Sign in to follow this  
Del Boy

2011 BMW 320i Issue

1 hour ago, Grantlfc81 said:

Yes, it won’t stretch again after, just give me chassis and I can get what recalls are required.

its the ‘brake retrofit’ which is code name for timing chain you need to look out for.

there is 3 or 4 recalls on BMW’s between 2007-2011 

batery cable to ecu melting

timing chain

Air con blower 

And one more but I’m hungover so can’t think

I think it's passenger airbag. 

I spoke with Fairfield who say it's just battery cable and passenger airbag for the recall. However Sytner say it's all three so your 'contact' is correct. Thanks again Grant. Have you ever had a car go in for the brake retro fit recall and NOT have the chain changed?? 

33 minutes ago, tradex said:

Why is the timing chain refered to as 'brake retrofit'?

If they are trying to mask a bigger problem, surely, this wording seems counter intuitive?

Having looked into this in more depth, the recall isn't on the chain itself. It's on some brake servo but apparently the chain is affected in some way and therefore the chain and guides are replaced too. This isn't always the case though, if the chain passes the test then just the brake retrofit is carried out. I wonder how this will work in my case, will BMW be alright about me taking a car in there that barely runs and just tell them to carry out the required recalls? Most of the time when the chain is replaced under this recall the car is in full working order but BMW find the issue with their diagnostic equipment. Hope this makes sense! 

6 hours ago, Del Boy said:

I think it's passenger airbag. 

I spoke with Fairfield who say it's just battery cable and passenger airbag for the recall. However Sytner say it's all three so your 'contact' is correct. Thanks again Grant. Have you ever had a car go in for the brake retro fit recall and NOT have the chain changed?? 

Hi mate they do a tension test to find out :)

most of them need it. You’re welcome mate.

4 hours ago, Del Boy said:

Having looked into this in more depth, the recall isn't on the chain itself. It's on some brake servo but apparently the chain is affected in some way and therefore the chain and guides are replaced too. This isn't always the case though, if the chain passes the test then just the brake retrofit is carried out. I wonder how this will work in my case, will BMW be alright about me taking a car in there that barely runs and just tell them to carry out the required recalls? Most of the time when the chain is replaced under this recall the car is in full working order but BMW find the issue with their diagnostic equipment. Hope this makes sense! 

It will probably need doing, the guides break and fall inside the oil pump and your engine WILL FAIL

5 hours ago, tradex said:

Why is the timing chain refered to as 'brake retrofit'?

If they are trying to mask a bigger problem, surely, this wording seems counter intuitive?

Yes they are masking a huge problem...... so many of our cars need this doing.

4 hours ago, Del Boy said:

It will probably need doing, the guides break and fall inside the full pump and your engine WILL FAIL

regarding WBAUD72070E414016

there is no recalls

Edited by Grantlfc81

Take it this is the hams hall 4 pot petrol unit similar 1 series / mini ? had a few done on the 1 series diesel recall few years back (front rear chains / tensioner guide) but been lucky on petrol,but i trade everything anyway.

Are there any issues / recalls on the later 6 pot motor 323i upwards? cheers.

1 series 116i came back today from a customer, engine light on and mis firing, low and behold timing chain recall.

booked in end of March by bmw.... 

amazing how many issues we are seeing as a dealer with these 4 cylinder petrols.

Edited by Grantlfc81

2 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

1 series 116i came back today from a customer, engine light on and mis firing, low and behold timing chain recall.

booked in end of March by bmw.... 

amazing how many issues we are seeing as a dealer with these 4 cylinder petrols.

Is it any mileages Grant?

I have a good, confirmed customer that wants a small engined, Petrol, manual convertible. Pref a one series or a Golf or A3 in white ideally. Up to 9 grand.

I've tried to put them off but to no avail. Is the Golf/A3 any better a prospect? I’m just dreading the comeback obviously and usually swerve Germany’s finest when I can as I may have mentioned. ;o)

What about an Audi A3 1.8 Tfsi convertible.... good motors those.

Why do you swerve German cars? It’s all we sell 

19 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

What about an Audi A3 1.8 Tfsi convertible.... good motors those.

Yes A3 in white is her preferred choice but wants cheap(er) tax. 1.8 might work  

I only swerve them because I was fed up of the constant issues and recon/auto gearboxes, oil consumption, plastic swirl flaps etc. Been a good couple of years now  

I still have the odd few but don’t go looking for them. 

Cheers for your advice. I’ll see if I can find one. 

11 hours ago, Grantlfc81 said:

I'm currently questioning why I bother with them, after having done a turbo on a A6 3.0 tdi for the second time having ingested part of the Exhaust Manifold - Yes the Exhaust Manifold! (Not the usual inlet manifold problem on these engines).

We have sold German cars for quite a while, and unfortunately they are not as good as they were.

They have problems designed into them now.