Sign in to follow this  
DHill

DPF removal

Hi guys, how do you deal with cars bought from auction that have had the DPF removed by a previous owner?

Do you sell it as it is, inform the customer? Or install a new DPF. I have noticed a few adverts now where the seller has declared they have had the DPF removed but I think we could fall foul in the future due to stricter MOT tests coming in next year to check for removal.

Thoughts? 

As I understand- caught driving a car where the DPF has been removed......max fine £1000 and £2500 for a van. So I imagine a dealer caught supplying a car where the DPF has been removed will be a worse offence ... I may be wrong !

Took an A3 in px recently , DPF  had been removed and had been remapped pretty aggressively. Had the tune mapped back to standard but advertised it as DPF Delete and made it very clear to prospective customers , lad who bought was delighted as he was going to rip it out anyway ! Made sure he signed a sis claimed though...

Disclaimer ffs

Its illegal to drive a car on the road with the DPF removed. You can sell it as scrap, unroadworthy and not fit for purpose

I thought the DPF check is a visual thing - many are just gutted. Providing the DPF looks like it's there and you slap a new MOT on it (passing emissions) surely it's not your problem?

39 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

I thought the DPF check is a visual thing - many are just gutted. Providing the DPF looks like it's there and you slap a new MOT on it (passing emissions) surely it's not your problem?

Got an email from VOSA the other day ( we have an MOT bay ) and the emissions required for cars with a dpf will be halved so if you have a dpf removed car it pretty much wont pass emissions soon.

11 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Its illegal to drive a car on the road with the DPF removed. You can sell it as scrap, unroadworthy and not fit for purpose

100% correct.

8 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

I guess if a sharp eyed MOT tester catches it a year later you’d simply deny all knowledge, tell the punter they must have changed it & slam down the phone! :lol:

40 minutes ago, tradex said:

You must declare in any and all adverts that you are selling an unroadworthy vehicle, for spares and or repair, not fit for any purpose and that it has to be trailered away.

Yes. If you omit “trailered away” then it renders the whole spares/repair sale incorrect & as such it is a normal retail sale. Also, in the unlikely event you end up in a court scenario, even if you’ve executed the advert & receipt correctly but you’ve sold a car to a sly b’stard who’s kept his train ticket receipt then you’ll lose in court. The judge asked my friend “how he expected a man who’d arrived on a train to trailer it home?”!! My friend (who’d also texted the buyer to say he was on his way to the train station to collect him) lost the case. In the past I’ve had the greedy eBay scum buy, push it 100 yds away, nobble it so it won’t start, phone the AA and get a free lift home! 

Nowadays if I’ve got any shite to sell I either outline the problem on the advert or if it’s a total knacker I write a brutal advert, talk to them straight (it’s a turd, it’s cash, no receipt & don’t bother coming back). A proper man who knows the score when buying a shitter won’t object, anyone else should be turned away.

A missing DPF is already grounds for a MOT refusal!

A DFP filter that has been cut open and re-welded is also grounds for refusal.