Sign in to follow this  
15Cars

V62 headache

Evening All

Sold a car yesterday evening - it is nearly new and very low miles. I took it from a punter as a downgrade part exchange. The punter couldn't find the V5 so I HPI'd it and took it in.

The car is A1, serviced, MOT'd, PDI'd, 12 months warranty etc. Punter insisted he needed it, so I let him get on his way with a V62 to tax and change keeper himself after he'd paid, signed PDI and invoice etc. The punter (nice chap) has just been into his PO and they're saying the system is declining the car and they are unable to tax and change keeper as they need previous owner's postcode.

I've never been asked for this, I have the previous owner's postcode back at the office so will forward it tomorrow but I've never experienced this before - any thoughts please?

Edited by 15Cars

Had this a few times with V62 forms .

If you have the previous keepers post code it usually goes through ok and the new keeper gets it taxed and the V5 comes back in their name to their address .

BUT I have known it go the other way and on one occasion it took six weeks to get the V5 back and be able to tax the car even with the post code , worst of that one it was a BLOODY free tax car as well . Give him the post code and fingers crossed your ok . 

You should be ok with the post code though , HOPE anyway 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Had this a few times with V62 forms .

If you have the previous keepers post code it usually goes through ok and the new keeper gets it taxed and the V5 comes back in their name to their address .

BUT I have known it go the other way and on one occasion it took six weeks to get the V5 back and be able to tax the car even with the post code , worst of that one it was a BLOODY free tax car as well . Give him the post code and fingers crossed your ok . 

You should be ok with the post code though , HOPE anyway 

Appreciate that David, thanks. I've done this about half a dozen times this year without a hitch, but I've always done it at my local PO. Poor practice I realise but assumed it'd be ok.

Car needs to be in trade or you can’t do that at the post office.  I have a guy who works in a post office who can do it some how but I’m sure it’s a bit dodgy. Any way I give him a drink for each one.

4 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Car needs to be in trade or you can’t do that at the post office.  I have a guy who works in a post office who can do it some how but I’m sure it’s a bit dodgy. Any way I give him a drink for each one.

Thanks, Grant, after trawling around I've come to the same conclusion, so fingers crossed previous owner's postcode works otherwise I'm gonna take it back!

2 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

I’d fucked up recently on a car lacking a V5, I’d assumed the lack of log book wouldn’t be a problem, the private plate had been removed but the main dealer HADN’T put it in trade, just SORNed it.

Apparently there’s an illicit way, a trader selling a flashy motor told me recently there’s someone dodgy who advertises on the ‘net somewhere. He was very sceptical but deposited this character a £50 along with the customers bank details for the direct debit. Within the hour the car was taxed.

Unfortunately I don’t know any more than this.

There appears to be a way of putting the car into trade without a log book but unfortunately I don’t have the jiggery pokery to do it :)

19 hours ago, 15Cars said:

Evening All

Sold a car yesterday evening - it is nearly new and very low miles. I took it from a punter as a downgrade part exchange. The punter couldn't find the V5 so I HPI'd it and took it in.

The car is A1, serviced, MOT'd, PDI'd, 12 months warranty etc. Punter insisted he needed it, so I let him get on his way with a V62 to tax and change keeper himself after he'd paid, signed PDI and invoice etc. The punter (nice chap) has just been into his PO and they're saying the system is declining the car and they are unable to tax and change keeper as they need previous owner's postcode.

I've never been asked for this, I have the previous owner's postcode back at the office so will forward it tomorrow but I've never experienced this before - any thoughts please?

I know we all sometimes end up with a car from a known source without a v5, but a car from Joe Public without a v5? Thats nuts. You should absolutely insist that the customer applies for one  before releasing the car they are buying. It costs them £25 (i think). And if you then let the car go without having the reg doc for the p/ex in your hand make sure you have something to ensure they have a reason to bring it to you such as a deposit. How do you know he hasnt done a log book loan that morning? or if it even belongs to him?

I had a customer have to do that this week, but their swapper was a 2007 peugeot 206 worth £100. Still made her apply for the log book. I sold her the 206 and she's a regular so I knew I'd get the v5 when she did, but still told her if I didnt I'd be driving it past the speed camera down the road and she'd be getting the ticket. she rang the dvla on the thursday and received it the tuesday after.  

1 hour ago, MattR said:

I know we all sometimes end up with a car from a known source without a v5, but a car from Joe Public without a v5? Thats nuts. You should absolutely insist that the customer applies for one  before releasing the car they are buying. It costs them £25 (i think). And if you then let the car go without having the reg doc for the p/ex in your hand make sure you have something to ensure they have a reason to bring it to you such as a deposit. How do you know he hasnt done a log book loan that morning? or if it even belongs to him?

I had a customer have to do that this week, but their swapper was a 2007 peugeot 206 worth £100. Still made her apply for the log book. I sold her the 206 and she's a regular so I knew I'd get the v5 when she did, but still told her if I didnt I'd be driving it past the speed camera down the road and she'd be getting the ticket. she rang the dvla on the thursday and received it the tuesday after.  

Yep, it is nuts and I certainly won’t be doing it again, I’ll chalk this one up as a lesson.