A & S

Keyless Entry / Start - Worries

Anyone else had any issues with keyless entry / start cars? 

Last night at 2am we had someone attempted to steal a Range Rover Evoque from our site, the person / people broke in to the office hoping the keys for the cars were left there overnight. A search was made in our office but thankfully no big mess was made and nothing was taken (no keys and V5s are left there overnight). They did leave a pair of boxer shorts outside the office. They then tried to open the Evoque by from the door handle and the alarm went off, they then ran off up the road where possibly another car was waiting.

Seen a few posts on Facebook where BMWs and RangeRovers have been stolen. Think this is the next in thing for car thieves.  

I've had the garage nearly 17 years, first time had any sort of problem. 

hi A & S

they might just be chancers but

they've been seen and know you have no physical deterrents so this needs addressing

first cctv (make sure hard drive impossible to find) and security lights are a must these days and advertise the fact

if theres only one way onto your property put a physical barrier there even if its a scrapper and disable it every night

if in a unit make every entry a challenge,make sure shutter doors cant be opened by slowly backing a vehicle into them and if they do get in make sure they cant use any electrics 

lock anything from toolboxes to computers

offer a local reward

last time i was broken into they came through the roof and went everywhere but near my alarm pickup thats wired to the telephone system,how did they know that? people who burgle are usually people who know you have gained your trust in some way so know the setup im convinced of this

3 minutes ago, boring dave said:

hi A & S

they might just be chancers but

they've been seen and know you have no physical deterrents so this needs addressing

first cctv (make sure hard drive impossible to find) and security lights are a must these days and advertise the fact

if theres only one way onto your property put a physical barrier there even if its a scrapper and disable it every night

if in a unit make every entry a challenge,make sure shutter doors cant be opened by slowly backing a vehicle into them and if they do get in make sure they cant use any electrics 

lock anything from toolboxes to computers

offer a local reward

last time i was broken into they came through the roof and went everywhere but near my alarm pickup thats wired to the telephone system,how did they know that? people who burgle are usually people who know you have gained your trust in some way so know the setup im convinced of this

Thanks Dave for the advice, we have cctv, couldn't see alot as it was a little way from the camera and was dark, the car is now 4 cars deep. Before it was right at the front with nothing in front. The keyless entry/start cars are in fashion with car thieves I think. 

1 hour ago, A & S said:

The keyless entry/start cars are in fashion with car thieves I think. 

This is well documented on every crime watch type program and the reason it is now so difficult to cut JLR keys.

4 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

This is well documented on every crime watch type program and the reason it is now so difficult to cut JLR keys.

i dont think these types go to the timpsons of this world though as they have their steel segs fitted;)

According to an article last week, JLR cars (at least new ones) are the only cars that can avoid the keyless entry issues (though finding the keys sorts this). Friend had his M6 taken from home a fortnight ago by bouncing signal from the front of the house....glad my cars are keyless entry, though could do with my son finding the spare to his Focus or it will just be keyless....

Keyless entry and obd theft is a massive problem now. Fords are one of the easiest to bypass apparently, fiesta’s and focus’ are going missing by the ship load.

I follow a local stolen cars page on Facebook and there’s at least 10-15 cars a day being reported stolen on there just within a 30mile radius. Plus there’s bound to be more stolen and not posted on there if owners aren’t on Facebook. 

I’ve got to admit that pressing the fob to unlock the car isn’t too much of a hassle. Could never see the point of keyless. 

Supposedly someone had a BMW nicked when their wife left her key in her handbag in the car.