David Horgan

How long can traders hang on if we went to lock down like Italy

42 minutes ago, poor-trader said:

In the 2-3 weeks running up to the lockdown the £0-£2.5k ish stuff was still selling easily. Basically anything which had some MOT and vaguely worked but was cheap still seemed to be flying out the door but everything else was dead.

The "distress" car market will always have demand. People who simply need another car because their existing one has been stolen/crashed/failed MOT/clutch gone/died or whatever will still have to buy one so the low level of the market will come back quickly. Add in all the people who's leased 18-plate German thing has just been re-possessed and it could be boom time. However, the "Changing my car because I fancy a new one" market might take much longer if confidence and the economy has taken a big hit. I can't see the latter coming back strongly until Corona is seen as done and dusted (vaccine or whatever) and the economy has bounced back a bit. 

There will always be people with money but they need to confidence to spend it.

Don’t forget when they let us back out to play “everyone” and his uncle will be clambering for cheap easy sellers. Especially the big guys with big bills to pay. 

Lets be honest, we are talking months. There’s no miracle cure, no exit strategy. They’ve built enormous field hospitals anticipating thousands of patients. We are a long, long way from returning to normal. Whatever ‘normal’ will be?

Edited by metcars

47 minutes ago, poor-trader said:

In the 2-3 weeks running up to the lockdown the £0-£2.5k ish stuff was still selling easily. Basically anything which had some MOT and vaguely worked but was cheap still seemed to be flying out the door but everything else was dead.

The "distress" car market will always have demand. People who simply need another car because their existing one has been stolen/crashed/failed MOT/clutch gone/died or whatever will still have to buy one so the low level of the market will come back quickly. Add in all the people who's leased 18-plate German thing has just been re-possessed and it could be boom time. However, the "Changing my car because I fancy a new one" market might take much longer if confidence and the economy has taken a big hit. I can't see the latter coming back strongly until Corona is seen as done and dusted (vaccine or whatever) and the economy has bounced back a bit. 

There will always be people with money but they need to confidence to spend it.

Agree with you there 100 percent was ok up to lock down up to about 3k so were friends but as you say no one has the confidence to spend 15 k  my friends who sell more expensive stuff said they wish the could find 20 cheap cars which as met says are difficult to find well good ones are 

may you and your family stay safe and take care during these tough times 

44 minutes ago, metcars said:

Don’t forget when they let us back out to play “everyone” and his uncle will be clambering for cheap easy sellers. Especially the big guys with big bills to pay. 

Lets be honest, we are talking months. There’s miracle cure. They’ve built enormous field hospitals anticipating thousands of patients. We are a long, long way from returning to normal. Whatever ‘normal’ will be?

Agree with you there  . 

Edited by Casper

I've stopped looking to buy anything,my trucks are now furloughed

Interestingly theres more adverts appearing within 1 mile of me on autotrader daily but to get the true picture I suggest any of you with some spare time :rolleyes: listen to the bloggs? ( is that the right word) james is doing,they are all fantastic

A little birdie told me that in the US, car dealers are classed as an essential business and not locked down? True/false?

2 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

How is Donald by the way:huh:

Donald Duck?:D

But in answer to your question, I think things are going to liven up a bit in the coming weeks?

Edited by metcars

2 minutes ago, metcars said:

Donald Duck?:D

Thought you told me it was Mickey mouse that told you lol . 

• Haha 1