russp

Road Tax

I wondered if anyone on here has taxed a vehicle since the new rules came in last October without registering the vehicle in their name?

I always used to use whatever vehicle I had in stock that was taxed to drive around in myself until it sold.

Now under the new rules the only way I can drive a car is with my trade plates only on company business and not for personal use.

In theory I suppose I could tax a vehicle online, pay monthly by direct debit and cancel the DD once I sell it and the new owner taxes it again.

If that isnt possible, I guess I am going to have to consider buying a car for personal use which I havn't done for 15 years.

Any thoughts?

Not tried it as I have own car to use, the only thing I can think of is if you tax it and not declare new owner , when you come to tax again for the new owner - it it may not allow you as the vehicle may still show with an owner , not in the trade ?  don't know - but keep everyone informed if it works or not ! :) 

This is entirely possible, I will let you (and anyone else if they're interested) know by PM though as i'd rather not put it publicly in case this convenient loophole is shut!

• Like 1

I've taxed my astravan online 3 times now using the same green slip reference number without putting it in my name. I think the just want your money

• Like 1

What about going for one with £0 road tax that way it's done for the customer and there is no money to change hands. I'd be interested in the loophole pm :)

Interesting responses. It does sound feasible and I am sure that many of you used to use a taxed car like I did. Any more responses welcome :)

Are you a limited company?

Are you a limited company?

Edited by sparky

Ok, so this is how it works on the green slip, you as the motor trader can apply for the tax to be put on it using the green slip 12 digit number, anyone buying it during the following, lets say, 6 months gets the tax included in the sale, because dvla are only waiting on the green slip to be sent in to them with new keeper details. So, as long as you sell it within the period you have taxd it, you don't have to put it into anyones name, untill sold and then, the remainder of the tax is included because you won't get a refund as it is in trade...hope that all makes sense, straight from the dvla's mouth, but you may want to ring to confirm the above, there, that's me off the hook for getting sued for incorrect data!!!!!

That makes a lot of sense too. Looks like I have some experimenting to do :)

Thanks for all your thoughts.

I'd check your source at the DVLA.....I did exactly as you are suggesting when these new rules came out. Taxed a car on the green slip, sold the vehicle 2 months later then sent off the V5 in the new keepers name, after a few weeks my customer receives a letter from the DVLA wanting confirmation of what date he purchased the vehicle, a week later he receives another letter stating all new owners must tax the car on the day they take ownership so the current tax has been cancelled and he needs to tax it again. He contacted me not happy because he's lost out on a few months tax I included with the sale and was driving the car around un-taxed, I agreed to refund him the months he'd lost and calmed him down a bit and to this day I still haven't received my refund of the remaining 4 months tax.

So all in all to much hassle and stress just to save an owner on the V5

i wouldnt do it for 2 reasons

1 your insurer might argue that car was not business or private use seeing as not registered in your name if a claim was made

2 the office junior at dvla will tell you anything so they get you off the phone

3 ok first line a lie,dvla are hopeles at tax and send me refunds like confetti but i wont cash them because tomorrow they want them back,youve all been warned :lol:

4 KISS is the answer:)