Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Insurance

Anyone know an insurance company that will except a trade policy no claims bonus on to a private insurance? I've not insured a car privately for 5 years 

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Anyone know an insurance company that will except a trade policy no claims bonus on to a private insurance? I've not insured a car privately for 5 years 

My experience.Our company had an expensive trade policy with Aviva going back to the distant past when it had been called several other names.It always specifically stated my name and that I was covered for social and domestic and we never made a claim.When I retired they said I had to start again and donkey’s years no claims meant nothing. As we had paid out a fortune in premiums over the years plus we have several other policies with Aviva ,an argument ensued and I took it to the Ombudsman…..who agreed with Aviva.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trade vet said:

My experience.Our company had an expensive trade policy with Aviva going back to the distant past when it had been called several other names.It always specifically stated my name and that I was covered for social and domestic and we never made a claim.When I retired they said I had to start again and donkey’s years no claims meant nothing. As we had paid out a fortune in premiums over the years plus we have several other policies with Aviva ,an argument ensued and I took it to the Ombudsman…..who agreed with Aviva.

but if you had made a claim they would have still held it against you for a non commercial insurance policy we can no doubt be assured 

i have had a saying in life that Michael Caine taught me many years ago and it still holds true

"if they haven't got you one way they've got you another way" 

Alfie... 

Edited by It's me
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Marc said:

NFU will look that I'm sure, as will Direct Line . 

Both of those companies have honoured trade insurance no claims with two guys i know of .

You have to be the insurance named person though .

That was a couple of years ago mind 

I’m guessing I’m in the older age range on this forum but If you’re retiring (67) does ncb make a lot of difference in reality. I’m nearly ‘there’ and my trade insurance are getting a bit ‘salty’ about my age now. Funny how they were ‘salty’ about me when I was 17? 

I wonder what would be the bigger hit, just the fact of being old or no bonus?  

PS: obviously, if you’re coming out of the trade at 25 with no bonus that’s a ballache!

Thanks David, Direct line do indeed include trade insurance for no claims bonus, unfortunately the quote was not far from what I was paying on trade insurance for a plethora of cars. Makes me realise just how good a policy I've had from Midas/Eridge