Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

Taxing a 'Disabled' car

Just bought a motability car, want to tax it to run around in it for a while, but gone to do it online and of course the taxation class is Disabled.

Is there a way of changing this / taxing it online?

First disabled one I've had since the new tax laws!!

Edited by Ocsltd

has to be done at the post office I'm afraid, you can change it to disabled on line but not from

In a word, NO! Stupid government system as always. You have to go to the post office and fill out a V62 whereby they will issue a new logbook to the new owner (doesn't help you in this case obviously) and change the taxation class at the same time.

I was discussing this only yesterday. Would it hurt for the online system to say; Does this vehicle need to remain as disabled taxation class YES or NO. If No, tax as normal. If yes, provide disability reference number to be checked by a human during office hours. Is it that hard?!

Don't need a V62 , Just fill in the V5 in customers name - change taxation -Post office will keep V5-Issue new to new owner. It is a pain hopefully they will change this soon ! 

Thanks for all the replies, I thought as much. I've just armed the good lady wife with all the paperwork to go and tax it... Cheers

Edited by Ocsltd

37 minutes ago, umesh said:

Don't need a V62 , Just fill in the V5 in customers name - change taxation -Post office will keep V5-Issue new to new owner. It is a pain hopefully they will change this soon ! 

my local POO:lol: also make me fill in a new v62 and give me the old v5c back ,i know they are wrong but i just indulge them because they have the sheriffs badge:D

Right, wife has come back from Post Office with the receipt for 6 months tax, happy days. (It's going to be her new family hack, so happy to register the car in her name.) She taxed it on the new keeper green slip with her details, but the post office didn't retain the V5. Can I now just go online and change the owner to her, like I normally would with a new customer, or will the tax then become invalid?

If I change the ownership online to my wife, will it come back disabled, or will they see that's it's been taxed?

She is hopefully taking the car from lincolnshire to the Isle of Wight on Monday, so don't want her being in untaxed car....

Edited by Ocsltd

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

Right, wife has come back from Post Office with the receipt for 6 months tax, happy days. (It's going to be her new family hack, so happy to register the car in her name.) She taxed it on the new keeper green slip with her details, but the post office didn't retain the V5. Can I now just go online and change the owner to her, like I normally would with a new customer, or will the tax then become invalid?

If I change the ownership online to my wife, will it come back disabled, or will they see that's it's been taxed?

She is hopefully taking the car from lincolnshire to the Isle of Wight on Monday, so don't want her being in untaxed car....

will come back disabled , as no facility to change taxation on line - just post it off with 'taxation change' ! 

22 minutes ago, umesh said:

will come back disabled , as no facility to change taxation on line - just post it off with 'taxation change' ! 

Thanks, when you say send it off with 'taxation change', is that a form I need to send off with the V5?

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

Thanks, when you say send it off with 'taxation change', is that a form I need to send off with the V5?

No ..Section [7] 

Tax Class : Just write in there what is it's been changed to i.e. Diesel Car/ Petrol car etc #Simples :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, umesh said:

No ..Section [7] 

Tax Class : Just write in there what is it's been changed to i.e. Diesel Car/ Petrol car etc #Simples :) 

Thank you. :)