Sign in to follow this  
Firefighter Wash

Brand new person

Hi to all, thought I would take 5 and introduce myself, I'm John (48), live in the Southwest (Torbay) and brand spanking new to car dealing, I've been involved in the tree surgery business for many years running my own business for approx 15yrs, also I'm a retained firefighter of which I'm contracted to 63hrs a week, its always been an ambition for me to be involved in the used car business, sure alot of you who have been involved in the business would say keep clear, I would say the same about tree work but if you don't try you'll never know!, like most things they always look easier from the outside looking in.

I spent most of Christmas and New Year reading up on posts on this site, thanks to everyone who contributes, really helpful information, my local auctions are BCA Bridgewater and Manheim Plymouth, managed to do a couple of dry runs to BCA to suss things out, couldn't put things off any longer so bought a tidy Peugeot, didn't need much other than a good tidy, sold it 2 weeks later with not a bad profit (bought for £1200, sold for £1850), last week came back with a 1 series BMW, after all I had read up not entirely sure why I bought it!?!, I think just got caught up in the auction banter, I will keep you posted on how it works out, with the MOT tomorrow you may never her from me again :).

I've been offered a small frontage probably get around 6-8 cars on and its on a main road, cost is minimal so I think a bit of a no brainer, if I had a bit more experience / confidence in the trade then decisions would be alot easier, next visit to BCA tomorrow, currently on a Silver card but negotiating Gold to reduce fees, bit of a kick in the teeth these are!

So that's a brief introduction and where I am at the moment, thanks again for all who take time out and contribute, for us neewbies this information is really helpful.

Cheers

John

Nice intro John.

I am a 1 series fan and have sold more of these than anything else during the past 12 months or so.  Good sellers with the right spec/colour.

Good luck mate. One bit of advice, you need to increase your margins, even on the lower value stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Nice intro John.

I am a 1 series fan and have sold more of these than anything else during the past 12 months or so.  Good sellers with the right spec/colour.

Good luck mate. One bit of advice, you need to increase your margins, even on the lower value stuff.

2007 120i SE, Silver,leather  61K. Thanks Mark, any advice more than welcome!

Welcome John, 

you will find the advise differs in this forum which isn’t a bad thing. 

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your margins for now, more importantly your in having a go and turning a profit, I feel sometimes you can read to much and never act on it. 

Whats your local support network like, paint shop, mot garage, mechanic, spark, dent guy, Valetor.

these are all vital as you grow best to start building relationships as early on as you can iron out and find out who is worth there weight in gold. 

Ps, how hard can it be to chop a tree down 

Edited by justina3
  • Like 1

Hello John gotta new motor !  Welcome to the jungle....etc .I have already decided with your intro that you will be good in this job.

Go for the pitch,don’t be greedy,small main road site low overheads.Milk the fact you are a firefighter,the punters will like that.We will guide you,just keep asking the questions. Good luck.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Welcome John, 

you will find the advise differs in this forum which isn’t a bad thing. 

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your margins for now, more importantly your in having a go and turning a profit, I feel sometimes you can read to much and never act on it. 

Whats your local support network like, paint shop, mot garage, mechanic, spark, dent guy, Valetor.

these are all vital as you grow best to start building relationships as early on as you can iron out and find out who is worth there weight in gold. 

Ps, how hard can it be to chop a tree down 

Hi, How hard is it to cut a tree down.......very good!,

with the margins I think that comes with experience, i've got a friend who does my current repairs on vans and kit so will use him, MOT same as...dent guy I'm struggling with at the moment, valetor is yours truely, will look to sourcing out if things go well.

Thanks for your reply

PS - How hard can it be to sell a car!?!

a firefighter should be able to stand back from the melee and assess

so your background should be usefull

take the pitch and as suggested play on your trusted firefighting background

just please dont stand at the side of the road waving in a costume like a bear suit as no one will want to see you waving your helmet ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hello John gotta new motor !  Welcome to the jungle....etc .I have already decided with your intro that you will be good in this job.

Go for the pitch,don’t be greedy,small main road site low overheads.Milk the fact you are a firefighter,the punters will like that.We will guide you,just keep asking the questions. Good luck.

Thanks TV, hoping for lots of new motors!!! as for the jungle want to turn a new... leaf so hopefully not barking up the wrong... tree!! (my punns suck!)

Thought the pitch was a bit of a no brainer, i've always kept the firefighting stuff quiet, i'll have a think......

Cheers TV

8 minutes ago, boring dave said:

just please dont stand at the side of the road waving in a costume like a bear suit as no one will want to see you waving your helmet ;)

8 minutes ago, boring dave said:

Thanks Dave,

As for the helmet waving......whatever it takes!

• Like 1

I've read a few times about buyers negotiating cars level with BCA, can it be done? I'm on silver and if I can get a better deal I'll be onto them tomorrow 

19 minutes ago, Firefighter Wash said:

Hi, How hard is it to cut a tree down.......very good!,

with the margins I think that comes with experience, i've got a friend who does my current repairs on vans and kit so will use him, MOT same as...dent guy I'm struggling with at the moment, valetor is yours truely, will look to sourcing out if things go well.

