Advertising - Marketing

Now we’re glued to the TV from time to time , couldn’t help but see the latest ‘ seasonal’ adverts from the BIG boys of retailing !

We have #bearandhare  [john Lewis ] #magicandsparkle [Marks & SpencerMorrisons / Debenhams  â€“ think they’ve  missed a trick – No # hashtag  ( I can’t see one anyway! ) ..And I’m sure many others will follow!

I’m told John Lewis sales have rocketed since the advert was screened ! John Lewis / M&S /Debenhams adverts are quite long .....and ONLY at the end they mention the brands, is this to keep us on suspense so that we watch till the end?  All very cleaver but I’d have thought a cleaver ‘branding’ sign passing in the back ground so forth would create awareness ?

Any thoughts?

I suspect that is exactly what they are doing.

The holy grail for these guys is for us to realise it's M&S for example without them actually telling us. (Just like the old Silk Cut adverts)

Agree Umesh they are missing a trick, however all these adverts will get a huge following as normal. Wonder how much it costs to film and market these adverts and what return they have on investment?

Talking about adverts, who hasn't seen this one..... Satsuma Loans , now I'm not condoning loan companies but the marketing company who did this gets 10 out of 10 from, me, check it out!

• Like 1

Umesh, I suspect that the John Lewis brand possibly see the hashtag as a bit 'tacky' for them. 

Or maybe some retailers have grasped that a hashtag means absolutely nothing to 95% of the population and there's no point trying to confuse the message by using phrases their customers don't understand.

It's all very well you switched-on dudes being up to speed with the latest social media trends, but if I asked the vast majority of our customers what they would do with a hashtag, I suspect the most popular response would be "smoke it".

Fundamental Rule of Retailing: Don't Use Jargon

Green Giant Totally agree with you ! # means very little to lots of people ! but to those it means something they can tap into that market and market to them!

I'm not a huge fan of the Lewis advert, however, i guess the fact it gets people talking and the name thrown around is the clever bit. I'm sure you've all been asked if you have seen the Lewis advert, or the Coke advert.. However, if the reported figure of £1m to create the Lewis ad is correct, that’s a fair old spend on advertising

Can't say ive seen a "vehicle retail" advert that has particular caught my attention.. Apart from  motorpoint or available car (I can’t remember which). This got my attention for all the wrong reasons. I do think the manufactures have got more cleaver with their advertising, and many now hardly show the vehicles in question. Dacia & SsangYongs recent adverts i felt were fairly clever in the fact they were to the point.. no frills.. no fancy graphics or beautiful scenic drives with attractive “perfect†families.. "Here’s the car.. Here’s the price" SsangYongs first advert for the Korando, didn't even feature the vehicle.

To me, a consumer.. Big fancy adverts = Expensive... Expensive advertising = "am I paying too much"

• Like 1

Do you think this could work in the motor trade industry? If dealers were to produce online adverts with not too much relevance to their companies, do you think they would receive more recognition just through producing a fun and creative advert?