Sign in to follow this  
c_cars

Interviewing a trainee, any tips?

Ok, so I'm looking to employ a trainee sales executive and I'm after some advice.

I've put out a couple of adverts and I've managed to short list a few candidates that I'm looking to interview over the next few days. 

But.. Having never been interviewed for a job in my career what should I be asking, or what should I be looking for in an interview?

Any advice or tips?

Interviewing can be made more complicated than it needs to be. In reality all you need to know are three things: Will the candidate be able to do the job, will they enjoy it (i.e do they want to do it) and most importantly, will they fit in with the culture of your organisation. A positive answer to all three and you have a winner.

• Like 1

as James says most important ' Can I work with that person' if the answer is yes then all the other bits come after ! competent , smart, attitude you'll know within few mins if they will fit in with you ..! Good luck- keep us posted ! 

I always ask them how good they are at solitaire, if the answer is yes then you know when they're left alone that's all they'll be doing on the computer whilst you're out instead of making the pitch look nice. 

• Like 1

The part about can I work with the makes sense, certainly from my point of view. I've swapped from working as a purchasing/buyer to moving towards the car trade, I'm 41 and took a large drop in salary because I love cars and if I didn't believe the business could succeed or more importantly if I couldn't work with the person who owns the business then I wouldn't have joined. 

Personally you you have to get on with them, enjoy the work and if they are prepared to give and take and treat the business as it was there ownthenyou could be on to a winner.

prepared to give and take and treat the business as it was there own then you could be on to a winner.

​Hit the nail on the head there, being only a small site that's the most important thing for me as I'm guilty of doing all the hours under the sun and I need that motivation from someone else who's just as keen.

I think an informal chat will do the job though, thanks for all the tips and advice guys, google searching interview techniques fried my brain a bit!! B)

Edited by Chris

Chris, in my experience you always get the people who come across well at interviews but they are not necessarily the best!

Good manners, respectful, good timekeeper, organised with an awesome positive attitude who is still willing to learn! That's the person you need! 

My daughter who trained as a midwife found it hard at first to get a foothold in the job market as there is a shortage of midwifery position , so using her positive attitude she went for an interview for an internship for a year to give her the required job experience,at the end of her interview she was asked "why should we take you on for this internship?" To which she replied, "BECAUSE I'M AWESOME!"

now theres a positive attitude! The interview had no reply apart from to offer her the position ;-)

• Like 2