Steve92

Test drive details

I'm aiming to get the person that controls the purse strings to become a little more efficient when it comes to admin, with test drives do you visually inspect the customers licence, take a copy and file it ? (If so for how long) or just not bother ?

with trade plates would you just have one set for the office or two sets so you know which person was out on the test drive. At the moment we only have 1 set and as we grow I don't want to be in the position where we cannot offer test drives if the plates are already out. What are the repercussions if a customer is test driving a car without trade plates ? I'm still learning so bare with me !

Copy of licence most times, sometimes just visually check -BUT everyone customer fills in their details on test drive form, I also put reg no , make , model , sates, times so if anything ever came back I have record with their signature - also includes their PX Car or car  they came in ! 

I've had 2 sets of plates for years - well worth it for me , times when you 2 sets wanting test drives makes life easy and saves others having about waiting !

Test drive - no plates get if it gets caught classed as no tax , possible back duty?  insurance issues maybe ? 

I cant upload the form but pleasure to email it if it helps ? 

• Like 1

Thanks umesh, I'll pm my email address. 

I guess back pay on tax isn't so much of an issue, insurance would be my concern, that's next on my things to do, we'll set up weekly updates of the mid now we have changed insurers.  I've already started writing procedures and work instructions which although might not serve any purpose might make us look like we know what we are doing !! 

The dvla seem to be spending quite some time in lay-bys on the a1 around Peterborough to Grantham (308 estate) hence the insurance and tax updates. 

hi steve

a few questions

what does your insurer say about unacompanied test drives

how can they be done without  trade plates ie not taxed

how can you be sure your vehicle is not being abused if unacompanied

your paperwork needs to be imaculate if you do do this and the nips appear

why do it anyway surely going with a customer is poart of the patter to nail a sale

are you aware the car plates need covering up on a test drive whilst trade plates are fitted to the front and rear of the vehicle

cheers

• Like 1

Not sure on the insurance as I didn't arrange it, there are two of us and it's not my business. However we do not allow unaccompanied test drives.

yes I've read the dvla guide on how plates should be displayed, however many main dealers do not conform to this, even when you see cars being moved on the roads they are put in the rear window or on the dash. 

We recently bought the suckers that stick them over the old plates as the law states existing plates shouldn't be visible.

we never do unaccompanied test drives as insurance doesn't allow plus don't want our property abused if not in charge of it!

I always go out with them and just stick the plates in the window. Make sure your insurance includes test drive cover some basic policies dont actually include it.