Sign in to follow this  

Top 5: Special Editions

A whole number of car manufacturers pride themselves on their ability to punt out a tarted up run-of-the-mill model with a distinctive name and an inflated/or deflated price tag. And over the years there have been thousands. 

But what have been your favourites? What are the ones you remember for the right and wrong reasons? What ones can you remember selling well or badly? I'm after the wacky and no-so wacky special editions over the past few decades...

post-13-0-76875500-1385138605_thumb.jpg

Good: Always loved the "Williams" Clio.

Bad: Peugeot for their "Quicksilver" branded 106's (and 104's?)............surf branding to tempt teens into buying.

What's surfy about a Peugeot 106? 

I seem to remember Billabong also appearing on a car, but I can't remember which one for the life of me.  

My mum had a Rip Curl edition of the Renault Clio. She wasn't a surfer...

If your Mum isn't a surfer where did you get all your outdoorsy extreme sports genes then Batch?!

My wife's first car was a £300 Fiat Panda 'Special', although I don't remember exactly what was special about it.  I think the 80s and early 90s were the heyday for the terrible special edition models, Fiat did a World Cup themed 'Italia 90' version of the Panda complete with hubcaps which looked like footballs.

Peugeot once did an 'Eden Park' edition 806 which was supposed to be something to do with their rugby sponsorship, and had headrests shaped like rugby balls, which I always thought looked extremely uncomfortable.

• Like 1

VW Polo Harlequin, almost every panel a different colour. saw one the other day and still looks impressive !!!

Also VW did an 'Open' edition on the Polo / Lupo which had a full length canvas sunroof.....which leaked !

VW Harlequin ! Loved them used to sell them new ! ..then of course there were the special edition 'Golf Rolling Stones' but I do remember think around 2004 ish ( after I'd left the franchise) a batch of Golfs they called 'limited Edition' which were actually miss-built cars i.e. no central locking or electric windows ! How bizarre to call them ' limited editions' normally LE have higher spec! - Well I guess that's marketing for you !! :)

I remember Vauxhall doing something similar, with a batch of Zafiras which came from a secondary production facility (Turkey I think) which were built to the wromg spec so ended up being sold off as special editions in the early 2000's.  I'm pretty sure they were identical to the normal versions, but fitted with a sunroof.

I once owned a CItroen ZX Pzazz (utterly appaling name) whic was a poverty spec 1.4i 3 door (no PAS, manual windows...) but with a sports steering wheel and different hubcaps, but it did a fine job as a £500 banger to run while at university.

Speaking of Vauxhalls...

I remember waaaaaay back in the late 80's the 'Club' special edition Nova, Astra and Cavalier.

Solid white with yellow and black striped seats and door trims.

Shocking. Looked like a bad trip to the seaside, in every sense.

The also did a pitiful version called the 'Monaco' fitted with a detuned 88bhp version of the 1.6 litre engine, but it was cheap.

I have the tonneau cover from a Gleneagles edition in my shed, must get it on eBay!

• Like 1

I've just been writing about the 997 Sport Classic. A limited edition which was almost a model in its own right, with better handling than the standard 997 and even a unique roof panel. Lovely car!

• Like 1

I sold a Clio Billabong a couple of months ago - the customer asked me what Billabong meant; was it a good thing? They were buying for the uni son, so I explained that it was designed with da yoof in mind and they were happy bunnies.

My personal favourite special edition would be my Dad's old Rover SD1 Vanden Plas - does that count?

• Like 1

British Leyland used to have some bad examples, I remember both Marina and Allegro had a "special" model that wasn't, but the worst one was an Allegro Equipe at least I think that's what they called it, to try and make the 1750 Allegro sporty!! It didn't work.

We have a body shop and many many years ago, bought some stripe and sticker sets of a "sticker man" called Norman from Blackpool. We then started producing our own limited editions of practically any car that had paint work, with a " Jokers Wild" decal on the side which had a couple of playing cards and a charcoal and red stripe up the side.

Incidentally, we took a Fiat Tipo in swap once with stickers up the C pillar on one side saying Tipo, but on the other it said OPIT.