Sign in to follow this  
Lambchop

Fiesta mk8 spongy brakes

Fiesta mk8 been sat up for 2 years. Can’t see any leaks been bled once which helped now starting to get spongy low brake pedal again . Anyone else had experience with this? 

As its been stood 2 years I would suggest a full strip down and rebuild followed by a complete bleed of the system, you will then find if its a proper pedal or a master cylinder/abs issue,. 

Had this on a Mark 7, brake pedal was pathetic.  Needed bleeding using diagnostics, had Ford dealer do it for me at the time, but basically the ABS system has to be actuated whilst bleeding apparently.

Exactly what I’ve been told , thought he was talking out of his , was hoping someone would say that before having to take fords lol. It is a mk7 been driving myself last few days and seems fine now though gonna drive myself for a while keep an eye on it. Thanks for reply’s

If its just a regular Zetec or similar spec, then it has drum brakes in the rear. The rear shoes self adjust, or should do more like. If they don't or the drums are full of brake dust then you will get a lot of travel between the shoes and the drums. This travel is taken up by the brake pedal obviously and leading to what might seem like spongy brakes.

You'll need to remove wheels and adjust shoes either through hole in the drum or by removing the drum altogether, cleaning down with brake cleaner and adjusting. Also check front discs are not lipped, another cause of brake travel. Also check pins that the front calliper slides on. If these are stuck you get issues also. 

• Like 2

Depends how its been stored for the two years.  At the very least I would strip, clean and lube the pads/calipers.  Last year we picked up a Mitsubishi that had been standing outside for 18 months. Discs were very corroded. Rather than mess about we just put new discs and pads on it and bled the system.