XDR

Jan / Feb Sales & margins

Good Morning Everyone 

I was having this chat with a few other dealers and thought what other place to see if there are any variances.

Some dealers I know have said they had a quiet January & others say it was very busy? 

We stock around 50-60 cars, mid range (10-25k) mainly German stuff and found January a little slow. We still made a healthy bottom line figure but just slower than anticipated.

February so far has been steady, with decent leads  but with auction prices being high for quality stock - I’m not paying crazy money to make minimal margin.

I know the old saying “you can’t sell and empty space” is true. But imagine paying 2-3k into book, for a car to then have a big issue eg gearbox!

I know you could upsell products eg warranties, finance (to get comms) etc but surely the risk / reward ratio is against us?

What’s your stance for your business  - are you paying good money and sacrificing margin, or are you holding off?

I broken this rule this week purely because I've got an empty yard, yes I can sell it but it hurt to pay for it, to be honest I feel embarrassed selling cars at the sane prices as 3 years ago

now I've bit the bullet I'm going to do the same again this week as I hate twirling my fingers and trying to find things to do

Crazy times at the moment I’ve seen large (Ish) dealers reduce their margins to £600-700 a car and I’m talking lumpy stuff.

luckily we still have decent stock around either in prep or awaiting to go on. I’ll hold the bullet for a while until prices level off.

If you don’t mind me asking - what market are you in / price range 

Edited by XDR

Good January, good start to February. Prices are quite strong at the sales but we are still managing to buy bits to keep stocked up.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:28 PM, A & S said:

Good January, good start to February. Prices are quite strong at the sales but we are still managing to buy bits to keep stocked up.

That’s good to hear! 

prices seem to be strong - I’ve heard prices will be even higher next month!? 

luckily we’d are stocked up (some more cars coming out of prep) 

we had best month ever in january feb was a bit quieter 

been taking every part ex possible