Nick

Trade Plates

Hi Guys. As a newbie I was just wondering how you guys display them. Just chuck them on the dashboard or actually change or stick over the originals? The reason I ask is my first set are on there way and i'm going to be driving back from bristol to gloucester on the M5 and wouldn't want any tickets obviously. Do they even have ANPR cameras on motorways? I'm thinking they do. Basicly what can I get away with. What do you guys do? I've never seen a set of trade plates placed over originals??

Cheers,

Nick.

Dash for me and if possible jammed in the rear window, although if the car shows as taxed and insured sometimes I leave them in the car. Some don't seem to bother at all.

Would you do the same on the motorway Steve as ANPR cameras wouldn't see them no? So if there not taxed or have no MOT it could cause unwanted hassle or a ticket or fine??

if the car didn't show on the mid or wasn't taxed then in order to minimise the chances of being picked up you would need to ensure the trade plates covered rage number plate. You would need to make sure the trade plates on on the mid. As for the location of anpr cameras I'm not so sure. You do see some cars with plates in the window, some taped on, some in rubber hangers.

i guess you need to do what you feel comfortable with. The dvla do seem to be about more and more, you would have thought with the changes to the dvla that you could just register them and move cars without the use of trade plates.

Oh and if it had no mot then it should not be driven unless you are on the way to an mot station. Trade plates are for road tax nothing more.

There has been a few recent cases of people getting fined with plates in the windows. It has always been law to cover the existing plates but never been enforced until recen years. 

We bought some carriers wit suckers that stick to the original plates, they are about £80 but are just right for the job, with safety strap in case the drop. We got them from a place I believe is "direct supplies". 

Cover the plates all the times ! its easier than having issues - have devised a couple of methods -suckers/ clips - easy and quick and legal !