Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful South Martin

Audi A3 TDi swirl flap kit

Has anyone got a supplier/contact for a swirl flap kit for an Audi A3 TDi 2.0 (170bhp), just checked with Audi and you have to buy the complete inlet manifold. Looked on ebay and can only find a kit for the 2.7 and 3.0 engine...any pointers please.

I don’t know but if it involves big numbers of the £ variety I’d be tempted to remove the manifold anyway & see if you can remove them. 

Of course I could be talking bollocks but I assume the problem is with them sticking.

55 minutes ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

Has anyone got a supplier/contact for a swirl flap kit for an Audi A3 TDi 2.0 (170bhp), just checked with Audi and you have to buy the complete inlet manifold. Looked on ebay and can only find a kit for the 2.7 and 3.0 engine...any pointers please.

What year is it? And what codes are you getting?

I have experience with these inlet manifolds its basically over rotation of the flaps them selves, Its a poor design and it will be a problem as its plastic on plastic its a  constantly moving part and it just wears, The kits mean that the swirl flap rotation arm is now going to have a "hard" stop against a aluminium billet, There are load on Ebay you just need to be sure you are ordering the correct one, You may need the part number of the manifold on there to make sure your purchase is the exact one for your car, I done 2 of these now £15 rather than £500 

Loads of Vids too on Youtube

1 hour ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

2007 (57) No eml on just running lumpy and belching smoke out the back. Stripped and cleaned EGR which was seriously clogged up, fuel filter was black as well.

Aah right, It’s probably nothing to do with the swirl flaps. if you can get them to the open position and leave them there and see it if improves? On that year they should be vacuum operated (just disconnect the vaccum pipe to the actuator) 

Engine timing ok? Injectors/seals/wiring are very common on that year too. 

You mention the fuel was black, have you drained the tank? It may have black diesel in there too, this is usually contaminated with engine oil. 

1 hour ago, Blenheim Car Sales said:

I have experience with these inlet manifolds its basically over rotation of the flaps them selves, Its a poor design and it will be a problem as its plastic on plastic its a  constantly moving part and it just wears, The kits mean that the swirl flap rotation arm is now going to have a "hard" stop against a aluminium billet, There are load on Ebay you just need to be sure you are ordering the correct one, You may need the part number of the manifold on there to make sure your purchase is the exact one for your car, I done 2 of these now £15 rather than £500 

Loads of Vids too on Youtube

Yes we drill the flap and put a bolt through it to make a physical stop, unfortunately that is only Applicable to the common rail engined cars, the op has an earlier model. 

16 hours ago, Beautiful South Martin said:

I remove the the flaps and remap them off the ECU so you get no errors. Can help out if your local to East Sussex 

9 hours ago, AGS said:

I remove the the flaps and remap them off the ECU so you get no errors. Can help out if your local to East Sussex 

This