Sign in to follow this  
j4ck100

Should i get alloys refurbished?

Hi All

Recently picked up a 09 Fiat 500 1.2 Sport from auction - total price £4050

Needs a service, MOT and 2 front tyres

Retail looks to be £5000 or thereabouts

Alloys are all kerbed a little bit. Annoying as the car is otherwise mint. Would you bother getting the wheels refurbed and therefore margin reduced, or leave it and hope customer doesn't mind ?

Thanks

why don't you take a picture of them and upload to this forum and then we can see how bad they are and advise accordingly

Unless they look really bad i would just leave it as is. Bung it up at your retail price and be prepared to knock a couple hundred off to get the deal done if they are fussy. It is suprising what some people will happily take if they get a few quid knocked off.

Personally I'd get them refurbished even if it pushes the retail price up 200-300 - and sell the benefits that they are 'as new' no damage etc ! I feel that will also show next buyers that the car has been well cared for etc....! 

pushing the retail price up 200-300 pounds is not always an option though. If the cars retail money is 5k then i would say thats the best your going to get even with brand new wheels. It is just too competitive out there, buyers are driven by price and being able to "knock off" 200-300 is much easier than trying to add 200-300 to the retail figure in my opinion. Or else you could be stuck with that car for a long time to get the money you need to make it pay.

If the margin is tight i'd be inclined to leave them with minor damage (if it is minor) and then arrange to have them refurbed if they make a fuss to get the deal done. It's all about getting people through the door to look at the car(s), then you can manage them whilst they are there. If the margin was larger I'd always say get them sorted first so there is nothing for the buyer to knock the car down on and asking price is the only option but if you've got a small margin after your service, MOT (with potential failures) & tyres you're better running the chance they won't notice/care IMO.

Moral of the story, buy better! ;)

Very few cars have unmarked wheels though, as a private buyer I would happily take kerbed wheels and knock money off, the reason smart repairs do not really last and you only end up doing them properly again - strip back, powder coat paint etc. my other pet hate is overspray/dirt on the inside of the wheel. Fortunately the 320i I collected yesterday with diamond cut wheels doesn't have a mark on them.

Further to this, and it is a bit of a bodge:

VW Reflex Silver touch up paint (on the shelf pre-mixed in Halfords) is a very good match for a lot of silver alloys. If you've got a couple of small nicks this will certainly take the eye off them, as we know most cars sell from an overall impression from a couple of feet away. If it shouts kerbed from a distance you're into discount or repair, if it looks presentable then most people won't look closer.

Don't judge me please :D

Further to this, and it is a bit of a bodge:

VW Reflex Silver touch up paint (on the shelf pre-mixed in Halfords) is a very good match for a lot of silver alloys. If you've got a couple of small nicks this will certainly take the eye off them, as we know most cars sell from an overall impression from a couple of feet away. If it shouts kerbed from a distance you're into discount or repair, if it looks presentable then most people won't look closer.

Don't judge me please :D

You'll be telling us you use Tipp-Ex on white cars and permanent marker on black next.. :D

You'll be telling us you use Tipp-Ex on white cars and permanent marker on black next.. :D

Haha! I wouldn't go that far but I used the old touch up technique on a set of quite badly kerbed wheels on a mini with no profit left in it (new gearbox & alternator required :angry:) this week and got it sold to a picky person. It's not right, but it's ok B)

Another top tip. You can often 'negotiate' a good deal if you find a  "wheel refurb" guy when he is working at the auction. The bigger sites usually have guys there almost permanently doing paint, wheels and screen chips and I have found them to be very approachable.

I used the black pen trick on my hire car :)

I parked a hire car in Manheim Colchester and had it keyed down the side for my trouble. Took me hours to get that scratch out with a mop!:D

• Like 1

Not sure the wife would let me take the rotary with me, it was just Sod's law that it was a brand new hire car, well 400 miles ..

Another top tip. You can often 'negotiate' a good deal if you find a  "wheel refurb" guy when he is working at the auction. The bigger sites usually have guys there almost permanently doing paint, wheels and screen chips and I have found them to be very approachable.

I parked a hire car in Manheim Colchester and had it keyed down the side for my trouble. Took me hours to get that scratch out with a mop!:D

I don't believe that BCA bother with wheel refurb or do anything apart from clean and inspect cars as mostly everything that goes through is kerbed and or has bodywork defects

If its just the edges that are marked and if you are near me, pop it round and we can fit a set of Gators - Hides the edges, and is a protector for the customer for the future - £150.00 inc vat retail for 4 wheels, but I am sure I can work out a deal for a fellow trader.

• Like 1