Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

Audi A4 1.8t Tfsi Rattle

Bought one of the above, no problem for the first 60 miles or so then i noticed a strange idling pattern where it would sound like a diesel rather then a petrol, this would come and go. Few more miles then eml on, said camshaft sensor, changed this, light back on. Had someone else look at it, said timing has slipped and needs new chain......... 600 quid later and car still has the occasional rattle but he said light has remained off so i picked it up. Drove it and less than 7 miles later light is back on. At my wits end with it now, anyone come across this, not had many petrol audis previously if I'm honest.......... Won't be getting any in the future either. 

Sounds like timing chain to me, bad idle and camshaft position sensor fault stinks of a stretched chain.

I had to do one recently on the same engine, if I remember rightly it set me back about £1000 using proper Audi bits changing guides etc.

Sorry didn’t read you have already had the chain done. Did they change all the guides etc aswell? Also have they put a euros cheap chain on it?

Edited by James01

15 minutes ago, boring dave said:

could it be a pre detonation problem

Superknock is a problem on all turbocharged direct injection petrol engines!

Walnut blasting is the way forward.

Although, i would expect to see misfire codes rather that timing issue codes.

5 minutes ago, tradex said:

Wow, so they can't retard enough to stop the pinking? How badly coked up to they get? 

I love a VAG thread, even more so when I'm cussing a bulb change on a Megane:D

French POS:P

Yes, the valves don't get washed with fuel...  mix that in with PCV dumping oily air back though the inlet and they get manky dorty! (local dialect)

We have made a contraption using an old henry hoover and it gets them wonderfully clean.

Although it is messy and makes the workshop into a skating rink.

Reading with interest, sorry to hijack! but read the walnut blasting bit :blink:.. got 2010 50k Mini losing the odd bit of blue/white smoke after idle/pulling away etc.. all points to valve seals (an infamous R56), but local workshop mentioned walnut blasting "could" sort this.. was shown boroscope images of how dirty inlet valves are, two of plugs appear to be fouling more than the others.. timing belt is a little noisy too.. its slot at the workshop is up and coming but unsure how far to go to find the cure / prevent parts darts etc

Would a walnut help the "relieve" the issue with valve seals, cant see it myself but am prepared to be advised otherwise... Would walnut be the same as carbon blasting?? Have a remapping guy local now offering carbon blasting...... All input greatly appreciate (as always) ;)

2 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Reading with interest, sorry to hijack! but read the walnut blasting bit :blink:.. got 2010 50k Mini losing the odd bit of blue/white smoke after idle/pulling away etc.. all points to valve seals (an infamous R56), but local workshop mentioned walnut blasting "could" sort this.. was shown boroscope images of how dirty inlet valves are, two of plugs appear to be fouling more than the others.. timing belt is a little noisy too.. its slot at the workshop is up and coming but unsure how far to go to find the cure / prevent parts darts etc

Would a walnut help the "relieve" the issue with valve seals, cant see it myself but am prepared to be advised otherwise... Would walnut be the same as carbon blasting?? Have a remapping guy local now offering carbon blasting...... All input greatly appreciate (as always) ;)

That will be the oil rings , they get gummed up and remain closed , hence the oil burning smoke after idling .

Walnut blasting is a waste as you have to remove the head for the rings , so parts washer sorts that job , lap the valves back in , new gaskets and bingo its all ok till next time .

The two dirty plugs diagnose that too . Carbon build up in those engines is because they run super hot .

By the way they have Chains not belts as well . Chains stretch and while its in pieces you would be mad not to fit a new one , + tensioner 

Minis do need experience nowdays :rolleyes: little buggars 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

That will be the oil rings , they get gummed up and remain closed , hence the oil burning smoke after idling .

Walnut blasting is a waste as you have to remove the head for the rings , so parts washer sorts that job , lap the valves back in , new gaskets and bingo its all ok till next time .

The two dirty plugs diagnose that too . Carbon build up in those engines is because they run super hot .

By the way they have Chains not belts as well . Chains stretch and while its in pieces you would be mad not to fit a new one , + tensioner 

Minis do need experience nowdays :rolleyes: little buggars 

I agree wholeheartedly.... Experience tells you not to bother with them ;)

Thanks a lot David, confirms a few thoughts I had after hearing of the "blasting solution"... When you mention oil rings do you mean the vale seals? The same lads who had the boroscope said they thought the chains were on their way due to general age and wear and tear (noise they associate with this problem), they also told me the piston rings we good; just its carboned up and would benefit from a blast.. its a one owner petrol Cooper S, full history in PX not owing me a lot.

Been sat a few months as I suspect it'll do better in spring summer once fettled, been running it the last couple of weeks now the ice as gone and BINGO, got a tail full of smoke in a car park the other afternoon after waiting a while to leave.. Had the same on over run down a couple of hills too.. Now this white/blue cloud seems to follow me if left to idle for any time... Just want it right before it goes so any billies do not get over excited at seeing the same clouds of smoke.. The lads in the garage suggested it really isnt too bad and its me being p*ssy, they think I should just retail it as is.. they feel the smoke being produce is about normal for the age/mileage/history... it is not drinking oil.. with the head off I'd opt for any other parts to be replaced whilst in there I guess:(

Cheers;)

Trade it out.... let someone else suffer with it.

To cure that oil burning issue will cost mega bucks... where do you stop? Piston Rings, Stem Seals, Valve Guides, Turbocharge, Timing Chains.... Big End Bearings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tradex said:

This plus 1

+ another 1. This has all the hallmarks of a job where one thing leads to another to another & to another.

• Like 1

Thanks again, I'm going to go the path suggested! Just get shut as is, the more advice I receive its all pointing the same way.. Get shut! I'd left in in the corner over winter as its a tricky little one to drive, a license loser buts sticks a great smile on your face! Thought spring would be a better time to see the back of it, until the smoking issue becoming a talking point this week.. Apart from this lump in the front end with problems, its a nice car ~ best for then enthusiast to get it right I'd say...

TGIF ~ I'll get on to shifting the Mini tomorrow and get into something else that's worth the effort!

Cheers all, thanks for looking in and the advice/experience, mucho appreciated