A & S

BMW Petrol Cat

Another car we won't be buying again, BMW petrol, the thieving b******ds have stolen the  catalytic converter off a BMW 1 Series off our forecourt, didn't know these were so dear. A pain in the @ss, especially after we have just done the timing chain. Anyone point us in the right direction to get a replacement, aftermarket ones flag up eml, genuine new are about £1600 = vat.

Are the later BMW petrol cats in demand aswell?

Unfortunately in shithole Britain these guys act with impunity. We've had several stolen in our area and we lost one off a Auris and an adjacent pitch lost one off a Jazz week before last. The Jazz theft was at 9pm and caught on CCTV. People walking past and the thieves appear completely relaxed.  Weak policing and lack of ID checks/recording by the recyclers mean these guys keep on doing it.  They go for anything where a cat is accessible....so yes, BMW are on the list.

You don't state exact model/year but type approved aftermarket may be ok if you put a spacer under the lambda sensor. 

Its a BMW 116i 2.0 petrol 2009

I avoid buying mainly Japanese petrol cars and now petrol BMWs, anything else the thieving b@stards mainly target ?

Edited by A & S

9 hours ago, A & S said:

I avoid buying mainly Japanese petrol cars and now petrol BMWs, anything else the thieving b@stards mainly target ?

I doubt that the Police even record cat thefts as it is an insurance claim.A few years ago our transport company had cats costing £1800 each stolen from 80 new Merc Sprinters which were stored in their yard. It didn’t make the local news

13 hours ago, A & S said:

Its anything with a cat (first cat, second cat) accessible from under the car.  If its a car with a single 'manicat' then its safe. They prefer hybrids because of the higher precious metal content.

A major reason for these thefts is that the 2013 Srap Metals Act is not being enforced.  Dealers are buying these cats for cash with no ID checks.  I was reading that in Germany the thefts have been large stamped out because the police went hard after the buyers and jailed a few.

For your particular model/year of BMW even the type approved aftermarket cats are quite pricey, but still a third of BMW price.

9 hours ago, trade vet said:

I doubt that the Police even record cat thefts as it is an insurance claim.A few years ago our transport company had cats costing £1800 each stolen from 80 new Merc Sprinters which were stored in their yard. It didn’t make the local news

That would of hurt and worrying as they may come back again once replaced.

5 hours ago, Halfpenny said:

Its anything with a cat (first cat, second cat) accessible from under the car.  If its a car with a single 'manicat' then its safe. They prefer hybrids because of the higher precious metal content.

A major reason for these thefts is that the 2013 Srap Metals Act is not being enforced.  Dealers are buying these cats for cash with no ID checks.  I was reading that in Germany the thefts have been large stamped out because the police went hard after the buyers and jailed a few.

For your particular model/year of BMW even the type approved aftermarket cats are quite pricey, but still a third of BMW price.

But aftermarket cats don't work on some cars as they flag up an eml.  

59 minutes ago, A & S said:

That would of hurt and worrying as they may come back again once replaced.

But aftermarket cats don't work on some cars as they flag up an eml.  

as mentioned above they need a tom thumb on them for second lambda

Had my cat stolen in broad daylight. Thieves didn’t even bother taking to it with a grinder. Just repeatedly shouted her kitty kitty till it walked into their arms.