Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

What would you do...?

I've got that slightly awkward situation where someone who I sold a car to recently (approx 9 weeks ago), has asked if I would be interested in buying it back, not because there are any faults with it, but it was a cheap part ex....

I'll try and keep this brief...

I took a 1995 M Reg Nissan Micra in part ex, really low mileage and actually really clean, been owned locally by a father and son from new. Sold it to this lady for £850, for her daughter.

Fast forward 9 weeks, the daughter has lost her insurance (something to do with her boyfriend getting caught driving it with no insurance, knowing the boyfriend has been potentially ragging it around for 9 weeks, and getting up to god knows what, does put me off slightly), so it's now surplus to requirements and sitting on her drive, she's had a domestic with her daughter and so was on the phone sounding a bit upset....

This is where my moral dilemma comes in. Part of me feels sorry for her and wants to help her out, the hard nosed dealer in me wonders if it's worth the hassle of selling it and wants to low ball her.

She's aware she won't get back what she paid for it, but bearing in mind she paid £850 for it only 9 weeks ago, what would you offer her? Don't want to offend her, but equally it needs to be worth while. Ideally I'd like to offer her £300 - £350....

So what would you do  / offer her in this situation??

Obviously I'm not obliged to buy it from her, and she's not obliged to sell it tome me.

Hate these awkward situations..

Edited by Ocsltd

I would explain that although its a lovely car etc etc , however you only sold it as it's such a nice car which had come into Part exchange , normally you do not buy this type of stock in for cash .. but to try and HELP THEM in their situation you'll offer £300/350 - only as a favour ! balls then in their court ! 

• Like 1

Second bite of the cherry usually  goes pear for me, but if you definitely think it will retail again then offer 3.5 as suggested by others,explain it will need a full pdi etc again and of course this time it cant be offered as a p/x so its probably going to be sat around for a while so realistically you don't really want it but YOU will leave the bid with her

more importantly make sure owner of car fills in a full disclaimer for time owner had it so no come backs on you with regards forthcoming fines and car logged on police computer as a trouble car

i assume shes got log book back from dvla

It's business. I'd pay a few hundred at the block for that if its ok

May I say well done for "£850", you're a hero!:D

2 hours ago, umesh said:

I would explain that although its a lovely car etc etc , however you only sold it as it's such a nice car which had come into Part exchange , normally you do not buy this type of stock in for cash .. but to try and HELP THEM in their situation you'll offer £300/350 - only as a favour ! balls then in their court ! 

Thanks for the reply, yes I have already planted that seed with her. 

2 hours ago, SC Derby said:

£400 quid I reckon then re sell at original price this weekend

I'm not sure I'd get the same price again, £400 seems a lot for an 'M' Reg Micra, but then so was £850!! :lol:

1 hour ago, s and b said:

Second bite of the cherry usually  goes pear for me, but if you definitely think it will retail again then offer 3.5 as suggested by others,explain it will need a full pdi etc again and of course this time it cant be offered as a p/x so its probably going to be sat around for a while so realistically you don't really want it but YOU will leave the bid with her

more importantly make sure owner of car fills in a full disclaimer for time owner had it so no come backs on you with regards forthcoming fines and car logged on police computer as a trouble car

i assume shes got log book back from dvla

Yes good advice ref the disclaimer, I'm assuming she's got the logbook, but would obviously check before going any further...

1 hour ago, metcars said:

It's business. I'd pay a few hundred at the block for that if its ok

May I say well done for "£850", you're a hero!:D

Ha, yes £850 was a good price, but it really is a clean little thing. Although achieving a good price, could now bite me on the arse!! :lol:

Well, I've just pinged her a text message, trying to justify why I'm offering her £300. Let's see how that goes down, like a lead balloon I suspect!...

You could make it easier by also suggesting the car has now one more owner on the log book and thats going to make it more difficult to sell...

Edited by barlos1973