Sign in to follow this  
Kieran

Scanner/Diagnostics Tools

Hey guys & girls, just wondering what scanner/diagnostics tools you would recommend? I've currently got this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/LAUNCH-Intelligent-Automobile-Diagnostic-Transmission/dp/B01DXPFZJ4?th=1 but it lacks quite a few useful things, like DPF regen and service light reset. It's also very slow, can take up to 10 minutes to scan a car sometimes, and doesn't always connect successfully.

Thanks in advance!

How much are you willing to spend? We have about 5/6 scan tools and no one is perfect at everything. Certain ones are better at certain cars etc. 

My most commonly used one is an Autel Maxi system. It was circa £1500 but you can get imported ones on eBay for about £700 though I couldn’t tell you if they’re the same or not.

• Like 1

In 2014 I spent £900 on the entry level Snap On Ethos. 

This has probably been the best £900 I spent on anything, for a dealer that has no workshop that machine has served me really well, it's very fast and codes are very accurate, it does no programming though. 

I now have a new Launch and that's OK but slower than the Snap On and the menu layout is a mess. It has many functions but it takes me forever to discover them. BMW Service reset for example has menu that only says BMW CBS. Who new that meant condition based servicing... 

• Like 1

Personally, I think that you need a decent scanner to do this job nowadays. They are way too useful to ignore. But leave spending big bucks to your mechanic. Remember it’s just a tool, having a scalpel doesn’t make you a surgeon!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MarkTVS said:

How much are you willing to spend? We have about 5/6 scan tools and no one is perfect at everything. Certain ones are better at certain cars etc. 

My most commonly used one is an Autel Maxi system. It was circa £1500 but you can get imported ones on eBay for about £700 though I couldn’t tell you if they’re the same or not.

Great thanks, I've been looking at Autel Maxi! 

10 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

In 2014 I spent £900 on the entry level Snap On Ethos. 

This has probably been the best £900 I spent on anything, for a dealer that has no workshop that machine has served me really well, it's very fast and codes are very accurate, it does no programming though. 

I now have a new Launch and that's OK but slower than the Snap On and the menu layout is a mess. It has many functions but it takes me forever to discover them. BMW Service reset for example has menu that only says BMW CBS. Who new that meant condition based servicing... 

Great thanks

10 hours ago, metcars said:

Personally, I think that you need a decent scanner to do this job nowadays. They are way too useful to ignore. But leave spending big bucks to your mechanic. Remember it’s just a tool, having a scalpel doesn’t make you a surgeon!

Yeah definitely, even the one I have now has been very helpful. Just could do with the extra features that I don't currently have :) 

1 hour ago, Kieran said:

Yeah definitely, even the one I have now has been very helpful. Just could do with the extra features that I don't currently have :) 

Things like adding keys, installing new batteries, diagnosing TPMS, etc. Stuff you can really just do yourself and not bother a mechanic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metcars said:

Things like adding keys, installing new batteries, diagnosing TPMS, etc. Stuff you can really just do yourself and not bother a mechanic.

Yeah exactly! 

I recommend you use Autel MX808, it works on All 1996 US-based, 2000 EU-based and newer vehicles.  It is a mid-range diagnostic scanner which is has a very easy to use interface. Autel offers all kinds of scanners to different people. From entry-level code readers to basic obd2 scanners, and advanced professional scan tools, Autel has it all. So check this Best Autel Scanner Review 2020 [Most Popular 16 Scan Tool List] to know more. 

Edited by Scuppernong

A close family member bought a Launch X431 Pro S Euro 3 last year which was slightly used off eBay. The owner was selling his garage hence the sale and it was UK supplied not from far east etc.

Seems well made and up to scratch with most jobs. Not sure if it can do dealer level staff on all cars; but it was just under £1,000 I think. Worth a look on their website or youtube to see what it can do.

AKH

I remember reading a post on this subject and someone suggested a used laptop and then downloading the free software from some web site, All legal and they had sugested it was 90% as good as any diag tool he had ever come a

On 1/8/2020 at 9:39 AM, metcars said:

Nice wording

Personally, I think that you need a decent scanner to do this job nowadays. They are way too useful to ignore. But leave spending big bucks to your mechanic. Remember it’s just a tool, having a s

Personally, I think that you need a decent scanner to do this job nowadays. They are way too useful to ignore. But leave spending big bucks to your mechanic. Remember it’s just a tool, having a s

Another good is Launch X431 pros mini. Around 600 on ebay. Does more than most need.