James Bush

DVLA & Tax refund

I'm not sure if any of you will have come across this before but I'm having a nightmare getting a tax refund from the DVLA. We taxed a car online to use then 3 days later sold it, the customer came 2 days later to collect and we retaxed it online using the new keepers supplement. When the new V5 arrived, about a week later we sent this off to DVLA and the customer has received his V5 in his name and is all taxed and legal. Thinking we'd done everything correct we've waited for a tax refund to arrive which has never been received and after a couple of phone calls to DVLA it sounds like we won't get one because we taxed it on the V5 new keepers supplement twice.

I don't know if I've done anything wrong and was trying to do it all 100% correct. In hindsight it would have been easier to deliver the car, let the customer drive it around on my tax then sent the V5 to the customer once we'd received it for him to retax but this isn't correct is it?

I just want my refund - it was a 2.0 petrol Passat and 5 months tax is a good chunk of money and if you shouldn't tax it twice on the green slip why did DVLA's systems allow me?

dvla computer cant digest so many changes in such a short time so rejects,i would either be looking for recompense from a higher source by finding who to write to at dvla towers by asking or write it off and take the medicine

my insurer who is lv wont let me tax a car unless its registered in my name so slamming cars on the MID is not an option anymore for me and lets be honest here its going to be a right paper trail if you get a bumpsy whilst driving it or worse selling it within a short time and your paperwork isnt triplicated

just tax a barge you will never sell if you arent bothered what you drive its really much easier in the long term and allows you to make it a pigsty too if you want:lol:

Edited by s and b
  • Like 1

You should have taxed it on DD then just cancel the DD online in you bank account settings soon as you stop using the car, works a charm !

• Like 3

Actually another we loop hole in the system (not that we take advantage of loop holes) , you can road tax the vehicle for 6 months then as long as the car is sold within 2 months you can still put the new owner details on the V5 and cover the cost of the 4 months road tax you can't reclaim in the cost of the transaction, however I think Wheeldealer1's idea is the best !!!

Jim

• Like 1

Actually another we loop hole in the system (not that we take advantage of loop holes) , you can road tax the vehicle for 6 months then as long as the car is sold within 2 months you can still put the new owner details on the V5 and cover the cost of the 4 months road tax you can't reclaim in the cost of the transaction, however I think Wheeldealer1's idea is the best !!!

Jim

having been on the wrong end of a car tax fiasco at xmas where dvla were sending refund cheques out like confetti and the new owners car then showed as untaxed its not a policy i would follow but then i like to sleep soundly in my bed

:lol: 4 years & 5 months - that must be a record!

Edited by BHM

Sounds like this is happening because you taxed it twice using the same green slip? Are you sure the customers car is still taxed as sending in the new v5 in his name might have also cancelled his tax if it was taxed on the previous green slip seeing that you were still waiting for the v5 to come back in your name. 
Sounds  messy. 

Nice spot. I’m a fucking twat. Next time I’ll make sure to check the dates.