DJC CARS

Ebay Motors Group

Evening all, I've been getting bombarded with Ebay sales calls to sign up to Ebay Motors & Gumtree (already on Ebay Motors). I've received an email saying they are planning new packages to include Motors etc early January.

Do I wait to add Gumtree at a "reduced rate" or see what's on offer in January?

Interesting times ahead especially if the whole platform takes off as there are alot of Ex AT customers waiting for the next best thing....

Edited by DJC CARS
Spelling mistake

1 minute ago, Mojo121 said:

eBay is shite atm aswell

It's not been to bad down in the South East, just have to deal with the usual "best price for cash" messages!

I'm a bit confused by the Ebay business model at the moment, they rang me too saying they had bought Gumtree and would I like to advertise there as well. 

If you think about it you're just paying the same company twice for the same thing and that doesn't wash with me, for example if they started a new site called EbayMotors 2 and rang you and asked if you'd like to advertise on there you would probably ask the same question. Surely they must have a conflict of interests as they now own multiple sites doing the same thing, when they could have invested the money ($81.6 million) in to making Ebay Motors a better platform?

On 11/26/2019 at 10:21 PM, Mojo121 said:

eBay is shite atm aswell

+1

1 hour ago, tradex said:

And "wats ya best price" messages on cars with 'deposit taken' in the title, the remarks and listing bumpf:rolleyes:.....been playing fleabay ping pong for two days now and the guy still hasn't read the advert yet, still we have gone from 25 'undred to 27 on a 35 car:D

I'm not even getting any offers, thus my post "where's all the lasta price" brigade gone....... It's oh so quiet, sssshhhhhh shhhhhhh

32 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I'm not even getting any offers, thus my post "where's all the lasta price" brigade gone....... It's oh so quiet, sssshhhhhh shhhhhhh

Dead as a dodo. I’ve got one man on the hook for a car but that’s it.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

but in all the time I've been placing on there I have NEVER SOLD A CLIO ON THERE, which is bit odd considering the number I sell....too many cheap shiter's (but cheap!) on there I guess?

I think Ebay buying patterns account for my aversion to small cars or, more accurately, small car punters. 

I’ve done it the ebay way for what must be getting on for 15 years & I don’t think I’ve ever had proper profit from a small car unless it was something for nowt I’d successfully nailed back together.  Nowadays if a punter phones with a Corsa, Fiesta, Clio etc. p/x I just groan & tell them it’s worth pennies to me because I don’t like the market. 

Local punters on small cars are also hopeless - all bottom-dollar nuisances price-conditioned by Gumtree knackered/written-off prices.

I have just signed up to Ebay for 3 months. Given my AT bill is close to £1500, what's another £299? Might sell the odd couple a month, so will see. Total risk a grand, so far so shite.

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I have just signed up to Ebay for 3 months. Given my AT bill is close to £1500, what's another £299? Might sell the odd couple a month, so will see. Total risk a grand, so far so shite.

Thing is, I'm seriously contemplating not renewing.... Who seriously now only looks on eBay to buy a car, without even looking on AT ? Attracting Gumtree's pondlife isn't appealing to me (I want customers who can read) and follow simple instructions....... I'm gonna wait until renewal and see what happens, now if they chucked in Motors I could be tempted, but only if its dead cheap..... 

I missed a call from Gumtree caller according to my email from the call whisper. No message and I couldn’t bring myself to call them back.

Answered one (I can only presume Gumtree) call today. “It’s about your £500 Transit Connect init, can you do betta?”

You know the engine is broken don’t you? “No.” 
It says spares or repairs in the first line of the add and twice more in the description and again in the attention grabber stating engine issue presume needs full replacement.

”Oh ok but can you do a better price?”

Wow!

Now this van is far too good to scrap (those who know my website, please look) because the seats and interior carpeting would make a superb donor engine recipient. Just needs that one person but I can’t be doing with the amount of enquiries from the illiterates.

AT bargain slot showing something like 38000% above the other adverts but not one can read.

19 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I missed a call from Gumtree caller according to my email from the call whisper. No message and I couldn’t bring myself to call them back.

Answered one (I can only presume Gumtree) call today. “It’s about your £500 Transit Connect init, can you do betta?”

You know the engine is broken don’t you? “No.” 
It says spares or repairs in the first line of the add and twice more in the description and again in the attention grabber stating engine issue presume needs full replacement.

”Oh ok but can you do a better price?”

Wow!

Now this van is far too good to scrap (those who know my website, please look) because the seats and interior carpeting would make a superb donor engine recipient. Just needs that one person but I can’t be doing with the amount of enquiries from the illiterates.

AT bargain slot showing something like 38000% above the other adverts but not one can read.

I know I know..... Why pay for pondlife when FB is free, and to be fair to FB, the real enquirers who can actually write their own sentences tend to be easy to deal with... That's my thoughts

7 hours ago, Mark101 said:

I had the rep ring me today trying to get me to sign up with Gumtree as I'm already with Ebay, he probably wishes that he hadn't now. I let him get a few lines in then I asked him why would I want to advertise with their 3 different sites Ebay/Gumtree/Motors, his response was that people tend to look on 3 different sites when buying a car and if they see my cars on all 3 sites then that will assure the customer that I'm a bone fide motor dealer. 

