Sign in to follow this  
CRW

Have some cars doubled in like-for-like price in the last few years?

Last weekend I took a trip down memory lane and looked back at some of my DA purchases from yesteryear. A bad move I know. Now, I've been moaning to family and friends that its costing so much more money to stock to an equivalent level as a few years back.  I know all about inflation and accept everything increases in price but a couple in particular jumped out at me. In mid 2015 I bought a 2008 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec, good bread and butter stock, 48k with FSH. I paid £2500 for it. Hardly any prep. However, taking the equivalent car today, 4 years later, a 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec with the same miles, you aren't going to get that for less than £4500- £5000. The strange thing is I don't remember thinking I stole the 2008 Focus for £2500, I felt it was a fair price. The same car today is about double the cost to buy at trade.  The other was a 2013 Peugeot 107, less than 2 years old, less than 3000 miles and I had quite a bit of change from £4000. Today I am picking up the same aged Aygo, so essentially the same car, 30k miles, 4 years down the line and £3000 nowhere near covers it. Like I said, I know everything goes up, but taking a step back, the rate of inflation seems a bit crazy, certainly in the sub £6000 retail bracket.  Or maybe its just me!

Edited by CRW

gets worse every year

and yes it does cloud my judgement buying

saw a car that i had sold in january in the block this week,it did £700 more than i paid in december (citroen c1)

17 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

gets worse every year

and yes it does cloud my judgement buying

saw a car that i had sold in january in the block this week,it did £700 more than i paid in december (citroen c1)

It does completely cloud your judgement when buying. You imagine the returning customer who paid £3995 four years ago for his Focus looking at the equivalent car at £6495 and wondering what the hell happened! Then the best I can do is shrug my shoulders and say "things have gone up a lot in the last few years!", hoping he doesn't ask "why?"

I agree and also we seem to have lost some models that sold well or their new equivalent has died

Fiestas 2002-2009 cracking sellers - new ones can’t shift (see other thread)

Ibiza and Polo - again can’t shift now unless cheap as chips

Celicas

Vectras and Astras - laugh if you want but we shifted loads. Hate insignia and the gearboxes in them and the new Astra’s 

307s great sellers, 308s NOTHING but problems 

Xsara Picasso brilliant cheap budget motoring and rarely any issues. C4 grand Picaaap  maybe worst car ever made l.

Cant buy a load of v50s, s40s or v70s with the 1.6d as have too many issues 

don’t want any ford auto power shift or early 2.2 engine so rules out a lot of those and Mazda 6s. 

Micra - k12 flew out, newer ones stick, same with Yaris 

probably loads more examples if I sat and thought about it 

107/c1/Aygo seemed to fill the void left for starter cars when fiestas Yaris micra died a bit they now seem expensive , need to be sub 3k and also seem to be a decline. 

Also used to love a Tigra or a 206cc. But won’t touch 207cc. And Astra twin tops are wank

Used to sell loads of Saab’s but now hard to source. 

3 hours ago, CRW said:

It does completely cloud your judgement when buying. 

I actually think this is why some of the new traders do well because they don't see everything as expensive and focus on % only

26 minutes ago, twerp said:

I actually think this is why some of the new traders do well because they don't see everything as expensive and focus on % only

I think not knowing anything about how it used to be can be a blessing.

• Like 1