tradegirl

Appealing Cat B?

20 hours ago, Contracts said:

Slightly off the original topic but one of our runner cars is a Cat B from 2018.  Citroen C1 Airscape, was lightly shunted in the back but recovered with the soft top left open.  Sod’s law, outside during a weekend of rain, insurers paid out and put on register as Cat B but we bought it back for £450.  

As we are the only keeper and did not pass the V5 we can keep driving it but will never be able to sell it for road use again.

Does the current V5 allow it to be taxed ?

• Like 1

Open fleet policy covers anything and to be fair only staff use it as a smoker for leaving around.

As we have the original V5 we have renewed tax online.  I understand the problem will be if we sell it as DVLA won’t issue a new V5 or complete change of keeper.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Contracts said:

Open fleet policy covers anything and to be fair only staff use it as a smoker for leaving around.

As we have the original V5 we have renewed tax online.  I understand the problem will be if we sell it as DVLA won’t issue a new V5 or complete change of keeper.

Run it into the ground the scrap it... makes perfect sense

When the time comes we can try and find out.  To be fair these little 1.0’s can take some abuse so it might be a while yet.  

On 10/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, Casper said:

I agree with everything awc has said here it all makes sense . 

Also this is the case too as lakeside said it could take months for the damage to truly show corrosion in Ecu connections  I was also told they do it by an insurer assessor and owner of a large breakers that deals in a lot of cat cars that's there health implications of bacteria in the dirty water etc 

Reminds me of years back when I was young and carefree and so were my mates.

Friend of mine drove his Honda Civic onto the beach for some romantic time with his girlfriend. It was well after midnight and pitch dark. Time passed as they were obviously having fun, then suddenly he heard splashing on the underside of the car. Turns out the tide was coming in so he started the car to get out. Problem was sand was saturated from the sea and he just got stuck and couldn't move. 

They obviously got out, but by the time he knew where he was, waves were half way up the car. He got someone with a teleporter to pull it in off the beach. I remember him asking me to have a look at it as it wouldn't start ( not surprising) 

At the time me and my mates thought it was the funniest thing ever and just couldn't stop laughing at what had happened.

Remember looking into the car and it was full to the sills with sea water, sand, sea weed and possibly shells and jelly fish . I drained the oil from engine and box and dried out the distributor. I removed the ECU which had already begun to corrode, replaced it and up it fired!

He drove the car for a further 4 years and all that ever went in that time was the alternator, then again it was a Honda Civic not a BM Troubleyou 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scooby who said:

Reminds me of years back when I was young and carefree and so were my mates.

Friend of mine drove his Honda Civic onto the beach for some romantic time with his girlfriend. It was well after midnight and pitch dark. Time passed as they were obviously having fun, then suddenly he heard splashing on the underside of the car. Turns out the tide was coming in so he started the car to get out. Problem was sand was saturated from the sea and he just got stuck and couldn't move. 

They obviously got out, but by the time he knew where he was, waves were half way up the car. He got someone with a teleporter to pull it in off the beach. I remember him asking me to have a look at it as it wouldn't start ( not surprising) 

At the time me and my mates thought it was the funniest thing ever and just couldn't stop laughing at what had happened.

Remember looking into the car and it was full to the sills with sea water, sand, sea weed and possibly shells and jelly fish . I drained the oil from engine and box and dried out the distributor. I removed the ECU which had already begun to corrode, replaced it and up it fired!

He drove the car for a further 4 years and all that ever went in that time was the alternator, then again it was a Honda Civic not a BM Troubleyou 

14 hours ago, Scooby who said:

then again it was a Honda Civic not a BM Troubleyou 

That's the best name I've ever heard for them. So much as sneeze near them and the engine goes.

Bought a beautiful MK6 GT TDI a couple of years ago. Water damage to the engine, simple engine flush and it was good to go. Wish BMs were that sturdy.

3 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Bought a beautiful MK6 GT TDI a couple of years ago. Water damage to the engine, simple engine flush and it was good to go. Wish BMs were that sturdy.

Was the timing belt ok? :lol:

I've gone right off BMW (Broke My Wallet), won't eben entertain a 4 cylinder now (especially petrol).

Edited by Mark101

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Was the timing belt ok? :lol:

I've gone right off BMW (Broke My Wallet), won't eben entertain a 4 cylinder now (especially petrol).

There's always something! :lol:

That's another very fitting name for them. Petrol especially are a nightmare. If it's not the chain, they're full of other gremlins. Still...nice sellers though lol.

10 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Jap cars go on for ever. I have an old MX5 I use as a runaround. I said I would scrap it when it failed it’s MOT....that was two years ago. Te Japanese are really good at copying stuff and making it better ( look at the Walkman)