GreenGiant

Guess the advertised price

So. A little teaser for you:

I have a regular, good spec, 1 year-old, 11k miles, white, City car in stock.

Nice little thing, should have no issues selling it. But I thought i'd have a little mess around with the online selling price, just to see if and how the stats could be manipulated and, therefore, trusted (or not...)

We're told endlessly how we have to make sure it's absolutely in line with the Market Price as decided by AutoTrader's Log of Rhythms, or whatever, as the better the price, the more chance of a sale...

So I priced it up at the figure suggested (£8000) and achieved, over time, a daily average of 144 Search appearances and just 2 advert views. "This is not so good," I thought to myself, So, I changed a couple of things and have now had the car advertised without pictures at a different price and have generated a daily average of 2608 Search Appearances and 23 Advert views. 'Vs similar ads' my Search Appearances for this car are now +1007% and it's in the green for Ad views at +512% (apologies if you don't have AT Dealer Portal stats, but this is, apparently, a good thing). And it's sold.

So, the question is as per the title:

How much did I advertise it for to generate such high viewing figures?

12 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

So. A little teaser for you:

I have a regular, good spec, 1 year-old, 11k miles, white, City car in stock.

Nice little thing, should have no issues selling it. But I thought i'd have a little mess around with the online selling price, just to see if and how the stats could be manipulated and, therefore, trusted (or not...)

We're told endlessly how we have to make sure it's absolutely in line with the Market Price as decided by AutoTrader's Log of Rhythms, or whatever, as the better the price, the more chance of a sale...

So I priced it up at the figure suggested (£8000) and achieved, over time, a daily average of 144 Search appearances and just 2 advert views. "This is not so good," I thought to myself, So, I changed a couple of things and have now had the car advertised without pictures at a different price and have generated a daily average of 2608 Search Appearances and 23 Advert views. 'Vs similar ads' my Search Appearances for this car are now +1007% and it's in the green for Ad views at +512% (apologies if you don't have AT Dealer Portal stats, but this is, apparently, a good thing). And it's sold.

So, the question is as per the title:

How much did I advertise it for to generate such high viewing figures?

£8999 !

You listened to the dictators when you first priced it and rounded it up to 8000 because that is what the college graduates at AT say will sell cars, Then using genuine trade experience you probably amended your price so that it ended in 995 and sold the car....

2 hours ago, GreenGiant said:

Anybody else?

Answer tomorrow.

It may surprise you.

GG You're worse than a customer who says I'll call you tomorrow .... you're going to make me wait a week , more sleepless night just worrying about this :) !! 

8695, and you chucked in some paint and fabric protection.

Just to prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke, I changed another one as follows:

Originally advertised at £10495 (around £300 more than AT suggested Retail) for a few weeks and the Average Daily Stats were:

36 Search Appearances. 2 Advert Views.

Yesterday, I made the SAME PRICE ADJUSTMENT as I did to the car above and the stats for just the one day are:

1185 Search Appearances. 32 Advert Views.

I feel there is more research and analysis required here, as I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the implications. I'm also wondering whether this is info that I should be sharing for free...?

In the interests of scientific analysis and balance, I've made the exact same change to the price of another car today. Current AT stats:

Daily average of 34 Search appearances and 1 advert view. I know; not great, so let's see what the change does for the numbers.

Sorry Umesh, the bus isn't coming today, despite my promises. But the good news is that, if my suspicions are correct, this information could make a mockery of all i-Control, Retail Price Checker, DeltaPoint etc info, so it could save fortunes in the long run. Could be worth the wait I think?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GreenGiant said:

" , this information could make a mockery of all i-Control, Retail Price Checker, DeltaPoint etc info, so it could save fortunes in the long run. Could be worth the wait I think? "

GG I've been ignoring those numbers for quite a long time ... when iControl ( when I tried it - didn't sign up) tells me to retail a car at £9000 AND my gut feeling says that under valued - advertise for £4k MORE - Sells within a week and could have sold a few times over , this has happened not just once a few times ...! 

Oh NO ! - No  Bus again GG ! .. I know soon 3 will arrive at once :) !

Today's stats for the latest price change......

1819 search appearances, 101 advert views.

From 1 view to 101 views. In one day. I need more time to process this to try and understand how I can benefit fully from the results. Notwithstanding how it makes a nonsense of the data we've been given previously.

Sounds like your onto a winner Green Giant.  Do you know when the bus will turn up though please as a fear rain will return.

Total Days Live

Search Appearances Advert Views    
Total Daily Total Daily    
            2 4734 2367 249 125      
            48 1717 36 66 1      

The above are the stats from this morning on the car I changed the price to on Saturday.

My Conclusions:

• I cannot rely on the advice given by AT regarding recommended retail prices - I can clearly produce better results on my own.
  • The advert viewing figures can be easily distorted.
  • Therefore the comparison figures given can be (and have been) distorted by one simple pricing adjustment and are now totally flawed
  • Experience wins. Who knew?
  • Like 1

Be interesting to know, I recently rounded my prices up i.e £6995 to £7,000 and viewing figures went up. But I'm always playing around with numbers.