Sign in to follow this  
Scooby who

Sourcing stock from main dealers

Have a question for you all.

I'm after a 2014 Rav4 2.0 D4D for a customer.

One appears on D.A. last week. I bid, and follow it way past trade price only to see it make retail price and more! I can't see how anyone could make any sort or reasonable profit on it. When putting cars of that value through your hands/books you need to have a healthy margin in my eyes.

I went onto Autotrader minutes later only to see similar spec cars of same or lower mileage advertised considerably lower that what I was willing to bid. What's going on? Who's stupid enough to bid these way past their true value 

Anyhow was thinking of calling up a few of these franchise main dealers (advertised on Autotrader) and seeing if maybe they might have a trade price on these cars. Perhaps take a few quid less knowing that they will free up some cash, (especially if they have too many of the same colour/age/year) get paid within the day to their bank account and no issues.

Wondering if its worth a shot? If so what discount might I expect to get?   

I do source quite a few cars , Good luck especially with main dealers majority I've found will not do a deal , that's if you manage to speak to the right person - most of the time in my experience manager wil not be contactable and they ask a naive salesperson to talk to you as a retail customer as they don't understand ' trade' - ' retail' difference !

Had a result with main dealer just before Christmas and they did a deal , and again this week with a Citroen dealer , very helpful and properly described car which arrived last night....

If you don't ask you'll never know :) !

Always worth asking .! Good LUCK 

Thing is you put yourself right out for a customer eating loads of doobery only to ring them to say youve sorced exactly what they want only to get an engaged tone followed up later in the day when you finally get them to be told they bought one yesterday

By all means have a go but dont buy one on the strength its already sold because customers will use it against you knowing you bought it for them and are selling it to them and they hate the idea your making a dolla

ok only true in 95% of cases but last time i put myself out was last month, a known customer wanted a particiular car for particular money and i managed to fill all the boxes,what did lad say? he didnt like the colour

1 hour ago, s and b said:

Thing is you put yourself right out for a customer eating loads of doobery only to ring them to say youve sorced exactly what they want only to get an engaged tone followed up later in the day when you finally get them to be told they bought one yesterday

By all means have a go but dont buy one on the strength its already sold because customers will use it against you knowing you bought it for them and are selling it to them and they hate the idea your making a dolla

ok only true in 95% of cases but last time i put myself out was last month, a known customer wanted a particiular car for particular money and i managed to fill all the boxes,what did lad say? he didnt like the colour

Yes I don't source cars for customers it doesn't work. If I haven't got what you want in stock, you need to look elsewhere! 

Thanks Umesh.

Will give it a shot and see. But thing is, even If I pay advertised price I'm still financially better off than bidding on one on D.A. provided it get an accurate appraisal.

I think this might be the only way forward, especially as you're more likely to get the exact car you want and less likely to end up with rubbish found in the big auctions

Regarding sourcing cars for people, I would never ever ever buy something solely because someone asked me to. I learned that lesson years back. I only buy what I know I CAN sell, in the event of prospective customers changing their mind.

Edited by Scooby who

23 hours ago, Scooby who said:

Have a question for you all.

I'm after a 2014 Rav4 2.0 D4D for a customer.

One appears on D.A. last week. I bid, and follow it way past trade price only to see it make retail price and more! I can't see how anyone could make any sort or reasonable profit on it. When putting cars of that value through your hands/books you need to have a healthy margin in my eyes.

I went onto Autotrader minutes later only to see similar spec cars of same or lower mileage advertised considerably lower that what I was willing to bid. What's going on? Who's stupid enough to bid these way past their true value 

Anyhow was thinking of calling up a few of these franchise main dealers (advertised on Autotrader) and seeing if maybe they might have a trade price on these cars. Perhaps take a few quid less knowing that they will free up some cash, (especially if they have too many of the same colour/age/year) get paid within the day to their bank account and no issues.

Wondering if its worth a shot? If so what discount might I expect to get?   

I was bored whilst Mrs S watches the soaps. There is one on BCA with a buy it now price that would stand you at cap clean all in. Grade 2, all green on the assured report.

Anyway, back to searching for diesel automatic 7 seater that's not named after a spanish painter.

3 hours ago, sparky said:

I was bored whilst Mrs S watches the soaps. There is one on BCA with a buy it now price that would stand you at cap clean all in. Grade 2, all green on the assured report.

Anyway, back to searching for diesel automatic 7 seater that's not named after a spanish painter.

Sparky

Thanks for that. Will have a look despite hate buying from BCA in general. Always seems to be something amiss, such as a missing service, no service history. Key missing or some annoying scrape or dent or strange whine from something.

P.S. Have you considered the Leonardo de Vinci, much more colourful than the Picasso

Yes. It was a grand behind before the add ons :)