Sign in to follow this  
Steve92

Trade plate question

On Monday I'm off to Eastbourne to collect a car. The customer is transferring the registration plate and from the sounds of it wants to keep the physical number plate. So armed with the trade plates and hopefully convincing the customer to let me keep the plates and post them back I only have one potential issue ....

i'll coming across the dartford bridge/tunnel, question is when paying the crossing fee I assume it will be the trade number I need to enter which won't actually relate to the vehicle. Has anyone done this before ? Any tips or advice ?

thanks

Has the log book come back with the original reg number? if so can you get some plates made up for the car before monday.

Nope, they sent the v5 off this week. Ideally I'd prefer to keep the original plates on then post them back and avoid carrying the plates as strictly speaking it would be taxed until the age related plate v5 is completed.

For the sake of £5 i would probably just get a new set made up and give them to the customer leaving the set on the car now. They would have to be a very tricky customer not to be happy with that.

bit confused here,the stand on using trade plates is that they should be the only plates visible on the car whilst being driven,the days of putting them in the window have gone and now many police forces are fining for doing this,i dont know where you stand re going through the tunnel but your plates will be on the mid as recognised and this would be the only plate i would be registering prior to using the tunnel

This might need another thread but I thought trade plates elated to tax not insurance ? The car in question would still be taxed as the number plate is in the process of being transferred this customer wants to take the physical number plates from the car. 

However i thought I had read somewhere on the dvla that if it was a short journey then having them inside was acceptable ? It seems a regular occurrence to see them inside the vehicle and with some cars it's almost impossible to get the trade plate to hide the rear number plate ?

This might need another thread but I thought trade plates elated to tax not insurance ? The car in question would still be taxed as the number plate is in the process of being transferred this customer wants to take the physical number plates from the car.

However i thought I had read somewhere on the dvla that if it was a short journey then having them inside was acceptable ? It seems a regular occurrence to see them inside the vehicle and with some cars it's almost impossible to get the trade plate to hide the rear number plate ?

When they invented ANPR they didn't really consider the needs of motor traders?:D

They are just too preoccupied with money ....

i'll try and get the owner to leave the plates on but just in case I do have the trade plates and a roll of gaffer tape with me.... Then I just need to work out how we pay the tunnel fee given the trade plates won't relate to a Range Rover .... No doubt they would be quick to fine you even though they don't make it easy.

speaking to a trader at my place today and i commented on the fact he had properly transfixed his trade plates totally covering the cars number plates and mentioned apart from me no one else seems to do it round here,got fined he said for displaying cars plates and trade plates were in window,there you go,your local plod might turn a blind eye as every area is different,

me i drill the front plates and affix the trade plate with 2 self tappers and for the rear i gaffer up the cars plate and usually hang the trade plate off the wiper with my old fashioned alloy plate still in its rubber holder,so all my cars have extra drilled front number plate holes :ph34r:

speaking to a trader at my place today and i commented on the fact he had properly transfixed his trade plates totally covering the cars number plates and mentioned apart from me no one else seems to do it round here,got fined he said for displaying cars plates and trade plates were in window,there you go,your local plod might turn a blind eye as every area is different,

me i drill the front plates and affix the trade plate with 2 self tappers and for the rear i gaffer up the cars plate and usually hang the trade plate off the wiper with my old fashioned alloy plate still in its rubber holder,so all my cars have extra drilled front number plate holes :ph34r:

I used to see cars with extra number plate holes now i know why!