Sign in to follow this  
Willoughby

V5 application - how long?

Got  a car from Manheim without a V5 after about 10 days nothing has arrived.........and I've got a buyer for the car. 

I've just sent the application to DVLA for a V5 and have telphoned to see how long before we get it...........and I'm told the stock DVLA answer of up to 6 weeks.....

Anyone had any experience of how long they actually seem to be taking...... in the meantime I assume without the V5 there is no way of taxing it....

If car is in trade it usually comes within 2 weeks. If they can't get a response from the previous owner, they allow 6 weeks before sending a new one. 

2 hours ago, DHill said:

If car is in trade it usually comes within 2 weeks. If they can't get a response from the previous owner, they allow 6 weeks before sending a new one. 

this

if its not in trade and they need to wait the regulation time to hear from previous owner they send you a letter to say when log book will be released

ive just waited the full 6 weeks for one

the wife got her new log book in two days when i swapped her car last week

what i do is always send a v890 with my application and check on the is my car taxed site daily looking to see the sorn at the top of the page then the log book usually comes within 3 days,dvla use second class stamps too

ive stopped offering cars unless paperwork here as the hassle isnt worth the heart attack

I'm sure the last one I did was under 2 weeks. I can't remember the last time I had to wait anywhere near 6 weeks. I'm guessing that's a worse case scenario?  I'm guessing that DVLA must send a letter to previous owner, but instead of replying by post encourage them to reply via website to speed up the process, who knows?

Never ever rely on the dvla, they lull you into a false sense of security, everything goes swimmingly for months, v5s turning up in 5 days, then you take a depo on  a car and working on past reliance on v5 turning up  you promise the customer thursday, and thursday doesnt happen, on monday your on the phone, gladys tells you that you can tax it at post office when you cant and by  wednesday punters screaming for his depo back, gets his depo back friday , and v5 turns up saturday, i have the scars :(

8 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

Never ever rely on the dvla, they lull you into a false sense of security, everything goes swimmingly for months, v5s turning up in 5 days, then you take a depo on  a car and working on past reliance on v5 turning up  you promise the customer thursday, and thursday doesnt happen, on monday your on the phone, gladys tells you that you can tax it at post office when you cant and by  wednesday punters screaming for his depo back, gets his depo back friday , and v5 turns up saturday, i have the scars :(

"Don't sell until you are ready to". This may sound like an over simplification, but always holds true. I find that the time to sort out a missing v5 is when I buy it.

.....just my opinion:)

On 10/06/2017 at 8:36 AM, metcars said:

"Don't sell until you are ready to". This may sound like an over simplification, but always holds true. I find that the time to sort out a missing v5 is when I buy it.

.....just my opinion:)

100%:)