BMWbimmers

Private registration on a stock car

Hi there guys I was wondering if I could get some advice. I’m a motor trader and I have my son employed he’s only allowed to drive a vehicle under business use 

He wanted to put a private registration on one of my vehicles that he will be using to pick up stock  Would this be a problem if he got stopped, could he be accused of using it as a personal car due to the private registration that spells his name

It will be a problem when he wants to take the plate off the car if it's in the trade! Put the car in his name, transfer the plate and providing it's taxed and insured he won't have a problem.

I would say it wouldn't be insured if it was in his personal name cause the insurance company could argue its not just for business use then 

if you are a sole trader can you not put it in the company name then you could argue that everyone on the policy uses the car for only business use only .. 

Edited by Casper

1 hour ago, EPV said:

It will be a problem when he wants to take the plate off the car if it's in the trade! Put the car in his name, transfer the plate and providing it's taxed and insured he won't have a problem.

That won’t be an option as they could say he’s using it as a personal car 

1 minute ago, BMWbimmers said:

That won’t be an option as they could say he’s using it as a personal car 

If he owns it, technically, so what? As for insurance, ask your insurance company to add him as a named employee.

If he wants to put a plate on it, then I'd suggest he is anyway. a dedicated car for picking up stock? unless its a few hundred quids worth of a shitter, thats a waste of money.

31 minutes ago, Casper said:

I would say it wouldn't be insured if it was in his personal name cause the insurance company could argue its not just for business use then 

if you are a sole trader can you not put it in the company name then you could argue that everyone on the policy uses the car for only business use only .. 

It Currently has the company name on the v5 but it’s whether they’ll accept the fact that he’s not using it as a personal car 

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

If he owns it, technically, so what? As for insurance, ask your insurance company to add him as a named employee.

He’s already a named driver

3 minutes ago, MattR said:

If he wants to put a plate on it, then I'd suggest he is anyway. a dedicated car for picking up stock? unless its a few hundred quids worth of a shitter, thats a waste of money.

Not dedicated for stock but Mostly stock and anything else that comes up that needs to be done

Why doesn't he just put the plate on the car he uses privately rather than this sketchy set up which may appear to the insurance like someone is trying to bend the rules?

I presume he is under 25 and probably restricted for business only.

Or, why can't you just allocate the plate to your company and stick it on if it is that important?

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Why doesn't he just put the plate on the car he uses privately rather than this sketchy set up which may appear to the insurance like someone is trying to bend the rules?

Or, why can't you just allocate the plate to your company and stick it on if it is that important?

That was my point mark just registered both car and plate in company name simples 

18 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

He’s already got one on his private car but this plate is a close match to the one on his private so he wants to put it on 

all pointless if you ask me but if it makes him happy, why not...I mean it’s not costing me anything so no harm in trying

12 minutes ago, BMWbimmers said:

He’s already got one on his private car but this plate is a close match to the one on his private so he wants to put it on 

all pointless if you ask me but if it makes him happy, why not...I mean it’s not costing me anything so no harm in trying

In that case - just make your company the Nominee and put the plate on. If things change, pay the £80 and make your son the Nominee again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BMWbimmers said:

Must have a vanity plate Dad.Sounds like he is a potential contestant for Lovely Island

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

In that case - just make your company the Nominee and put the plate on. If things change, pay the £80 and make your son the Nominee again.

Mark I was looking at buying a gift number plate from eBay if I buy it at handy money put me down as the nominee when bought from the seller 

when I decide to transfer to the recipient it's just a matter of me paying the £80 to change the nominee I'm I correct I think but just checking  only ever done then from customers or bought from newreg regtransfers etc who transferred never as a gift from an eBay private seller 

Edited by Casper

1 minute ago, Casper said:

Mark I was looking at buying a gift number plate from eBay if I buy it at handy money put me down as the nominee when bought from the seller 

when I decide to transfer to the recipient it's just a matter of me paying the £80 to change the nominee I'm I correct I think but just checking  only ever down then from customers or bought from newreg etc never as a gift 

You pay £80, plate goes on retention for 10 years or until you allocate the plate to a vehicle/Nominee.

25 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

You pay £80, plate goes on retention for 10 years or until you allocate the plate to a vehicle/Nominee.

Cool mate thanks just wasn't sure about the eBay purchase that was all but guess its just like a normal transfer done in the same way 

Best thing to do is put it straight onto something you own and then retain it.  

Plate dealers all do this now as they say it was due to someone selling a plate and then putting it onto another car after the sale.  The buyer only found out a year later when he tried to use the certificate he bought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Contracts said:

Best thing to do is put it straight onto something you own and then retain it.  

Plate dealers all do this now as they say it was due to someone selling a plate and then putting it onto another car after the sale.  The buyer only found out a year later when he tried to use the certificate he bought.

Thank you for your knowledge mate great help will do that if I buy the plate your help is much appreciated cheers .. 

On 10/29/2019 at 12:42 PM, Casper said:

when I decide to transfer to the recipient it's just a matter of me paying the £80 to change the nominee I'm I correct I think but just checking  only ever done then from customers or bought from newreg regtransfers etc who transferred never as a gift from an eBay private seller 

HI Casper, have you checked the reg on DVLA-som website as most advertise on ebay don't own them etc and when someone buys on ebay, they just buy it from the DVLA site.

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

worth a try : )

5 hours ago, chrishowie said:

HI Casper, have you checked the reg on DVLA-som website as most advertise on ebay don't own them etc and when someone buys on ebay, they just buy it from the DVLA site.

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

worth a try : )

Thanks mate cheers