I mentioned my concerns about paying the same company three times for doing the same thing and that I thought they had a conflict of interests, and that I tried Gumtree and Motors before and they were rubbish so why would I want to advertise with them now. 

I also said that I thought that Ebay had gone off the boil and this seemed to happen when they took on Gumtree, which is a shame as I thought they were making real headway against Autotrader. He couldn't really answer my points, and I mentioned I'd be rethinking Ebay when it comes around for renewal in May.

So it would be interesting to see how you get on.

• Like 1

We have been advertising with ebay for a number of years, in October 2019 we were approached by Gumtree to 'piggy-back' on ebay and advertise them also.

They, Gumtree, were offering a 'trial' period of a minimum 6 months to "see how good it would be". We resisted this offer of a 6 month [rolling contract] offer, however they came back to us with a 'special offer' of a 3 month trial.

We accepted the offer, and due to the rolling contract and so to be on the safe side, we immediately gave Gumtree notification of the 30 day termination notice...

Jump forward 3 months, the trial period proved unproductive and Gumtree notify us that the contract will roll-on, we in turn reminded them that we had notified them of termination in November 2019.

Although Gumtree accepted the termination, we were then informed that we couldn't just terminate the Gumtree agreement alone and thatany attempt to cancel the payment would automatically terminate our ebay account also. 

I might add that there was no mention of this verbally, nor contractually, at the time of agreeing the trial period with Gumtree back in November 2019.

We are taking legal advise for misrepresentation... 

Be aware !!!

Sorry but I believe you’re incorrect - or at least you are if you received the same contact from them as I received.

When they offered me the Gumtree special deal (for want of the correct name) even from the emails it was crystal clear to me that if you joined there was absolutely no way of reverting to ebay-only on your old rate. 

In my case, and I find it hard to believe ebay actively tried ripping you off, nothing was hidden, it was all in plain sight, as clear as night & day. Sorry.

Hi BHM,

I read your comment with much interest. 

That said however, your experience is not that which reflects that of our own.

Forget about emails, I'm referring to contracts and/or terms and conditions.

I had a similar experience @Rich Michaels with eBay/gumtree. I said I’d try it but would want to go back to eBay only.

Anyway, at the time, the guy I was speaking to said ‘I’ll have to turn the call recording off a minute’. He then went on to say that if, you put a cancellation in, they let you revert to eBay MP in the end. However, that was before this Motors tie-up and I‘ve still not heard from either the Motors rep or Gumtree/eBay- despite chasing them by email a few times now. 

So, I’ve cancelled the DD. Ball now in their court. 

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

I had a similar experience @Rich Michaels with eBay/gumtree. I said I’d try it but would want to go back to eBay only.

Anyway, at the time, the guy I was speaking to said ‘I’ll have to turn the call recording off a minute’. He then went on to say that if, you put a cancellation in, they let you revert to eBay MP in the end. However, that was before this Motors tie-up and I‘ve still not heard from either the Motors rep or Gumtree/eBay- despite chasing them by email a few times now. 

So, I’ve cancelled the DD. Ball now in their court. 

I disagree about your situations being similar. Ebay’s rep obviously told you about the ‘no going back to your old contract’ before he turned off the recorder, which is different to Rich Michaels as he’s claiming this wasn’t disclosed to him.

I spoke to 3 (I think) eBay reps who chased me about this and it was perfectly clear on every occasion what the deal was.

Additionally all of their emails made it clear what the deal was and EVERY single one of us on here should be immediately suspicious of contracts being handed out with a sweetener of a ‘cheap’ introductory deal. It’s the oldest trick in the book to catch the greedy.

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

I disagree about your situations being similar. Ebay’s rep obviously told you about the ‘no going back to your old contract’ before he turned off the recorder, which is different to Rich Michaels as he’s claiming this wasn’t disclosed to him.

I spoke to 3 (I think) eBay reps who chased me about this and it was perfectly clear on every occasion what the deal was.

Additionally all of their emails made it clear what the deal was and EVERY single one of us on here should be immediately suspicious of contracts being handed out with a sweetener of a ‘cheap’ introductory deal. It’s the oldest trick in the book to catch the greedy.

Yup. I don’t disagree BHM. I was/am well aware there was officially no going back. 

Luckily, I’m soon out of contract so not tied in for much longer.

Gumtree are pretty inept and am now on my third account manager in 9 months. They never reply to emails, so I have a strong case as to why I stopped it. 

The motors rep is usually pretty switched on and helpful, so I think she’ll make me an offer I can’t refuse.   

Can’t say I’m bothered to be honest if not. 

I'm getting more calls from the Fleabay Gumtree, motors rep than I did PPI. their one tactic is to rubbish AT and sell on price. was quoted £450 for 40 car package in December, now its £300 for a special 6 month deal. I've spent several thousand with all three over the years until I started looking in depth using my CRM data and call tracking and realised over a period of 12 months I'd sold 1 car. This was quite recent but got sick of the frankly stupid timewasting email best price idiots that arent serious

Complete waste of time and money, they say it only needs to sell 1 car extra every month to pay for itself but I only sold 1 car in 12 months!!. AT still gets about 80% of my sales, rest is walk ins and referals. The time and effort it takes to wade through the dregs of leads to get that 1 sale is painful and probably would add another £1000 in man hours over the year.

Not for me, might work for some