Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

2009 Mercedes SLK Head Unit

Hi Guys

Need a bit of guidance please.

Dipper taken on SLK yesterday.

Stereo, head unit, media (whatever one prefers) does not work (customer aware).  Promised to fit an Android compatible unit which would have more bells and whistles that the basic OEM unit.

The dash is slightly curved, so a generic aftermarket unit won't do.  I did a quick search whilst he was contempleting the purhcase (and before I promised anything).  Anyway, turns out the one I quickly seached for about £200 will bluetooth/DVD/Nav etc is actually for a CLK (not the SLK I searched for).  Now I am struggling to find one for a reasonable price and the customer (unaware) has gone off happy, knowing he is in fact having an upgrade over OEM, albeit he knows it will likely be Chinese.

Anyone suggest anything, experience etc.  Like I say, I do want the correct fitment with the "Merc look" buttons to the left and right, akin to the original unit.

Thanks in advance or as Dave would say TIA

You could always fit a facia adapter try connects 2 or armour automotive then you will be able to fit anything you want standard din size.

they will also be able to supply you with all the quad lock adapters and fakra aerial options so it will be plug and play. 

Mark,

Double Din will look shit in this Car.

Fakra's etc come with the proper ones ..........

What model SLK is it ?? ...............

R171 ? R172 ?

This is the one for R171 as that is what I expect your Car is ...............

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVD-GPS-BT-ANDROID-8-1-DAB-CARPLAY-WIFI-MERCEDES-BENZ-SLK-CLASS-W171-R171-K5576/264051925916?hash=item3d7ab8a39c:g:Ba0AAOSwE9Bb9Hoc

These guys are a good UK seller, with decent after sales service ;)

Don't let Joe Bloggs ICE Cowboys fit the bloody thing, until you've done 1 or 2 they are a bit of a nightmare as the "instructions" are Chinglish Bin Fodder.

You must hook it into the Cars CAN Bus and configure it correctly, then they are great units ;)

You must not connect wires like Acc +, Reverse Trigger, Illumination, etc etc as the CAN Bus tells the H/U what to do and when, a lot of guys connect all this stuff, don't configure them correctly and then moan that they don't work right ;) Those wires are only there because they share the motherboards on other units that go in non CAN Bus Cars :wacko:

Speakers are also a bit of a pain if it's a BOSE F/Optic Car, and you also have to remove certain stuff and get SDS to Code things to say they aren't present otherwise you get battery Drain because CAN Bus stays awake looking for parts that are no longer there ;)

Don't let this put you off, they are great when done, and it's not as difficult as it sounds, but they aren't simple plug and play like a lot of guys would have you believe, still worth the effort over others on the market tho :D

I've done a few now so gimme a shout if you aren't sure. Reverse Cam wiring is a wank job on SLK, due to needing careful routing to avoid folding roof mechanism :(

BTW, if you use the Chinese F/O converter they sound shit and Fader doesn't work, we wire the H/U's 50w x 4 Channels to the speaker leads from the Bose Amp, and ditch that, then we wire the Sub and Centre Dash using - from one channel and + from the other, so those 2 are Mono, woof on rear, and Centre Dash on front, I don't know if that applies to R171 or not, depends if it has those 2 as well as the regular 4 stereo speakers but that's how I did a few S & E Classes ;)

Then they sound great :)

Edited by Dave2302

Thank you both

This is the car Dave https://www.imperial-marques.co.uk/cars/mercedes/slk/slk200kompressorauto/236608/

I will be sending it to my auto electrician, he is great.  Wouldn't trust the workshop folk though.

I saw that one Dave, nice fitment but the delivery date fucks things up (alot).

UPDATE:

Spoken to them and they have the model up unit in for next working day delivery - thanks all.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

OK Mark,

That Car is an R171 ;)

He He you'll know that cos the VIN Number starts xxx171 :lol:

I wasn't endorsing that firm, it was just the first one I came across, wanted to give you an example of what you're looking for ...................

That's the Head Unit you are aiming for, tbh they aren't usually an overnight delivery, I waited about 10 days for the one I put in my R170 ;)

You can't buy a used Merc unit for that, and they all fuck up in short order anyways that's how I've done so many Androids in Mercs :rolleyes:

And yes use a decent spark hopefully he's familiar with SDS Version Coding, MB's and Chinesium Androids ;)

43 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Thank you both

This is the car Dave https://www.imperial-marques.co.uk/cars/mercedes/slk/slk200kompressorauto/236608/

I will be sending it to my auto electrician, he is great.  Wouldn't trust the workshop folk though.

I saw that one Dave, nice fitment but the delivery date fucks things up (alot).

UPDATE:

Spoken to them and they have the model up unit in for next working day delivery - thanks all.

Great result, one impressed punter somewhere down the line... Make sure the bonnet catch is working!

35 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

That sold quick Mark! Good stuff.  

I could sell that car a dozen times, had a few messers and an offer of £8k within 24 hours.

Still got full asking and on finance, so happy boy.

It was sale number 5 this week.

That is how shit EBMP is :lol:

25 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Great result, one impressed punter somewhere down the line... Make sure the bonnet catch is working!

Brilliant.....

At least there can't be kids in the back :P

54 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

OK Mark,

That Car is an R171 ;)

He He you'll know that cos the VIN Number starts xxx171 :lol:

I wasn't endorsing that firm, it was just the first one I came across, wanted to give you an example of what you're looking for ...................

That's the Head Unit you are aiming for, tbh they aren't usually an overnight delivery, I waited about 10 days for the one I put in my R170 ;)

You can't buy a used Merc unit for that, and they all fuck up in short order anyways that's how I've done so many Androids in Mercs :rolleyes:

And yes use a decent spark hopefully he's familiar with SDS Version Coding, MB's and Chinesium Androids ;)

Seems a nice chap and will be here Monday - cost £296 + VAT landed.

Off the sparky next week then.

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I wasn't endorsing that firm

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

What were you doing then :P:lol:

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

I wasn't endorsing that firm, it was just the first one I came across, wanted to give you an example of what you're looking for

:P

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Meaning don't buy from China, use a UK seller, and I've seen he's been around a while :P

Gi's a break guvnor, rageing tooth and a Renault in the workshop for 3 fuckin window regulators :o

I been up since 2 am with the bloody tooth, nothing including a half bottle will stop the poxy tooth and can't get it pulled until 3 this arvo, promised the woman the Renny Arnoux for the w/e

Edited by Dave2302