Sign in to follow this  
XFS

Autotrader/Stats/Market etc

Along with many others it seems, things are not going great just now, although my 2 sales for the month have been the cars I thought may be a struggle. I have good stock, properly prepared and offered at competitive prices. All my cars appart from two are below Autotrader "market value" and have either the "great price" or "priced low" flag. The 2 I've sold were the only "overpriced" cars. A Diesel Porsche Cayenne which I thought would be hard to sell, especially as according to Autotrader I was asking £700 over market. Took back a good trade in against to, so a real bonus. I also sold an Alfa 159 for £5000 which according to AT should retail at £3700. It was so overpriced it didn't even get a marker :)

The thing is nobody is coming to look at my "priced low" cars, although according to AT, I am way up on views compared to others, but no leads. 

Another wierd stat is that a Fiat 500 which is well priced is apparently getting 120% more views than the competition but is my least viewed car by miles...you would expect a 500 to be popular, especially a good colour/well priced scarce model.

Do you believe AT stats and figures?

Thin Lizzy had a great record .. " Don't believe a word , cause words can tell .. .... "

Bizarre - same here with many cars - seems the over priced sell better many times than 'under priced' - in all honesty I cannot make head nor tail of the stats most of the time. I ignore them - or maybe I need lessons to understand them ! 

Over priced Under priced, High miles Low miles, I have a collection of all of the aforementioned and still the phone is quiet I really wish there was a logical fool proof plan in this game. 

Not 10mins after I made this post the phone rang, an appointment was made and another one sold...at full screen price to, no trade in. Maybe things are looking up...

What I did learn from my sales this month is that the time and money spent preparing the cars properly paid off. In each case the customers had been shopping around and expressed surprise that my cars were exactly as described and in genuine retail condition. Apparently, a lot of dealers idea of prep is simply taking delivery of the car and putting a price tag on it.

Its refreshing to find customers who will buy on condition and service as much as price.

March for me was awful...just over breakeven.

April was dead until about the 20th.

Since then I have done loads of business, mostly on the cars I have had in stock forever...i'm talking over a year on some. 

Thought they would never sell but they all have whilst the really really good new stock I have not opened a door on.

Sometimes the world is just weird and unpredictable but I am learning not to stress over it so much these days.

Have some money in the bank to cover those quiet times and stop worrying so much. If your cars are right, they're right. My stock's excellent and well priced so I don't need to worry. It'll come.

12 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

March for me was awful...just over breakeven.

April was dead until about the 20th.

Since then I have done loads of business, mostly on the cars I have had in stock forever...i'm talking over a year on some. 

Thought they would never sell but they all have whilst the really really good new stock I have not opened a door on.

Sometimes the world is just weird and unpredictable but I am learning not to stress over it so much these days.

Have some money in the bank to cover those quiet times and stop worrying so much. If your cars are right, they're right. My stock's excellent and well priced so I don't need to worry. It'll come.

Over a year?? Jesus. So that's one new battery and alot of valeting? :) 

How many do you keep in stock at one time?

1 hour ago, Mojo121 said:

Over a year?? Jesus. So that's one new battery and alot of valeting? :) 

How many do you keep in stock at one time?

Around fifty...

It would never have normally been so long but it was bought right so there was still money in it taking into account the reductions and cost of the space etc.

I take most of the overage stuff out for a blast and troubleshoot monthly so no new batteries here! :)

• Like 1