Paul5

Recommendation

Hello all

So my first request, of many no doubt!

I'm good for mobile diag and clutch/gearbox but does anyone have any recommendations for a good mobile mechanic/garage in the Kingston/Surbiton area please.

Thanks

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul5 said:

Hello all

I'm good for mobile diag and clutch/gearbox but does anyone have any recommendations for a good mobile mechanic/garage in the Kingston/Surbiton area please.

Thanks

Paul

Surbiton !,mobile mechanic with a van outside your house.What would Margot Leadbetter say about that.

If you want to find a good value workshop,you could ask a taxi driver or a Euro Parts van driver if you have no joy here.

Yeah, they can be a bit snooty so need to be careful! 

Hoping someone may be from fairly nearby but unlikely I suppose!

find a local garage thats independent always busy and definately      NOT     in some scheme saying how good they are coz they bought the diploma and they can clean your oil too

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, boring dave said:

find a local garage thats independent always busy and definately      NOT     in some scheme saying how good they are coz they bought the diploma and they can clean your oil too

Sounds like good advice to me, thanks Dave

Given your area you will have a raft of local johnny foreigners who will do simple tasks fer kesh and keep your costs down. I’m not suggesting you pull any old herbert in to change the brakes of your stock vehicles but you should be able to find a decent reliable Eastern European with a good set of kit and keen to earn some folding. 

Unless you home is totally private, do not have mobile mechanics coming to your home fixing your cars, you'll be asking for aggro from your neighbours.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, EPV said:

Given your area you will have a raft of local johnny foreigners who will do simple tasks fer kesh and keep your costs down. I’m not suggesting you pull any old herbert in to change the brakes of your stock vehicles but you should be able to find a decent reliable Eastern European with a good set of kit and keen to earn some folding. 

LOL @ EPV, we're not back in the good ole days now ;) 

But how the fuck will you explain that to HMRC, and possibly more relevant, how do you explain that to the cops / civil courts / your 3rd party liability insurer if the unthinkable happens and a vehicle defect causes an accident ?

First thing they will ask ........... "Who fitted the Chinese Lower Swivel that fell apart at 70mph on a left hand bend and wiped out 2 families" :rolleyes:

As the Professional Car Dealer, your arse is on the line !!

Back to Red Adair quote ;) .....................

"If you think its expensive hiring a professional etc etc" ;) 

And no, I'm not trying to be the monger of doom, there is one such court case going on locally, EBay ball joint, local garage been taken on by guys with no training, all cash work, well heeled IOS lady ends up upside down in the ditch, lower swivel let go :(

2 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

LOL @ EPV, we're not back in the good ole days now ;) 

But how the fuck will you explain that to HMRC, and possibly more relevant, how do you explain that to the cops / civil courts / your 3rd party liability insurer if the unthinkable happens and a vehicle defect causes an accident ?

First thing they will ask ........... "Who fitted the Chinese Lower Swivel that fell apart at 70mph on a left hand bend and wiped out 2 families" :rolleyes:

As the Professional Car Dealer, your arse is on the line !!

Back to Red Adair quote ;) .....................

"If you think its expensive hiring a professional etc etc" ;) 

Leave it out Dave. We’re talking about a bloke starting out doing a few cars from a driveway trying to keep costs down whilst he’s learning. 

I did say i’m not encouraging him to pull in any old herbert from a bus stop but to find a keen qualified local lad who chases the pound note. When he expands and takes on more complicated stuff and larger volume he can seek out a brick and mortar place. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EPV said:

I did say i’m not encouraging him to pull in any old herbert from a bus stop but to find a keen qualified local lad who chases the pound note.

Fair enough, apologies etc :wub:

I wasn't having a pop at you, just giving advice to the new guy to make sure that his bookwork is nice and tidy, and at very least ensure that anyone who works on his sales cars has 3rd party liability cover ;)

LOL, but as usual I waffled on with a "full story example" ;)

17 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Fair enough, apologies etc :wub:

I wasn't having a pop at you, just giving advice to the new guy to make sure that his bookwork is nice and tidy, and at very least ensure that anyone who works on his sales cars has 3rd party liability cover ;)

LOL, but as usual I waffled on with a "full story example" ;)

I agree and i’m sure OP will have his ducks in a row. 

for whats its worth a customer of mine had a bottom arm fitted on a mk3 fiesta (remember them?) anyway it was a main agent and they failed to put the correct arm on there were two types she got 300 yards the arm came out damaged the wing  and blocked the road as car sat 3 wheels on its arse

, she got her legals on it and to keep it out of the papers they gave her a brand new car,this one was over 3 years old

22 hours ago, EPV said:

Can't get rid of the quote box! 

Thanks again everyone. Some very good advice there and definitely some food for thought! 

Sorry to jack this thread but I can’t start one for some reason. What’s you guys recommendations for engine bay cleaning....tools, Chems etc? 

5 minutes ago, Leekent said:

Sorry to jack this thread but I can’t start one for some reason. What’s you guys recommendations for engine bay cleaning....tools, Chems etc? 

Don’t do it unless it really really needs it.

Then as little water as possible after a soaking of TFR (avoid obvious electricals).  I then soak the lot in WD40 to prevent corrosion, repel any water that did unavoidably come into contact with electrical contacts.

Only thing worse than a dirty engine = a broken clean one.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 1

Jet wash the bay itself, the outer part, don’t touch the engine.  

Spray degreaser on the engine cover and other plastic covers, battery covers, head etc. Wipe off with some paper towels. Spray on some auto glym vinyl and rubber care, close the bonnet and run the engine for 10 mins. Open the bonnet and mop up any pools of the auto glym stuff. Voila. 

