Sign in to follow this  
James01

Registering import

Hi guys,

after a bit of help, I am taking a vehicle in part exchange from Jersey so need to re register it as a UK vehicle.

I have never had to do this before, is it an easy enough process for those who have done it before? Anything I should be aware of? 

thanks 

1 hour ago, James01 said:

I have never had to do this before, is it an easy enough process for those who have done it before? Anything I should be aware of? 

The DVLA has a form (V55 I think), straightforward enough. If the vehicle has been exported from UK to JER less than a year ago you might have to repay back the VAT they reclaimed at the time of the export! If the vehicle has been in Jersey for a while there shouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by Nick M.K.

It all depends on where the car was first born, if it was first registered in the u.k or e.u then it will be duty free as long as it's over 6 months old or 1000km's and in some cases as nick said has been there 12months plus and was not subject to vat reclaimed here.

be careful though because if it was first registered in the channel islands then it will be due vat duty on it's current value when imported to the u.k, the exact reason why nice low mileage cars no longer come this way in the numbers like they did years ago.

a

Edited by awc1000

V55 form.

Prepare to jump through hoops with DVLA. 

Certificate of conformity may be required. 

Mot on chassis number(if it’s over 3 years old)

Paperwork must be bang on or else DVLA will reject after 10 days and then it will take another 10 days for them to look at it again when resubmitted. 

Youmay need paperwork from jersey stating date of first registration. 

13 hours ago, Stalker said:

V55 form.

Prepare to jump through hoops with DVLA. 

Certificate of conformity may be required. 

Mot on chassis number(if it’s over 3 years old)

Paperwork must be bang on or else DVLA will reject after 10 days and then it will take another 10 days for them to look at it again when resubmitted. 

Youmay need paperwork from jersey stating date of first registration. 

this what i had to get for a car from isle of man

i had to pay for it and something else cant really remember

if its a good spec car that you know has profit in the window i would get it but be aware this process takes time,lots of it but things may have changed

mine helped as it had first been registered in the uk

1 minute ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

mine helped as it had first been registered in the uk

If it has already been assigned a reg number by DVLA, you dont need a V55. You can just do it via a V62 from memory.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully should be relatively straight forward.