Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Are buyers still looking for estate cars?

I've always had good luck with estate cars, even better if they were automatic, but last few I've had were slow to move on. Are they starting to go out of fashion? Why have an estate car when a MPV does it all? :unsure:

I love estate cars, always done well with them, and try and have as many in stock as I can. Think there will always be a strong demand for estate cars. Although interestingly, I've currently got two BMW 3 series tourers in, which haven't sold as quickly as I would have expected....

I think with all the SUV's and MPV's on the market the estate car has taken a hitting, But likewise I still sell them and will buy them. I have noticed that they seem to be getting cheaper to by at the block near me.  3 series tourers are a nice thing and passat estates are always a winner to.

14 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

I love estate cars, always done well with them, and try and have as many in stock as I can. Think there will always be a strong demand for estate cars. Although interestingly, I've currently got two BMW 3 series tourers in, which haven't sold as quickly as I would have expected....

but they look good in estate form so i wouldnt class them in the same bracket as say an Astra estate i dont see the same demand for old school estates these days, I put it down to a combo of better looking MPV's and vans becoming more than just a van to drive allowing people to multitask on a vehicle say a T5/6 

I'm finding it difficult to buy estates at the moment as there's such strong bids on them! I think I've lost 15 cars on the bounce as some traders just don't seem to want to put their hand down! I ended up paying £500 over cap clean just before the Xmas break for a V70 R Design, but that was a customer order, so knew what my margin was to begin with, which fortunately was still strong money.

To be fair I don't sell BMW or Audi where the market is flooded with them, so maybe that's the difference? I think spec in this sector really plays a part too though as the base spec models don't seem to attract buyers quickly and tend to hang around.

Conversely to most of you guys we seem to do better with value basic ish spec 60 plate and newer Astra & Focus estates but I think that's because, locally, it's only the older generation buying estates. Younger punters and families are much more into suv type stuff and hatches.

The last estate I sold (Focus), was to a self employed painter. I asked why he didn't buy a van, his answer was that, where he lived, vans were regularly being broken into and that with an estate, you could see what 'wasn't' in there? But I suspect "grant8064" has hit the metaphorical nail on the head with younger buyers preferring MPV's and SUV's to conventional estate cars. Whereas the old guard will have to be dragged out of their Volvo/Merc/BMW estates.

Just sold a BMW 330d Tourer, so it would seem they are still in demand, sort of......

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

Just sold a BMW 330d Tourer, so it would seem they are still in demand, sort of......

I think the engine sells itself in that! I used to tune these and they were epic for the devils fuel! :P

Is it me or is there something about a Volvo estate 

We all try and hold off but eventually we all end up in the Volvo. 

12 hours ago, betginge said:

To be fair, when Volvo stop making estate cars the world will stop for some people:D

18 hours ago, betginge said:

I'd not really had much dealing with Volvo until recently and was amazed at the amount of bloody door seals in the things! No wonder they stand up well in Scandinavian snow and ice well! My house has more drafts than those things.... I'm not sure I'm quite ready for a pipe and flat cap just yet though!! :lol:

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

.... I'm not sure I'm quite ready for a pipe and flat cap just yet though!! :lol:

You'll also need a holiday home in Devon and a black labrador called bengy:D

13 hours ago, metcars said:

You'll also need a holiday home in Devon and a black labrador called bengy:D

I would 'like' that pot if I could! :lol:

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I would 'like' that pot if I could! :lol:

I would edit that 'post' if I could!! WTF? :wacko:

I love a diesel estate, especially if it's made in France. Feed me till I want no more.....

On 05/01/2017 at 9:01 AM, sparky said:

I love a diesel estate, especially if it's made in France. Feed me till I want no more.....

Sparky your crazy, a big French car spells disaster. They are lovely to drive but you just know the iceberg is on the horizon. 

If I buy one, I drive it to the pitch  and don't touch or drive it there after, I don't tempt fate.