions things like 'back door stiff' 'Rocker cover has slight weeping of oil' 'Thrust bearing slightly noisy'. 

The customer has said they are happy to keep the car if we attend to all of Land Rover's points.  

I am awaiting Lawgistic's advice/reply. Well worth the £700 a year.

Noacross I think we have the same customer, same kind of thing, 2004 subaru impreza wrx 96k with history very nice example. Tells me his happy with the car then finds a fault then his unhappy we fix it he's happy again. A long with the milage issue he's now started to smell oil, takes it to his local garage they find nothing other than a build up of dirt/oil maybe a very slight rocker leak .... 13 year car !!!!! Unbelievable. ..

Thanks for the lawgistics reminder I'll give them a bell.

Edited by Cokebloke007

Unfortunately you 'can't help stupid'. My mate at another garage just tells them to 'p**** off' and seems to get away with it.  It's us nice, reasonable, helpful people -who don't mind helping out/giving a little bit extra in goodwill- that get taken advantage of sometimes.  Was it Arthur Daley who said 'No good deed goes unpunished'?

This is why I take great care to ensure no-advisory MOT's, Pdi's and Handover Sheets/Warranty forms are done etc.  It doesn't stop the occasional deluded person or chancer (and I haven't always won the battle; but you greatly win the war in general.

2 hours ago, Cokebloke007 said:

Hi all, I've got a customer demanding his money after his discovered a clear mot mistake by 33 miles, he's saying it devalues the car. Where do I stand legally.

Whats the reg ?

33 miles?!

Did you manage to keep a straight face when he asked for money off?

Sounds like a clear case of buyers remorse to me. If it's a nice sell-able lump i'd be refunding in full because people like this are not worth doing business with and a good car can easily be sold again. If it was a sticky car then i'd ask him to please take his grievance through the legal channels and hope he just disappears.

He would under no circumstances be getting a discount. Refund in full or keep the car as is. He's being a c**k so he doesn't get to dictate anything IMO

I assume he's aware he's, 'devaluing' it, every time he uses it?! It's called depreciation Sir...!

What a total Cock Womble!!!:blink:

As an exercise,If we had a description of the car,selling price,mileage when sold,number of days elapsed since sale,mileage now etc,someone ( probably not me ) may be able to equate the exact current value of an extra 33 miles at the point of sale ?

Nov 2009 milage states 13,000 odd and before it was 46,000?

You can have this changed if you can prove the mileage at the time of the test

I can understand why the buyer isn't happy, there are two mileage discrepancies. If there are mileage discrepancies, you have to tell the buyer prior to them purchasing and cover yourself with it written on the purchase invoice. 

I've got paper work for 2009. He's kicking off about 2012, I didn't know about the 33 miles as I cross reference mot's with service history and it didn't sick out. It looks like a miss read to me.

A pure chancer. Tell him to sling his hook & when he starts whinging tell him to take legal advice. That usually ends the matter as they assume you’re on solid ground if you’ve told them to take advice.