Sign in to follow this  
Jamie Edmonds

DPF removal will fail MoT from Feb 2014

Roads Minister Robert Goodwill said:

I am very concerned that vehicles are being modified in a way that is clearly detrimental to people’s health and undoes the hard work car manufacturers have taken to improve emissions standards. It has become apparent the government had to intervene to clarify the position on particulate filter removal given the unacceptable negative impact on air quality.

This change to the MOT tests makes it clear – if you have this filter removed from your car it will fail the test.

What are people's views on this?  I know a lot of old-ish cars, especially French ones, have had the filters removed and for want of a better word other bits bodged to make sure the car still works.  Clearly it will be prohibitive to put these filters back in so a lot of stuff will effectively become scrap.

Look out for diesel p/x's coming in over the next couple of months as people try to get rid before that tired old 407 is due its next MoT....

How will they know, filters are inside a metal casing and MOT testers are not allowed to dismantle a vehicle. I had a 206 done a few months back, the filter was removed but the casing was still present so nobody would know. The DPF file on the ECU was removed so only if a Diagnostic machine was plugged in would you know it wasnt working and even then the filter could still be present  

We remove DPF's when requested to do so as part of a Quantum re-map and agree the removal of the DPF cannot be spotted unless the exhaust system is removed! So a tester given 1hour to check all around the car for obvious safety failures like faulty brakes and suspension cannot possibly check and agree if the internal filter element is missing from the exhaust system! These systems are a complete pain and designed to protect the environment within large cities from local pollutants, larger diesel particles, however the regeneration system allows these particles to be released into the atmosphere whilst the car is in regeneration mode whilst out in the countryside , strange that!

I do think it was along time coming, manufacturers forced to lower emissions using DPF, not to mention Euro6 and the talk of Ad Blue for cars now starting, how could it be left that it was acceptable to remove a DPF (Note im not disagreeing or agreeing on when people do this), but it seemed a contradiction in the world, manufacturers lower emissions, DPF removed, then VOSA allows a pass. Didn't add up, but what about cars that have had it removed and then come for the following years test, how will testers know whether it should or shouldn't have one, not to mention as the previous reply said, if you can tell it's been removed.  Very interesting, but am sure we will learn more after xmas during the MOT seminars. 

Lets remember this is VOSA and the government we are talking about, the last load of MOT (re Airbag lights etc) changes they bought in about 3 years ago took until this year to become part of the test and then they were watered down. I imagine the rfr (reason for refusal) will be along the lines of 'If the tester can clearly see the DPF has been removed they must fail the vehicle' or something along those lines or we will have to fail cars because the warning light is on. Somebody will them point out the warning light only means there 'may' be a problem mean the tester can't say 100% in the DPF if working or not and the whole idea will become another 'pass and advise' item.

I would imagine a in depth diagnostic might throw up a few small "irregularities" in the emission sensors, but really can;t see every car being forced through a diagnostic for the MOT.... then again this is VOSA.

A friend runs a small local garage, picks up the stuff when its out of Manuf warranty, services 5 to 15 year old stuff generally. He said he can;t believe how many DPF failures he gets through, mostly because people don't understand how to look after them... giving someone with an 8 year old Peugeot the news that they need a new DPF at over £500 is not an easy message !

Another crazy idea that puts joe bloggs on the bus or cant get to work at all and pay his taxes ? probably be put back anyway, usually is, or as said on here "pass and advise", another pass and advise next to slight corrosion on exhaust that i once got from a tester who never got my business again ! my customer who saw that demanded a complete new exhaust ! it didnt happen !