Thanks for your reply

PS - How hard can it be to sell a car!?!

Really easy but buying them right that’s another story. 

Pps good to see someone with a sense of humour far to many serious people in this world.

• Like 1

Avoid BMW ES models, SE is ok but really you want the M Sport models. 

Re: margins, remember prep will soon eat into that and eventually when you become VAT registered. So your example in OP only really works because you prepped it yourself and got away with a tidy up.

New MOT - advisory free, valet, service and repairs + VAT doesn’t leave a lot, so keep this in mind and take advantage of no VAT whilst you can, not by reducing margins but my maintaining them and enjoying the additional money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrV said:

I've read a few times about buyers negotiating cars level with BCA, can it be done? I'm on silver and if I can get a better deal I'll be onto them tomorrow 

Hi mate, BCA Bridgewater said they would consider my case if I was to buy another car in March, I have read on this site that some auctions don't require any buying history,hopefully going to bag something tomorrow and then send another email, nothing to lose!

Cheers 

16 minutes ago, MrV said:

If you don't ask you don't get? You can haggle a deal with BCA and manheim

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Avoid BMW ES models, SE is ok but really you want the M Sport models. 

Re: margins, remember prep will soon eat into that and eventually when you become VAT registered. So your example in OP only really works because you prepped it yourself and got away with a tidy up.

New MOT - advisory free, valet, service and repairs + VAT doesn’t leave a lot, so keep this in mind and take advantage of no VAT whilst you can, not by reducing margins but my maintaining them and enjoying the additional money.

Agree Mark, think there was an element of luck involved rather than good judgement. thanks for the advice, sure I'm going to get bitten on the ass a few times but sometimes you learn more from these experiences than plain sailing.

Cheers

I commend you for having a go and coming here with some tangible information.

I am sure as a Fire Fighter (can’t say fireman anymore), you’ll have dealt with much, much worse situations that the routine shit we experience.

Remember, don’t be a busy fool and make sure you have enough margin in a deal to manage warranty claims as well as proper recon/prep.

Is it you plan to switch (or I guess you’re not far off retirement age (sore subject I bet) for FF)) to motor trade full time? If so, this is your chance to learn while you earn - easier with a safety net.

Edited by Mark101

Welcome firefighter wash, every location is different just try the market to see what sale. Good margins is winning formula.

My thinking is you should be doing your video intro's and conclusions in your uniform, my god what a sales tool. Jealous I am.....

BTW welcome, I'm just up the road in Exeter :) 

BTW2..... Don't buy a Zafira...awful publicity 

2 hours ago, MrV said:

Ben, 

I am pretty certain that BCA will put Silver account holders on a gold "trial" 

As long as you buy 6 cars in the 6 month "trial" you will be at Gold level. You will need to maintain the buying levels etc 

Also, welcome Firefighter Wash. You will get excellent advice on here. Great community !

Edited by L-P
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

I commend you for having a go and coming here with some tangible information.

I am sure as a Fire Fighter (can’t say fireman anymore), you’ll have dealt with much, much worse situations that the routine shit we experience.

Remember, don’t be a busy fool and make sure you have enough margin in a deal to manage warranty claims as well as proper recon/prep.

Is it you plan to switch (or I guess you’re not far off retirement age (sore subject I bet) for FF)) to motor trade full time? If so, this is your chance to learn while you earn - easier with a safety net.

Not planning on retiring any time soon, service have changed their requirements, think they were losing too many good people who still had plenty to offer, fitness test now every 2 years, was planning on setting up with motors to work along side fire stuff,  although i'm on call for 63hrs a week this is only cover so not always on a job, hence plenty of time available.

I would apply for membership to the dealers only section it could take a few months so best apply now, talking about margins out in the big wide public world gives the public the impression we are all minted. 

26 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

My thinking is you should be doing your video intro's and conclusions in your uniform, my god what a sales tool. Jealous I am.....

BTW welcome, I'm just up the road in Exeter :) 

BTW2..... Don't buy a Zafira...awful publicity 

Thanks AD, Think the service may have a problem with this, I'm up Exeter fairy regularly so may pop in for a brew see how its done!

2 minutes ago, Firefighter Wash said:

Thanks AD, Think the service may have a problem with this, I'm up Exeter fairy regularly so may pop in for a brew see how its done!

You’ll need to make an appointment and pay a deposit :lol:.

Sorry AD :P

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I would apply for membership to the dealers only section it could take a few months so best apply now, talking about margins out in the big wide public world gives the public the impression we are all minted. 

I got access within 24 hours.....

But I knew the secret handshake :lol::lol:

Just now, L-P said:

I got access within 24 hours.....

But I knew the secret handshake :lol::lol:

Are you sure it was there hand you was shaking, there goes the tone 

Just now, justina3 said:

Are you sure it was there hand you was shaking, there goes the tone 

Whatever it takes...…….