Sign in to follow this  
Andy Entwistle

DVLA and Plate Transfer problems

Are you having problems with the DVLA

We are getting a lot of feedback from dealers that they are having problems with DVLA plate transfers, not only the turnaround time but also errors after the paperwork has been received, which results in delays on top of the already extended normal turn around.

Swansea are farming out a lot of the work to the local offices which rather than help, seems to result in more delays.

Are you concerned about the current levels of service from the DVLA, whats your experience and how worried are you about the pending closure of the local offices...

The cherished plate fiasco is a nightmare ! not sure if saw my comments on http://twittercardealers.ning.com/

last week but I'd sent one off on the 3rd Sep, explained to the customer that these are taking 3-4 weeks, got him to pay for the car he was buying.... cut a long story short I'd chased DVLA with progress On the 24th I rang to be told  IF it doesn't arrive by next Wednesday call us back !!! I also sent an email same day asking about progress. Email reply on 26th saying 'must be lost' will send new documents out !

on sat 28th Customer received New disc only, so picks the car up...... On Tuesday I get a envelope dated 28th will ALL the documents , the worry being all the documents inside are stamped 13th !! ALL This time sitting on someone's desk - Had I not chased it up when would I have got them back !!

think its shocking !

• Like 1

The level of service we are receiving is hopeless.  Taking ages which of course is impacting on the time it takes to be get the part exchange car in which knocks many deals sideways.

CT's and retentions are the bain of our lives currently - a problem which is increasing year on year.

I wonder what we could do to help this? Maybe pull the DVLA in for an interview. If there are enough dealers out there having problems - and we'll see with this forum - maybe we can then take that to the DVLA and see what we can get answers on

I Met Stephen Tse last year and put to him the concerns that the industry have raised. he was convinced that we wouldn't; see any drop in service, talking about some of these type of process's being taken on by the local post offices. 

Sadly we're seeing it deteriorate already. I recently changed the plate on my wife's car, as a consumer experience it was fairly poor. I used to walk into Theale DVLA and come out half an hour later ( or 4 hours if it was end of month) with the new plate. As we've moved away and not near a local office i had to send it off. It took 4 weeks for the plate to arrive and another 2 for the V5 to be updated.

If the post office are going to take on this, is the recent privatisation going to help ?

The only thing the privatisation of Royal Mail could affect is the efficiency of the postal service....possibly.

The poor guys in the Post office have enough on their plates already with Disabled taxation class changes of ex-Motability cars on top of the general day-to-day stuff (ever had that sinking feeling when you're in the queue for a road tax and the person in front starts unloading a sackful (that sounded OK in my head!) of small Ebay packages to be individually recorded and stamped?).

It is incredible that a road tax renewal can be done online, but CTs and Retentions have to be posted to Swansea.

When all the local offices close - next month - the whole thing is going to crash and burn.

Plus, neither the local DVLA office staff or the Post Office have any idea how we're supposed to get a Northern irish Disabled Class registered when they do close. At the mo' it's over the counter, but not for much longer.

Any ideas guys?

Andy...

Motability cars can be taxed at Post Offices that are able to tax cars.

This has been the case for several months.

Unless the car originated in N Ireland.