Sign in to follow this  
RhinoHorn

Service History and GDPR

Is anyone else struggling to get service history and failing?

We're trying to buy a Merc A Class - independent dealer says it has full Merc history. Any proof? It's all online. Call Mercedes UK, they say they can't confirm when the services were carried out. So we have to either take a punt, buy it and then hope we can get the service history or walk away.

We are finding it more and more now just wondering if anyone has any tips to navigate our way round it? I don't understand why we can't be told: Service date xxxx Mileage xxxx - no names given out etc. Surely that's ok??

Mercedes are difficult about it all. You need the V5 in your name, or, V5 and proof of purchase.

Audi and BMW are much easier to deal with.

Ring Mercedes UK, ask them to confirm if the car has been through their franchises and how many times. They won't tell you anymore than that I reckon.

When you have the V5 and proof of purchase, if you email it to MB UK they will send you the history.

Failing that, find yourself a good indy who has access to MB's systems and reward him for such information... 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Good shout on your approach. I will let you know if we get any joy. 

We have been having issues with BMW as well. It seems it is occurring more and more. Incredibly frustrating. 

2 minutes ago, RhinoHorn said:

Thanks for the reply. Good shout on your approach. I will let you know if we get any joy. 

We have been having issues with BMW as well. It seems it is occurring more and more. Incredibly frustrating. 

Just hang up and speak to someone else. I never have a problem with BMW. Just ask them for the name of the franchises and ring each one directly.

Mercedes are very easy to get the history out of. 

Just email a copy of the trade purchase invoice, front page of the V5 and a short covering letter requesting  the service history to cs.uk@cac.mercedes-benz.com. They will email it back within a day or two. No GDPR issues as you have a logitimate interest in the vehicle. 

• Like 3

wouldnt it be nice if we could stick a nice polite letter in those old red things often with a cheque for a £10 ASKING FOR SPARE KEYS SERVICE HISTORY like in the old days though

• Like 3

So it turns out that the Full dealer Mercedes Service history advertised with the vehicle was complete shit and the car hasn't been serviced at Mercedes at all. We spoke to our local Mercedes dealer who looked up the service history for us. 

We walked away.

21 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Mercedes are very easy to get the history out of. 

Just email a copy of the trade purchase invoice, front page of the V5 and a short covering letter requesting  the service history to cs.uk@cac.mercedes-benz.com. They will email it back within a day or two. No GDPR issues as you have a logitimate interest in the vehicle. 

Thank you, that's really useful (insert thumbs up emoji)

19 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RhinoHorn said:

So it turns out that the Full dealer Mercedes Service history advertised with the vehicle was complete shit

i would report this to be honest

even if you only flag it up with say autotrader

i see it as unfair advertising

makes no difference if its b2b

they are trying to lift your leg

BMW has always been helpful, even with GDPR. Nissan and Mazda I think also has a central database, and Mazda always email it over. Mercedes are kind of fussy, but you'll sometimes get someone helpful who gives you the details.

But yeah it's proving a pain especially when applying for a new V5, and you dont even have the previous owners details anymore.

Not sure why telling you details about the car's services violates GDPR but hey.

On 24/01/2019 at 0:57 PM, boring dave said:

i would report this to be honest

even if you only flag it up with say autotrader

i see it as unfair advertising

makes no difference if its b2b

they are trying to lift your leg

I'd report it too. That's not cheeky, that's plain not right.

I assume it’s all getting difficult because they don’t want people constantly pestering them for service records.