This is more than enough to give the engine a look of being clean and a little sheen without actually touching anything that matters with chemicals or worse, water. If you’re looking to be very careful, bag up any terminals or wiring with clingfilm or sandwich bags and twisties but it’s a lot safer to just get the leaves and shit blasted out of the edges of the bay and make the plastics shine a little. Job done in 5 mins plus 10 mins drying time. 

• Like 1

cut the bonnet cable

only anoraks look under there these days

and we all hate anoraks

mmmmmm that bolt head looks anc thread im sure in 1922 it was whitworth......................smieeeeey 2.png

11 minutes ago, EPV said:

Jet wash the bay itself, the outer part, don’t touch the engine.  

Spray degreaser on the engine cover and other plastic covers, battery covers, head etc. Wipe off with some paper towels. Spray on some auto glym vinyl and rubber care, close the bonnet and run the engine for 10 mins. Open the bonnet and mop up any pools of the auto glym stuff. Voila. 

This is more than enough to give the engine a look of being clean and a little sheen without actually touching anything that matters with chemicals or worse, water. If you’re looking to be very careful, bag up any terminals or wiring with clingfilm or sandwich bags and twisties but it’s a lot safer to just get the leaves and shit blasted out of the edges of the bay and make the plastics shine a little. Job done in 5 mins plus 10 mins drying time. 

What degreaser do you use ? Thanks 

19 minutes ago, DPF said:

What degreaser do you use ? Thanks 

Anything. 

I had chemical guys orange degreaser and then I just got some “no nonsense” degreaser from Screwfix. 

• Like 1

On 05/02/2019 at 5:17 PM, Paul5 said:

Hello all

Thanks

Paul

MP Brentford Ltd

Its not too far from Kingston. He's an old boy. Fairly large garage. Knows his stuff. 

To all those that say "cash in hand" is not good for your books.

Well sorry to say but just 20 years ago cash was king. Cash was accepted everywhere. Credit cards weren't as much and lets not start about cheque books.

Funny how overtime something can be criminal or money laundering.

Yet most on here call themselves old boys...think you're just forgetting how important cash was. 

Current payment methods prove nothing. They only allow the state to monitor your activity and track your whereabouts via cctv. Perhaps a read of Orwells 1984 might help.... Oh modern payment methods are very exploitable by criminals too...and if you're a victim then the authorities will do very little to recall the transaction...

5 hours ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

To all those that say "cash in hand" is not good for your books.

Well sorry to say but just 20 years ago cash was king. Cash was accepted everywhere. Credit cards weren't as much and lets not start about cheque books.

Funny how overtime something can be criminal or money laundering.

Yet most on here call themselves old boys...think you're just forgetting how important cash was. 

Current payment methods prove nothing. They only allow the state to monitor your activity and track your whereabouts via cctv. Perhaps a read of Orwells 1984 might help.... Oh modern payment methods are very exploitable by criminals too...and if you're a victim then the authorities will do very little to recall the transaction...

As an "old boy" of the Motor Trade, I couldn't agree more with you, and I'm sure as you rightly say, many have "had it off" in the good old halcyon days with Cash deals ...................

These days, as you rightly point out, this is infinitely more traceable, and as has been said elsewhere, HMRC only need a sniff of a Cash payment that may be perfectly innocent, but if it was 4 years ago you may not be able to remember it and explain it .....................

And then, you have a whole heap of shit descend on your head from a great height !!

Cash for me, these days, is simply an extra task, to go to the Post Office, pay that exact amount in, and then clip the receipt to my Sales Invoice.

Bank Transfer is my preferred method.

Mel's old Mum is a royal pain in the arse, when I settle her Newspaper / Milk account with the local shop, and then she gives me Cash a week later, I have to be very careful to note all that on my Personal Account Statements these days ........................ "Just in case" :( 

57 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

As an "old boy" of the Motor Trade, I couldn't agree more with you, and I'm sure as you rightly say, many have "had it off" in the good old halcyon days with Cash deals ...................

These days, as you rightly point out, this is infinitely more traceable, and as has been said elsewhere, HMRC only need a sniff of a Cash payment that may be perfectly innocent, but if it was 4 years ago you may not be able to remember it and explain it .....................

And then, you have a whole heap of shit descend on your head from a great height !!

Cash for me, these days, is simply an extra task, to go to the Post Office, pay that exact amount in, and then clip the receipt to my Sales Invoice.

Mel's old Mum is a royal pain in the arse, when I settle her Newspaper / Milk account with the local shop, and then she gives me Cash a week later, I have to be very careful to note all that on my Personal Account Statements these days ........................ "Just in case" :( 

I can imagine an inspectors response ‘so when you settle this account,how do you do it,what time of day,do you declare the journey etc.in your business vehicle for corporate governance purposes ?

On the other hand,I was in the local and watched this guy just hand over plastic for a round of drinks and it is scanned and handed back.So I said,do you not get a receipt for that,how do you know you have been charged correctly.The look I got,I think he thought I was stupid !

4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

I would tell the jobsworth to do one. And explain to him cash isnt crime. 

Some old people sttill prefer cash.

I had a 45yr old geeky banker once the twerpy type who paid me in red notes. And he too said it that cash is seen as crime. 

He even said he had been to see a few cars and people wouldn't accept cash lol

In the UK we seem to get paranoid and worry too much. No thanks to our media they breathe crap down our throats. Whether its healthy eating or brexist