Huggins

Commercial Plus VAT

Looking at branching out into some commercial vehicles potentially. Say I market a van for sale at say 5k plus VAT aimed at business users, is there any law which stipulates that I can't advertise the same vehicle at 6k including VAT to attract joe public ? (provided I breakdown the VAT element  on the sales invoice and hand it across to the VAT man?) 

Edited by Huggins

So I don't have to sell business to business - provided the buyer is made aware of the VAT element of the sale / sales price?

• Like 1

If a private buyer buys it they pay the vat at the inclusive price with vat inc if a business buys it they pay the price + vat and claim back 

if the private buyer then sells it on is not vat registered  they take the hit on the vat my local van guys uses it in a lot of his ad ex private owner so no vat 

so i would just advertise it inc vat then just state that vat registered buyers can claim back vat ,  

• Thanks 1

Private cant claim VAT back 

Business can claim VAT back 

That's the only difference there is to it 

Just show VAT on either invoice when you sell it . Of course you send VAT to Customs in either sale , 

Dead Simple 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Private cant claim VAT back 

Business can claim VAT back 

That's the only difference there is to it 

Just show VAT on either invoice when you sell it . Of course you send VAT to Customs in either sale , 

Dead Simple 

This david explains it simpler than me lol but basically what i was trying to stay 

14 hours ago, Casper said:

This david explains it simpler than me lol but basically what i was trying to stay

Its the application of the KISS method Casper 

I was taught to K eep I t S imple  S tupid :lol:

• Like 1

You are much better off selling ex VAT as most people will search low to high so your £4999 + VAT van will be seen by more people than one at £5999 inc VAT.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Contracts said:

You are much better off selling ex VAT as most people will search low to high so your £4999 + VAT van will be seen by more people than one at £5999 inc VAT.  

Good point never thought of it like that  

On 2/3/2020 at 4:45 PM, Huggins said:

So I don't have to sell business to business - provided the buyer is made aware of the VAT element of the sale / sales price?

You don’t need to make a big song & dance about it. It’ll be on your invoice, that’s all you need to do. When looking at tiles & grout on the shelves do B&Q employees prewarn customers that receipts include VAT?

Tbh the few times I’ve had vans I’ve found them easier to write something along the lines of ’TOTAL price, no VAT to add’ because the sub £5K mark is generally full of private men & one man band companies who aren’t VAT registered so when looking at adverts if they see ‘plus VAT’ they think they’re being raped.

Basically a ‘£3600’ van will be an easier sell than a ‘£3000 + VAT’ van. Total bollocks, I know, but that’s how people’s minds work.