Sign in to follow this  
williamblackshaw

Shirts and ties or casual "Apple" look?

Just wondered, as a franchised dealer, do you think customers expect when spending good money to see someone wearing a tie? Or have times changed? Is the Apple casual look ok now adays?

As a consumer I couldn't care less if the salesman had a tie on or not. They're old fashioned and there's little place for them in business in general let alone in car dealerships.

Smart causal dress is just as good. People are there to buy cars from professional people. Attire doesn't shout professional, but quality service and knowledge does. I think ties should be consigned to the bin...

No tie ! Open shirt showing the gold bliing chain would be more suiting to today's sales team in the showrooms .

Most punters don't see a car sales person as a professional white collar worker more of a transit job or have a go guy .

So wearing a tie most times has the appearance of mutton dressed as lamb !

Our sales team always wear jeans and a nice shirt (no tie) with brogues or dress shoes, so 'smart casual'. Since I started 10 years ago I have always done this as it breaks down barriers straight away, as long as your clothes are clean and well ironed and your appearance is clean and tidy (hair etc, well hair doesn't really apply to me!!) customers don't even notice what you are wearing! At weekends we were smart logo'd black polo shirts and have branded/logo'd quality fleeces and winter jackets too.

It's important to look smart, but for a customer visiting an independent car dealer outside the city, to be greeted by a sharp suited an booted 21 year old , just don't know if that would do it for our customers........I maybe wrong!

• Like 1

Well guys I wear shirt and Tie !! Have always done so since I started 16 Years ago.. Its a 'personal ' preference, But I have no problems with others not wearing ties etc,as Jim pointed out ' smart, clean, casual  presentable' simple as that !!

I have seen quite a few in my times with dirty old jeans , scruffy/dirty boots etc etc - Doesn't give a good impression !!.. I always reverse it and think 'what does the customer see - feel?'

I think it looks nice when the sales staff look smart. Company branded work wear. We are currently looking into getting some new uniforms for our staff. Have a meeting with Bristol Oilskin & Overall Co Ltd on Wednesday.

Do think that sales guys that do wear the tie should have maching balaclavas The tie wearing is a good interceptor for the punter to know if he's going to get to get f----ed over.

Daddy run he comes the man with a tie on ! !

I have to be honest and say that I would fall on the side of wearing a tie......most of the time.

Maybe I am a little "old school" with this train of thought. I guess a lot depends on who your clients are as well.

I was always told it was a good idea to mirror your clients as you don't want to alienate or intimidate them. 

I would add..............what ever you are wearing, you should make sure you have clean shoes!!!!!

I would add..............what ever you are wearing, you should make sure you have clean shoes!!!!!

And don't smell like a car sales man !!!!

Does that mean not wearing the new fragrance by Bentley or Ferrari?

Does that mean not wearing the new fragrance by Bentley or Ferrari?

Except on days when you might have to deal with a few ruckers, then it needs to be Hai Karate, remember that one?

"Be careful how you use it"

oops, showing my age again !

• Like 1

I'll pretend I have never heard of it to conceal my age as well.

Back on topic.......Would you expect a salesperson to be dressed differently from a real world car sales if they were selling supercars in a flash show room in London?

We are a smallish independent in a fairly rural location and I tend to go for the smart casual look with trousers, shirt and some branded fleeces and polo shirts for the summer. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable dealing with customers in a pair of jeans, I guess it a personal choice but if I were walking into a dealer looking to do business I would expect the sales person to look the part, not like he was off down the pub for a few beers.

Interesting question williamblackshaw!

Whether it's smart casual or a business suit, the style of dress isn't important in the car buying process. What is important though, is customer service. The buyer is far more likely to remember how they were served as opposed to how well dressed the sales person was.

• Like 1

Personally i have taken the "casual" approach

I'm rather young i guess for the business, but decided to take my own approach on things. Having bought a few cars in my past, and spend many afternoons looking, the sharp suited salesman, who’s bathed in aftershave and has it seeping out his pours, designer stubble and fancy watches put me off, as does the constant being referred to as  "Sir or Gentleman".. Of which.. i am neither. Pompous door opening, adjusting my seat for me... i am more than capable of doing it myself..

I guess it’s all down to person preference, but it really puts me off, and gets my back up

I go for the laid back approach, I’m sure some of you veterans may not agree, but we all have our own way. I go for the smart and always polished leather shoes, Suit trousers and a well fitted, company embroidered polo shirt, and a smart V neck sweater. I don't feel comfortable in the suit and tie, and is easier when I’m mucking in cleaning cars, sweeping the showroom etc.

Also, I don’t go for the Sir/ Gentleman.. In the words of old Swiss Toni, i mirror my customer’s attributes. If they are a youngish guy, occasionally I may refer to him as mate (I am from Leicester after all) or ask if I can address them by their first name, much more friendly, personal and relaxing for both me and the client I feel. Obviously an older gent, I will call "Mr …," his wife.. "Young Lady"

• Like 1

I guess alot depends on your roll in the business, if you are solely sales then a smart presentable appearence is a must. When I started in would valet the cars myself and be in the workshop repairing them too, so looking smart was next to impossible but people could see why and the stock was sub £1500 so I didn't find it a problem. Now my stock is £5000 - £20000 I have to project a different image and balance that with the fact that I also run the workshops so will be in and out of the oily parts of the site!!! Smart jeans, company polo shirt and smart coat let down maybe by wearing trainers (try wearing smart shoes in a busy workshop and see how long they last!!)

There is no flashy showroom but I try to impress on my customers how the business works, the process our cars follow coupled with the skills and knowledge we have. Hopefully it soon becomes clear the sales and service sides are run together and the New Balance trainers are forgiven. If a pair of trainers means more then this maybe the customer deserves to pay £2000 more for the same car at the local BMW / Audi dealership.

Some of the comments above surprise me.

I completely understand the sharp suited saleman, with the flash watch etc...... but surely it is common courtesy to open doors and call someone Sir or Madam (until you are invited to do otherwise)

It's not pompous....it's polite.  

I'm smart casual - smart jeans, shiny shoes, shirt & tie, jumper. No car coat shall be seen on my back!