tradegirl

BMW charging for service history?

Called a dealership to find some service history that isn't on the database.

Found 2 services, apparently it's now £54 due to the time they spend giving service history to customers? Regardless of if it's a trade or retail enquiry.

Weird is not on the database I thought most dealer were a central database now 

Try another dealer . I find it varies for dealer to dealer to dealer. Even the same group in a different location they maybe be able to trace them . 

Ive also noticed a lot of the independents can now update services online with there computer  .

Unsure if they can access previous services but saying that I'm sure someone told me he got a print out for a landrover disco from a place local to him . 

the other option would be say to customer its been BMW serviced and offer to meet half way if they insist on the charge . Just an idea and suggestion

although if I couldn't get anywhere  id probably just pay cause it will add value to car ..  

Edited by Casper

3 minutes ago, Casper said:

Weird is not on the database I thought most dealer were a central database now 

Try another dealer . I find it varies for dealer to dealer to dealer. Even the same group in a different location they maybe be able to trace them . 

Ive also noticed a lot of the independents can now update services online with there computer  .

Unsure if they can access previous services but saying that I'm sure someone told me he got a print out for a landrover disco from a place local to him . 

the other option would be say to customer its been BMW serviced and offer to meet half way if they insist on the charge . Just an idea and suggestion

although if I couldn't get anywhere  id probably just pay cause it will add value to car ..  

I'd gladly pay, Casper but it's only 2 services on a 2011 car. If it was FSH I'd pay no problem.

It's a Williams dealership, if it was a Sytner I've got loads local to me. Written to the previous owner in the hope they're kind enough to send it to me.

20 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

I'd gladly pay, Casper but it's only 2 services on a 2011 car. If it was FSH I'd pay no problem.

It's a Williams dealership, if it was a Sytner I've got loads local to me. Written to the previous owner in the hope they're kind enough to send it to me.

Maybe better just mentioning it to the previous owner .

I find main dealers vary from branch to branch on levels of serviced phoned one last week to book a vw first service after about 5 failed attempted I tried another dealer owned by the same group also fairly local to me 3 minute phone call the car was booked in and the service advisor couldn't have been more helpful . 

Edited by Casper

Tradegirl, call them again tomorrow. 

Tell them you've just bought the vehicle and want to check for outstanding recalls. 

Then casually ask them to tell you the dates and mileages of these 2 services. 

Buy a blank BMW service book from eBay for £20 or a generic one for £4 and a Dymo label gun. 

Enter the details of the two services in the book yourself with the correct date, miles and with the Dymo gun type the dealership name, post code and phone number and stick the label there. 

Don't pay those mugs £54 for 2 minutes of admin time!!!

Edited by Nick M.K.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Tell them you've just bought the vehicle and want to check for outstanding recalls. 

Buy a blank BMW service book from eBay for £20 or a generic one for £4 and a Dymo label gun. 

Enter the details of the two services in the book yourself with the correct date, miles and with the Dymo gun type the dealership name, post code and phone number and stick the label there. 

Its terrible isn't it nick . Asking that kind of money 

27 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I would rather just tell a buyer that the history is confirmed by bmw, i wouldn't want to explain why i was holding a diy service history book in my hand - not to be confused with a duplicate history book supplied and stamped by the franchise is it....

home made service books (even like for like) are one of the reasons this trade gets a shit reputation, the reality is customers are aware these days that confirmation is easily available and in the future will be only available online like the latest mercedes etc (no service book on these now is standard unless requested).

in my eyes - tradegirl by confirming on the phone with bmw you have already done enough on this particular car, cant see having a book in your hand with just 2 stamps being a deal breaker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

I would rather just tell a buyer that the history is confirmed by bmw, i wouldn't want to explain why i was holding a diy service history book in my hand - not to be confused with a duplicate history book supplied and stamped by the franchise is it....

home made service books (even like for like) are one of the reasons this trade gets a shit reputation, the reality is customers are aware these days that confirmation is easily available and in the future will be only available online like the latest mercedes etc (no service book on these now is standard unless requested).

in my eyes - tradegirl by confirming on the phone with bmw you have already done enough on this particular car, cant see having a book in your hand with just 2 stamps being a deal breaker.

I would probably do the same .I would give them the dates and mileage and dealer telephone number and say they could call to confirm the 2 services . 

27 minutes ago, awc1000 said:

I would rather just tell a buyer that the history is confirmed by bmw, i wouldn't want to explain why i was holding a diy service history book in my hand

Well, tell them the truth: 

I have gone the extra mile and have spent a fair bit of time (and money) to research the service history of this car, I paid BMW their £1 a minute on the 0906 number, bought a duplicate service book and personally completed it with all the VERIFIED service information I could find and you now have a book to use to enter the service information during your ownership. 

Incidentally the parts desk at my local BMW dealer is so ashamed by the hoops they have to make me jump through when ordering a duplicate book (V5 in my name or an auction invoice as a minimum proof of ownership) that they ask me to buy one online (eBay) and bring it in to be stamped!!!

Edited by Nick M.K.

19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Well, tell them the truth: 

I have gone the extra mile and have spent a fair bit of time (and money) to research the service history of this car, I paid BMW their £1 a minute on the 0906 number, bought a duplicate service book and personally completed it with all the VERIFIED service information I could find and you now have a book to use to enter the service information during your ownership. 

Incidentally the parts desk at my local BMW dealer is so ashamed by the hoops they have to make me jump through when ordering a duplicate book (V5 in my name or an auction invoice as a minimum proof of ownership) that they ask me to buy one online (eBay) and bring it in to be stamped!!!

iv'e never had a problem obtaining a duplicate history books from franchises, most traders in this industry will or should have a good enough relationship with the franchise to make it easy enough to obtain,though these days duplicate service invoices are a problem due to data protection /customers address on etc.

the bmw parts lads as mentioned can make things awkward for good reason - if they issued these items without any questions or cheaply the result is the dodgy side of this trade would just take the piss / advantage and get creative, there will come a time when its all database only like the mot test, once its all online this will rid the trade of more scumbags like the mot online data check did regarding bent mots, and that is a good thing for the rest of us.

the ebayer's who make a living selling service books don't have many morals, there will be no doubt an element of purchasers who get creative with their purchase, the ebay sellers know this, sadly the people doing this practise are wise enough to work out when a franchise closed or was sold etc giving them a good idea how to create a false history.

i have even had in the past a muppet turn up some years ago with a bmw with a book from another car, they hadn't changed it just presumed a different book was ok

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awc1000 said:

iv'e never had a problem obtaining a duplicate history books from franchises, most traders in this industry will or should have a good enough relationship with the franchise to make it easy enough to obtain,though these days duplicate service invoices are a problem due to data protection /customers address on etc.

the bmw parts lads as mentioned can make things awkward for good reason - if they issued these items without any questions or cheaply the result is the dodgy side of this trade would just take the piss / advantage and get creative, there will come a time when its all database only like the mot test, once its all online this will rid the trade of more scumbags like the mot online data check did regarding bent mots, and that is a good thing for the rest of us.

the ebayer's who make a living selling service books don't have many morals, there will be no doubt an element of purchasers who get creative with their purchase, the ebay sellers know this, sadly the people doing this practise are wise enough to work out when a franchise closed or was sold etc giving them a good idea how to create a false history.

i have even had in the past a muppet turn up some years ago with a bmw with a book from another car, they hadn't changed it just presumed a different book was ok

Haha bet he thought nothing off it it's takes all sorts .