Bluechip Classics

Hello from the South Coast

Hello all,

Hope you are having a prosperous if rather rainy afternoon.  Just thought I'd take a little time to introduce myself on this forum..

My (nick)name is Pad and for the last 15 years or so have dabbled in part time trading and brokering private sales.  I'm a Manufacturing professional but my passion has always been cars and the trading has provided an outlet for that. Over the years I've traded all sorts from 500 smokers to 10-15k prestige and sports although my favourites are always 80s/90s modern classics... I never really make any decent money in my pursuits as I have to prioritise my day job but I enjoy it immensely and take a very professional attitude towards it.    I recently brokered a Cayman for a private client and the buyer said she bought it from me because she felt so comfortable with me as a vendor, even though there was a cheaper one nearby in her preferred colour.. was really nice to hear!  

Anyway, I'm not particularly looking for advice at this stage, nor am I looking to go full time although that is something I aspire to if I ever get enough capital behind me and I get bored with the office job.. But not yet :)   Just really here to say hello and I hope to be able to contribute in some way..

Cheers all!

Pad

Afternoon Pad, Welcome to the forum !

Nice when customers say that , THAT is what its all about .. Well thats how I run my business- its all about people/attitudes ! 

Its a totally different game when you get into it full time , but we're all here to help , as and when you need any help/support ! 

Look forward to seeing your plans full time !

Good Luck

Umesh 

Hi Umesh and thanks for the welcome.

I agree 100% about it being about people.. I've been fortunate enough to travel extensively in my day job and I've learnt that building relationships is one of the most important things in professional life.

I'm under no illusions about the difference between part and full time trading.. I've already told myself I wouldn't do it unless I had at least 12 months of my current take home salary in capital.. Half would be reserved for mortgage/bills/living and the other half for stock and overheads for 6 months... but I'm some way from getting that sort of money behind me!!  Ideally I'd like to deal in modern classics, not concours but nice, unmodfied 80s/90s classics but I reckon I'd need to keep bread and butter stuff going to manage that, sourcing those cars is not easy! 

Cheers

Pad

hi pad keep it as you are, this way you keep your pay cheque and more importantly you can walk away from sales at any time because its not your bread and butter,a win win situation i think

Hi there,

no fear I won't be giving up my day job anytime soon!  Can't afford to risk my house and kids food on a whim.. I'd only do full time if I had a fat redundancy cheque behind me as buffer! :)

In the meantime, I may post some exploits of how it is going at the other end of the market that you guys operate, may bring back some memories for some!

Cheers,

Pad 

Hi Pad,

welcome, and I echo the advice here, keep the day job you really can't beat a regular pay cheque, but sometimes the passion for cars that drives us takes over, especially at buying time !

• Like 1