Sign in to follow this  
Lazz

Bodyshop prices

As much as I prefer to buy stuff not needing bodywork I find it difficult to buy stuff not needing any but tend not to buy anything needing more than perhaps 3 panels painting, I only work from home and don't do massive numbers and have used the same bodyshop for the last 10 years or so, he is always busy and sometimes I can't get stuff quite as quick as I would sometimes like but the work is always ok but I will say I am sure the prices are creeping up but then it might be me just being a tight sod and it's just me but I was woundering what others might be having to pay, an example of what I am paying is full bumper paint and crack repair £180 or if it's something just like a bumper scuff its £80

is it time do you think to find another bodyshop or am i just being a skinflint 

Your being a skin flint :rolleyes: in fact you might be robbing him :ph34r: even . 

Hes not robbing you at that money . Especially if hes a good painter . 

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten :D if your customers cant see his work , hes a keeper . :)

• Like 2

It depends on the standard of repair you want & the cars you’re repairing. Top painters cost top money (tbh they won’t want trade work anyway) but if, like me, you believe the average punter wouldn’t know a bad job from a good job then any thinners-sniffing idiot with spray gun will do.

No joking here, I use a 73 year old half-blind pensioner whos finish is as rough as a badger’s arse (orange peel a go-go), any filler work makes you sea-sick just looking at it and he isn’t shy with the paint judging by the overspray. I have NEVER had an adverse comment about his work from a punter.

Just now, BHM said:

It depends on the standard of repair you want & the cars you’re repairing. Top painters cost top money (tbh they won’t want trade work anyway) but if, like me, you believe the average punter wouldn’t know a bad job from a good job then any thinners-sniffing idiot with spray gun will do.

No joking here, I use a 73 year old half-blind pensioner whos finish is as rough as a badger’s arse (orange peel a go-go), any filler work makes you sea-sick just looking at it and he isn’t shy with the paint judging by the overspray. I have NEVER had an adverse comment about his work from a punter.

just going to say the same

have 2 painters

one for the magnify glass customer

another to paint the shitters

6 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

if your customers cant see his work , hes a keeper . :)

Unless you painted a panel on a black car red 99% of punters wouldn’t have a clue. 

5 minutes ago, Lazz said:

As much as I prefer to buy stuff not needing bodywork I find it difficult to buy stuff not needing any but tend not to buy anything needing more than perhaps 3 panels painting, I only work from home and don't do massive numbers and have used the same bodyshop for the last 10 years or so, he is always busy and sometimes I can't get stuff quite as quick as I would sometimes like but the work is always ok but I will say I am sure the prices are creeping up but then it might be me just being a tight sod and it's just me but I was woundering what others might be having to pay, an example of what I am paying is full bumper paint and crack repair £180 or if it's something just like a bumper scuff its £80

is it time do you think to find another bodyshop or am i just being a skinflint 

Better the devil you know. Finding a reliable paint shop which is reasonably priced isn’t easy, hang on to him. Your prices seem reasonable to me, my guy is £100 a panel but he feathers it in properly and £150 a bumper (off body). The price reduces as more work is required. He’s always really busy... if I was going to expand I would move into paint. 

• Like 1

I'd say once you have found a good one, keep a hold of them and let them know you prefer to use them; may help get in and out sooner.... a good one will always be busy... prices are on the increase in general.. So I'd expect them to head north from time to time.. electricity / compliance / heating for spray booth / disposal of sh*te off the vehicles... its not all just about sanding and spraying.. if its done well, then it aint a topic of conversation you will be having with billy.. and lets face, some billies do not know how to converse.. full stop.

4 hours ago, BHM said:

Unless you painted a panel on a black car red 99% of punters wouldn’t have a clue. 

Especially when they have a px :ph34r:

" Well I've never seen that before :D "but you have just inspected the car your looking at buying for paint work " 

Yeah your right it's me stuck in a time warp over prices and I must admit the more you have done the better value it seems.

your right about the fact a lot of customers can't tell the difference between a bad job and a good one, used to use a bloke who used to do it on the side and would paint a full van for £500 but boy was it rough talk about runs, but I must admit never had a customer complain about it but I stopped using him eventually through embarrassment on my part

Or they tell you it drives fine but within 100 yards of you test driving it you can tell the gear box is knackered and whining like a good un and the look of surprise on their face when you tell them yet they have just drove 40 miles to you in it.

I pay (all + VAT in case you're not registered).

Full Bumper £140

Part Bumper £60

Full wheel refurb (the best I have seen anywhere, dip, media blast, fill and powder coat) £45 a corner

Full panels vary but roughly £100-£150 depending on how far they need to fade out.

Oh, they also collect the vehicles and drop them back (we are on the same trading estate).

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I pay (all + VAT in case you're not registered).

Full panels vary but roughly £100-£150 depending on how far they need to fade out.

whats the point in them being done roughly?

might as well get a rattle can and a handful of sand:huh:

40 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

whats the point in them being done roughly?

might as well get a rattle can and a handful of sand:huh:

/\ /\ /\ This .....................

I now Paint my own personal Cars, all the tossers within 120 mile round trip can't take a trim piece off a Merc without breaking it, send the Car back full of Dust, Overspray and that White Polish crap flicked everywhere, and they Filler & Paint like Stevie Wonder :rolleyes:

I don't Paint Sales Cars, apart from a touch in here and their, and I don't to punter paint because I am too slow at it to get a decent finished article that I am happy with !!

Thanks for the feedback I will stick with the chap I use as from what your all saying his prices are fair, I think it's just with me not using anyone else for the past 10 years I have often wondered and when I sometimes think let's try someone else next time I think better the devil you know.